Dream Puppy!

DaneLover233

Hi all!

So if all goes well (I find out early April if the matings have taken) my dream puppy (Great Dane) will be born next month :cry: Almost crying with joy right now - I have been wanting a Dane for at least 25 years (I am almost 31 for reference).

So anyway, I haven't had a puppy in the house for so long I'm looking for general pointers on things to do and not to do that I may have forgotten about. I'm all good with the obvious things like how to deal with the first few nights at home and potty training etc :thumbsup:

Also, what is the best way to introduce him to my other dogs, we have 5 so they run as a well oiled machine/pack so I want the new pup to fit in asap.

That's all I can think to ask for now :D

How exciting! Wishing you all the best... beware puppies are destructive lol I have an 6 mo german shepherd who loves to find things in the yard to eat and rip to pieces lol. For a giant breed make sure you follow the breeders food reccomendations and not very much exercise at the young age :D good luck!

Fitting in is all about patience & the tolerance of the others already in an established pack & there age & what there lifestyle has been like & the changes that will take place .

Rushing to make it fit in may not work ,the next 12 months will be all the dogs working out who fits where & maybe having to change scenarios to better suit.

I would suggest making time to understand the dynamics of your current 5 dogs & ask yourself who may not adjust as well & who would be better around the pup at first

Edited by showdog

Thanks guys!

I think there's only one pup who's nose will be out of joint, but she's the eldest & is already queen bee (and only female other than myself in the house) so I dare say she'll assert her position pretty quickly & the other will follow suit!

Puppy proofing here I come!

My youngest is only part Dane, and she is a terrible counter surfer... luckily I can still put most things at the back of the counters where she can't reach... but a full sized Dane will be a different story... errr!

T.

The question "has she gotten bigger?" gets asked everyday around here. Treasure the few weeks you can actually pick your puppy up and make sure anything you let pup do you will still want to do when its 10 times the size... lucky I don't mind big puppy lap cuddles :)

My youngest is only part Dane, and she is a terrible counter surfer... luckily I can still put most things at the back of the counters where she can't reach... but a full sized Dane will be a different story... errr!

T.

Haha oh yes I almost forgot about counter surfing!

The question "has she gotten bigger?" gets asked everyday around here. Treasure the few weeks you can actually pick your puppy up and make sure anything you let pup do you will still want to do when its 10 times the size... lucky I don't mind big puppy lap cuddles :)

My friend has a 6 month old Dane pup who I see 1-2 times a week and each time she gets bigger & more beautiful. It amazes me how quick they grow!

I've been watching old videos of honey the Great Dane trying to teach myself how to teach my Dane to have manners etc like honey

You might not have trouble with counter surfing, I didn't have that problem with my two Danes. Teaching a good 'leave it' command is very important :)

Do you have an equivalent for a Vizsla? LOL.

Herbie The Horrible is (almost) a professional counter surfer.

:eek:

You might not have trouble with counter surfing, I didn't have that problem with my two Danes. Teaching a good 'leave it' command is very important :)

I'd actually like to teach him to stay away from the kitchen anyway, possibly using the tape method like Honey the Great Dane got taught

I'd actually like to teach him to stay away from the kitchen anyway, possibly using the tape method like Honey the Great Dane got taught

That was going to be my tip, watch all you can of Honey. :D

That was going to be my tip, watch all you can of Honey. :D

Such a smart girl she was! I still follow her owners blog too

Do you have an equivalent for a Vizsla? LOL.

Herbie The Horrible is (almost) a professional counter surfer.

:eek:

haha! Oh no that must be tough!

It wasn't really because of anything important I did, they just happened not to counter surf. One of them was very uninterested in food, the other just never seems to take stuff from the bench, she takes a lot of other stuff though!

It wasn't really because of anything important I did, they just happened not to counter surf. One of them was very uninterested in food, the other just never seems to take stuff from the bench, she takes a lot of other stuff though!

Not going off topic, we reckon Herbie has the spirit of two earlier dogs that were professional counter surfers. Problem is the flooring is ceramic tiles. Means broken glass if I have been careless.

:mad:cry:

Not going off topic, we reckon Herbie has the spirit of two earlier dogs that were professional counter surfers. Problem is the flooring is ceramic tiles. Means broken glass if I have been careless.

:mad:cry:

If it wasn't so naughty it would be adorable!