Min Pin Grump

Fevah

Hey guys,

I have three Miniature Pinschers as some of you know, the oldest is turning 7 this year, the second is turning 6 in a week and the third is almost 3 years old. The older two, Remy and Jacques, are desexed but the youngest Etienne is entire.

Now over the last year I've started noticing some worrying behaviour from Etienne and I'm not sure how to best manage it.

He seems to be dog aggressive when he feels 'confined' - so on the leash, in the crate or if you pick him up when he's around a certain dog (friend's Jack Russell mix desexed male, though they met when they were both entire). It was mainly just growling and hackles and a stiff gait but the other day I took my boys to my parents house and when we were heading home I put both Remy and Etienne in the crate and they started going at it. I opened the crate to let them out and unfortunately someone got me on the end of my finger (I'm assuming Etienne but who knows). Now, I've determined that I will buy him a harness for the car because Remy and Jacques are more than happy to stay in the crate on car trips and never had any problems (and Etienne is very well behaved in the car on his own). At home they all seem very calm and on their best behaviour apart from Etienne's occasional posturing and 'warning' growl to Remy (but again, I'm not the best with dog body language so I'm unsure if he is being challenged by Remy or whether Remy is just being defensive) and they've never had a fight in the house. With my friend and her dogs well I suppose I don't have to take mine with me to visit her and vice versa although apart from Etienne being a grump our 'pack of five' works really well.

Easily enough to take him for a walk on his own, walk on a beach where off leash dogs are allowed or move him away from any confrontations with other dogs when we are walking.

Any other ideas or suggestions or advice?

He's posturing - he's now the prime smacking example of a fully fledged healthy breeding male and he's proving the point with the two 'sub canine' males you have. He thinks he's ruling the roost and as for reactivity on lead, well it's piss and vinegar due to frustration. He's got little respect for you too from the sounds of it. Putting him in a crate? You just boosted his reactivity over resources and because the other dog could not be bullied out of Etienne's way it erupted.

He needs to be taken down 20 pegs and your leadership value looked at. I would suggest you contact Mark Singer if you're in SA for his advice and a consult.