Pocket Pits: The Latest X-breed Fad In The Us

sandgrubber

For once you all in Oz can feel grateful you have BSL. I live in an area where pit bulls are the generic working man's dog. They come in a lot of sizes and shapes and temperaments. Some are nightmares. Some are sweet, hardy waggy dogs. Many are a bit dog aggressive and hit the fence, or the end of their chain, when you walk your dog past. Only a small fraction have registered pedigrees.

In the local Craigslist -- the equivalent of Gum Tree -- there has been a sudden appearance of ads for 'pocket pits'. Theoretically these are a Patterdale x APBT cross, but in practice they seem to be pit x some small terrier or terrier mix.

I hope Oz is able to avoid some equivalent sickness. Somehow I can't see a 'pocket staffie' catching on.

Err, I used to have a client who had a beautiful though slightly nutty and extremely dog aggressive Bull Terrier tell me they wanted a miniature staffy next. Upon quizzing them, I deduced what they actually wanted was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier because they thought they were miniature versions of Am. Staffs.

People have no clue!

I have heard about eight different breeds referred to as "bullies" and 2 different breeds referred to as 'staffies' .....it's almost impossible to know what is going on.

Eta....and for me, a 'bully' will always be a Bull Terrier , and a "staffy" will always be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Edited by skyefool

[quote name='sandgrubber' timestamp='1395445123' post='

I hope Oz is able to avoid some equivalent sickness. Somehow I can't see a 'pocket staffie' catching on.

I agree that it's not a great idea to be introducing a new "pocket Pitt" or mini staffy breed but I think there would actually be high demand amongst the general public. Heck, when I compare how much room little Juno takes up in bed compared to the humongous Hunter I could almost be swayed haha not to mention how much he weighs in comparison when he's sitting on my lap /kidney watching tv :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting that you say pit bulls are the workingman's common dog in your area.

In my part of Australia, staffies are far more common than pit bulls BUT a lot of BYB's tend to breed oversize SBT's and also pups advertised as "American [Amstaff] x English [sBT] staffies" seem really common these days and are becoming very popular, which is totally ridiculous given the current laws in this state.

Quite often I find laypersons (including those responsible for applying the particularly brainless form of BSL found in my state) will categorise a bully type as pit bull/pit bull x if it is over a certain height and as a SBT type if under. So you get the ludicrous situations of litter mates being put into different categories. And if the larger ones end up in a pound and are unregistered, it is against the law in my state for the pound to release them for adoption. frown.gif

So forgive me if I do not share you view that it is a good thing about BSL. My view, watching it, is that the kind of responsible owner who will successfully raise and keep a well behaved, community friendly dog is not the kind of owner that is buying these possible pit bull mixes due to the new laws and there are a LOT of pups out there.

I am not surprised that BSL has failed in other places. It is looking like it selects for idiot owners to have the type of restricted breed or cross and very few of them in the hands of responsible owners. Those responsible people who have this type of dog are not going to replace their pet that has died of old age or whatever with the same type and so eventually if BSL continues most of these dogs will be in the hands of idiots and incidences may well increase because of it. frown.gif

So forgive me if I do not share you view that it is a good thing about BSL. My view, watching it, is that the kind of responsible owner who will successfully raise and keep a well behaved, community friendly dog is not the kind of owner that is buying these possible pit bull mixes due to the new laws and there are a LOT of pups out there.

I meant this tongue in cheek!

Sort of like pointing out that if poodles and poodle crosses were banned, there would be less worry about 'oodles.

Can't imagine BSL catching on here cause the #1 target is part of daily life, as much as the SBT is in Oz.

US seems to supersize everything, Bigger = Better so reading that is a bit weird to me laugh.gif Theres been pitterpats for years, but they wernt sold as a mini breed.

Australia on the other hand seem to love mini everything lol.

Sounds like yet another gimmicky cash grab.

US seems to supersize everything, Bigger = Better so reading that is a bit weird to me laugh.gif Theres been pitterpats for years, but they wernt sold as a mini breed.

US goes to extremes on both ends . . . lots of teacups and mini's around. Mini potbelly pigs are increasingly common. Then there are pocket pets = sugar gliders.

I've never heard of a pitterpat . . . googled and, you're right, they've been around for a long time . . . I guess that name doesn't catch on here cause it's too cutesy and the pit crowd goes more for spunk.

US goes to extremes on both ends . . . lots of teacups and mini's around. Mini potbelly pigs are increasingly common. Then there are pocket pets = sugar gliders.

I've never heard of a pitterpat . . . googled and, you're right, they've been around for a long time . . . I guess that name doesn't catch on here cause it's too cutesy and the pit crowd goes more for spunk.

The 'PitterPats' are usually bred for working ability as opposed to pets anyway so probably not overly common for the cutesy side of things.

I see you found google and beat me to it.Pitter pats have been around for a long time and just another cross aimed at a smaller working dog not a cash grab gimmick and not that common.If the truth be known the pit cross was done along way back as a certain breeder that used to breed both had some very suspiciously big patterdales back in the day.So no need to worry yourself they aren't the next killer dog just another verminator.

I see you found google and beat me to it.Pitter pats have been around for a long time and just another cross aimed at a smaller working dog not a cash grab gimmick and not that common.If the truth be known the pit cross was done along way back as a certain breeder that used to breed both had some very suspiciously big patterdales back in the day.So no need to worry yourself they aren't the next killer dog just another verminator.

The dogs being advertized as pocket pitbulls in our area are not described as ratters. The term seems to be being used by rescue organizations to describe smaller pit-like dogs. . . including a girl who looks a bit chihuahua like that was seized in a raid on a dogfighting ring . . .

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/pet/4383249123.html