Clear/translucent Anal Discharge

benz

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks for that Starkeyre....trust me I will be keeping a VERY close eye on him. FYI, it shouldnt be worms, been wormed every 2 weeks since birth. I will get him to the vet in the morning if he's still showing symptoms.

Yeppers T. Benz did mention that the dog has been regularly wormed but didn't say whether or not this had been done a day or so before the problem presented.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the vet wormed the pup at the same time he gave it a C5... *grin*

I'm also willing to guess that he used Drontal to worm the pup...

Which will probably mean that the pup has an upset gut/system that probably will do just fine on boiled chicken and rice for a few days to a week to settle the tummy down. Maybe some scourban if the squirts are prevalent...

May I suggest to benz, that the next time they need to worm the pup, they don't do it at the same time he has a vaccination... and use a less "vigorous" wormer like Canex or Fenpral at least 24 hours BEFORE or AFTER the vaccination.

Should I hazard a guess as to which particular type of worm will give a dog the jelly discharge?

T.

You CAN get a false positive for Parvo after an MLV vaccine... your vet may be in need of double checking his advice...

T.

I was just telling what the vet said but..ok, so i'll just ignore what a QUALIFIED vet says and take advice from someone on a internet forum shall I???? Sorry mate but I have no idea who you are. I just had a pervo test done 5 days after a vaccination and it was negative

Wow, just so rude Benz. As has now been explained, you certainly can get a false positive parvo result following vacs sometimes.

I do hope you stick around as DOL is a wealth of knowledge.

Glad it was nothing serious

Honestly, your pup has had a dicky gut and been lethargic for about a week and your vet recommends you stuff some more chemicals down it's throat??? Time to think about the advice you are being given, and it really doesn't matter how much you paid for it.

The vet has probably prescibed medication in order to restore the dog to optimum health.

When one of my dogs is unwell I happily take veterinary advice to "stuff chemicals down it's throat" if medication is required to get my dog well again.

That's why I took the dog to the vet in the first place. If I thought I knew better than the vet I wouldn't bother taking my sick dog to the vet.

The vet has sold some "medication" to take care of a "parasite" the pup "might" have got from the neighbours cat's poo.

Um - does the pup have intestinal worms or not? It really isn't rocket science to establish this fact before prescribing yet another assault on it's compromised digestive system.

I have had a pup with hookworm which was resistant to all approved canine wormers at the time. That caused some consternation because the pup had come from another country, through all the import requirements (vet checks, worming with approved chemicals etc) and in the end we had lab assistants from two different pharmaceutical companies crawling all over our dog paddock collecting samples for analysis from all the other dogs this pup had been in contact with.

The pup was eventually given ivermectin, the first *recorded* time a vet gave this to a dog, vet was as pleased as punch to be able to write that one up for the vet journals :laugh:

Through it all not once did my vet suggest the pup be given "just one more" dose of wormer, every single time he suggested a course of action it was backed up with actual proof the pup actually had worms. This pup came very close to dying and in fact was only given ivermectin while another vet was standing by with the green dream ready in case the ivermectin went badly.

The cause of all this drama - indiscriminate use of wormers. Drench resistance is a very well known phenomenon in the livestock world and most people on here probably know how Frontline is as good as water against fleas in some areas.

Sorry - it's really not that hard to do a quick fecal check, especially when dealing with a young pup with digestive tract issues.

Edited by Sandra777

I agree Sandra,

Organism resistance to many of the biocidal chemicals (antibiotics, drenches, anthelmintics, ectoparasite treatment or preventatives etc etc) is becoming a huge problem and to be truthful what used to be called "bucket pharmacy" should no longer be practiced. Any substance given to our dogs or to ourselves should only be administered with proof or high cause to believe that it IS necessary.

I agree Sandra,

Organism resistance to many of the biocidal chemicals (antibiotics, drenches, anthelmintics, ectoparasite treatment or preventatives etc etc) is becoming a huge problem and to be truthful what used to be called "bucket pharmacy" should no longer be practiced. Any substance given to our dogs or to ourselves should only be administered with proof or high cause to believe that it IS necessary.

What scares me most is the advice given at the surgery to 'do the dosing' without the testing.

Takes consumer confidence to discuss with the professional other options.

Edited by VizslaMomma

I agree Sandra,

What scares me most is the advice given at the surgery to 'do the dosing' without the testing.

Takes consumer confidence to discuss with the professional other options.

Owners need to be proactive these days and it's best to always have the bigger picture in mind, especially when drugs are prescribed without proof of need. Just a one-off dose for this puppy may not hurt but if it isnt the fix for the problem then begins a cycle of "try this, come back if it doesnt work" and so on, sometimes with more money being spent than on a work-up of the problem to determine precisely what the issue is. There is also the very important and bigger aspect of multi-drug resistance often brought about by indiscriminant prescription and use of drugs without proper testing or proof of need.

I'd love to know the name of the drug prescribed in this case... if only to work out what the vet thinks it may be without doing any testing to know for sure.

I think we've scared benz off now though... *sigh*

Funny how many people come here, ask questions, get sound advice - then turn around and bleat "I will listen to my 'experienced' vet" when they've quite obviously been overserviced by same vet.

What do they say about fools and money?

T.

Owners need to be proactive these days and it's best to always have the bigger picture in mind, especially when drugs are prescribed without proof of need. Just a one-off dose for this puppy may not hurt but if it isnt the fix for the problem then begins a cycle of "try this, come back if it doesnt work" and so on, sometimes with more money being spent than on a work-up of the problem to determine precisely what the issue is. There is also the very important and bigger aspect of multi-drug resistance often brought about by indiscriminant prescription and use of drugs without proper testing or proof of need.

Well said.

:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to know the name of the drug prescribed in this case... if only to work out what the vet thinks it may be without doing any testing to know for sure.

I think we've scared benz off now though... *sigh*

Funny how many people come here, ask questions, get sound advice - then turn around and bleat "I will listen to my 'experienced' vet" when they've quite obviously been overserviced by same vet.

What do they say about fools and money?

T.