Puppy Doesn't Like New Sleeping Arrangements

dididog

When we first got Didi we crate trained her for the first few weeks but then she outgrew it (didn't know she was part dane until we bought her wooops) and because all the good beds are pricey I just let her sleep on my bed since I planned on doing this anyway. There are no problems with her sleeping on the bed but she's started shedding A LOT more recently and mum doesn't want her on my bed anymore as it's brand new and her hair and doggy smell is slowly seeping into my doona and mattress protector.

Sooo Didi has been relegated to a cheap but comfy trampoline bed with a comfy blankie in the corner of my room which she will sleep on for most of the night/whenever I'm in my room and on my bed but then she'll wake up in the middle of the night and pace around my room whining and putting her front paws on the bed and this will go on for what seems like hours. Any ideas how to make her settle for the night and not keep me up? Im trying to make it seem more appealing by creating a 'bed time' cue and getting her to lie down and giving her a bikkie or something special but it's not the initial going on the bed that's the problem but her waking up a few hours later and whining. Any suggestions?

Also should I not let her on the bed at all? I don't mind her coming up every now and then for a cuddle or sitting at the end of the bed as it's just the sleeping on it every night which gets the bed manky but I don't know if that will confuse her? She's never had free run of the bed and only gets up on it when I invite her to.

Also before I get any crate suggestions, it is just not spatially feasible in my room or any other room in my house to have a crate that big unless i dismantled it every morning which is extremely inconvenient.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one piece of furniture that my guys are allowed on in the house & it's not my bed. If you don't want her wanting to sleep on your bed, then I wouldn't have her up there at all. The only time my girl gets on my bed is when she is being very silly & I am playing with her...she jumps up & over it before I have time to catch her :laugh: She knows she is being "naughty" :D

oops.. you showed her the best spot to sleep ..and now she's not allowed...

be STRONG. Don't talk to her or anything when she whinges & paws ..nothing,nada. No "go back to bed" nuffin'. IS the trampoline bed comfortable for her ? think about it from her P O V is she perhaps bent the wrong way , with legs on hard bits? can she curl up happily? are there any noises which may come thru the wall and disturb her?.

perhaps ..get a cheap doona and cover ..lay it on your bed for a night , sit on it during teh day for a while .. fold it in half and drape on her bed ... it will be a bit cuddly ..smell of you ..it might help :)

Or ... get a couple of thick sheets ..and use them , one at a time over the top of your bed ! bathe dog every couple of weeks ..brush well each day ( and do your own washing ,so Mum can't complain ... ;)

Edited by persephone

I do my own washing and don't really care much about the smell but my mum really hates things being dirty(even though its my room not hers!) I brush her more or less everyday she just has SO MUCH HAIR!

That's a good point actually, she can't see my from her bed and when she paces she normally flops down on the floor beside where I sleep and when she was in her crate she could always see me... looks like I'll have to start sleeping on the other side of the bed for a bit.

That sounds like a good idea pers, at the moment she has a huge fleecy blanket on her bed which is normally on my bed but maybe she needs something more substantial, there's an old doona in the garage that will do the job.

It is so hard to stay strong, she's so persistent and sounds so sad... I cracked a little and let her on my bed this morning after her early morning wee and we cuddled while I had a sleep in. I want her on my bed as much she wants to be on it, she always sleeps beside me with her head on my pillow and she keeps me nice and warm but I know it isn't the best arrangement... :(

Is it too hot for her on her bed? This would wake her up, make her restless and no she wouldn't think, "oh it'll be hotter on the people-bed", all she'll know is that it was comfy.

If you want her on the bed for cuddles and can sort out the cleanliness issue with your mother, then have a very specific command for when she is allowed to jump up, and an equally specific one for her to get off. ONLY let her on the bed when she has been invited and always make sure she gets off when told.

Our dogs aren't allowed up the hallway where the bedrooms are, but many years ago they used to sleep on the bed and I have never found any difference in their behaviour so don't believe people who tell you it'll do something to her behaviour :)

I want her on my bed as much she wants to be on it, she always sleeps beside me with her head on my pillow and she keeps me nice and warm but I know it isn't the best arrangement...

it is the BEST arrangement if you & your dog like it that way ....another thought - with the weather getting cooler .... TRY THIS

Is it too hot for her on her bed? This would wake her up, make her restless and no she wouldn't think, "oh it'll be hotter on the people-bed", all she'll know is that it was comfy.

If you want her on the bed for cuddles and can sort out the cleanliness issue with your mother, then have a very specific command for when she is allowed to jump up, and an equally specific one for her to get off. ONLY let her on the bed when she has been invited and always make sure she gets off when told.

Our dogs aren't allowed up the hallway where the bedrooms are, but many years ago they used to sleep on the bed and I have never found any difference in their behaviour so don't believe people who tell you it'll do something to her behaviour :)

I was worried it would make her think she ruled the roost so I made sure she never got up without being told to first, I normally just pat the bed and say 'on the bed' and she rarely jumps up otherwise but I'll start training a reliable 'off the bed'.

I don't think it's too hot as she's just sleeping on top of a blanket and the bed's off the ground so has a bit of air flow but yes I doubt the trampoline bed is as comfortable as my $1000 mattress :laugh:

I want her on my bed as much she wants to be on it, she always sleeps beside me with her head on my pillow and she keeps me nice and warm but I know it isn't the best arrangement...

it is the BEST arrangement if you & your dog like it that way ....another thought - with the weather getting cooler .... TRY THIS

I really want to buy her some jammies ^.^ a member on DOL makes them for Danes so I am quite tempted to buy one, hopefully she doesn't outgrow them halfway through winter...

I really want to buy her some jammies ^.^ a member on DOL makes them for Danes so I am quite tempted to buy one, hopefully she doesn't outgrow them halfway through winter...

She will chew them up :laugh:

I do my own washing and don't really care much about the smell but my mum really hates things being dirty(even though its my room not hers!) I brush her more or less everyday she just has SO MUCH HAIR!

That's a good point actually, she can't see my from her bed and when she paces she normally flops down on the floor beside where I sleep and when she was in her crate she could always see me... looks like I'll have to start sleeping on the other side of the bed for a bit.

That sounds like a good idea pers, at the moment she has a huge fleecy blanket on her bed which is normally on my bed but maybe she needs something more substantial, there's an old doona in the garage that will do the job.

It is so hard to stay strong, she's so persistent and sounds so sad... I cracked a little and let her on my bed this morning after her early morning wee and we cuddled while I had a sleep in. I want her on my bed as much she wants to be on it, she always sleeps beside me with her head on my pillow and she keeps me nice and warm but I know it isn't the best arrangement... :(

What if you just put some blankies down where she prefers to sleep... doesn't have to be a big trampoline bed or anything fancy... all she wants is to be near you.

T.

Well last night started off good... then she woke up and paced and whined for a good half hour but I stayed strong and ignored her and she put herself back to bed but then my brother decided to be really helpful and open his door across the hall and start walking around so guess who woke up again...

Thanks T, I think I might end up just squishing the bed next to mine for a bit and slowly each night moving it back to where it fits nicely in the corner.

We were meant to go to obedience at 9 this morning but no way was I getting up on no sleep :laugh:

See look how sad she looks :(

20140330_002246_zps58b4057d.jpg

Oh dear! Do they practise this look? The Horror aka Herbie is giving me a very similar look.

His is because he feels the lounge chair is all his own.

Situation easily solved. Sending him outside with a lovely bone.

:thumbsup:

If only a bone would solve this one!

She could be getting cold, when she's on your bed, it's up higher, no draughts and she's getting body warmth. Try a nice warm dog coat and the doona.

If you want her to sleep on your bed, you culd buy some cheap polar fleece blankets/thick sheets (op shops are great for this kind of stuff) and put them over your doona, and some spray for your pooch to keep her smelling nice. Easy. Works for me. biggrin.gif

If you would like her on your bed and she wants to get on your bed, but the problem is doggy smelling bedclothes and hair, then have a supply of sheets and easy wash blankets that you put on the bed before going to bed and take off in the morning when you make your bed.

Change them every couple of days. You'll have a heap of washing, but you'll both be happy.

(Have a look at my thread called Going to Bed in the Photos section - LOL. I have throws and dog beds all over the bed for my dogs and Gussy Cat.)

DOLer Steve sells organic washes and fresheners for dogs. Her website is www.shalarm.com.au.

I really detest all those artificial room fresheners and scents and things you plug into power points, but I do have one room spray I've used very sparingly over the years from Crabtree & Evelyn called Summer Hill.

Try a bean bag type of bed. Dogs just love bean bags, they are warm soft and oh so cumfy. I have bought these for my dogs http://www.ambientlounge.com.au/bean-bags/gold-class-bean-bags/pet-lounger-bean-bags/pet-lounger-bean-bag.html

These are not cheap...but the top part zips off for easy cleaning and they are very strong and sturdy.

Edited by teela

Oh those beds look so nice! Jobless Uni student budget doesn't quite stretch that far though :(

Our water bill has probably gone up a crazzzyyy amount since getting Didi, there are two big sheets protecting the couch from her dogginess as well as a throw for that couch that get washed twice a week, my bed sheets get washed every week when usually I'd do it every two weeks. There's also washing her bowls every day and filling her indoor and outdoor bowl up twice a day, hosing down her outdoor bed and the deck after she's rubbed her gross bones everywhere otherwise it smells and we get flies/birds, hosing those gross un-pick-up-able poos into the grass on occasion and washing her down after she rolls in mud or gets sandy from the beach... may as well just add another sheet needing to be washed into the mix :laugh:

I think I'll try making the bed a bit more comfy and pursue that for a bit longer before trying things to make my bed a better option as my mum is extremely anti dog on the bed and keeps saying she's going to ruin it so I might just save on the bed for sleep in cuddles :( She is allowed on the couch though (as long as I wash and vacuum it twice a week) so that's a plus.

Try a bean bag type of bed. Dogs just love bean bags, they are warm soft and oh so cumfy. I have bought these for my dogs http://www.ambientlounge.com.au/bean-bags/gold-class-bean-bags/pet-lounger-bean-bags/pet-lounger-bean-bag.html

These are not cheap...but the top part zips off for easy cleaning and they are very strong and sturdy.

I opened that link because for a moment I forgot Grover was dead... I'm addicted to buying the perfect dog bed; he had seven (and he had one like that).

eta

Sorry Terri S, I hope you don't mind me talking about him; I didn't mean to derail your thread :)

Edited by Queen Maeby