Doggy Dementia

ricey

Hi all,

My American pit bull terrier Hobbes is getting a tad old; he will be 14 on his next birthday in September 2014. If he makes his 14th birthday, he will have lasted 2 years longer than most dogs of his breed. Hobbes is possibly one of the last American Pit Bull Terriers in Australia (except all those pit bull terrier pups I see at my dog park most days).

Physically he is as fit as a mallee bull, and he is still the best ratter of any of my dogs. However, I am getting a bit concerned about his mental state. He has taken to standing out side the back door and barking to be let in. This would not be too concerning, but the door is effing open! Hobbes won't come in until I have invited him in. I am fairly sure that he has not been bitten by a vampire and that his reticence to enter my house is not related to an undead nature. He just doesn't seem to realise that the back door is open.

Other than his problem with entering via an open door, he seems much the same as always. He still does not seem to like cats or most other dogs (other than Lulu and Lizzie, who he both adores). He is nearly as deaf as a post now, and I think that his deafness may be exacerbating his canine confusion.

I watched my mum die with dementia and it was not compelling viewing. Fortunately, we can treat our pets better than we treat our parents. So, when do you think I should pull the plug on Hobbes? At the moment, there is no time soon as he has a very good quality of life. But when would you think was the right time? If he had become incontinent and was shitting in his bed? If he was totally confused and was biting his friends? Me, I don't have a clue as Hobbes is currently just a nearly perfect dog, but he concerns me. Hobbes has been my best friend for 12 years now and I'd want him to continue on for ever, but that ain't going to happen.

Hobbes is not what he used to be. I probably have not explained how he is too well; Hobbes has always been a vibrant, full on dog that never backed off or seemed to not know what to do in the circumstances, but now he seems to be unsure.

Sheesh, maybe I am just fixing up a problem for me that just does not exist. Hobbes is my best friend and I love him more than just about anything I can think of. He is my dog. And a boy loves his dog.

Good night; talk to you tomorrow.

Hugs to you BOTH ( regardless that you are boys). :heart:

It's a part of loving a dog to be faced with the twilight time of their life. Mine is 15 next birthday.

TBF, I'm sat here right now at 03:05AM AEST, because my dear old boy did some decorating in the laundry......everywhere. PTL he has a short coat. Took no time to clean him up & the laundry. Have spare beds aplenty. He gets a big promo tonight & can sleep in my room.

I digress, sorry.....

Pain is my yardstick for making that decision.

Let me say with every fibre of my body I hope it is different. He's getting checked by the Vet more frequently.

Pain is not a visitor.

Tonight things are day to day. That tail wags, he eats like no tomorrow.

And you know something? He still makes me smile. I will keep guard over him until time says different.

Take care of yourself too. Remember you do him honour to love him still.

:heart:

Hi all,

My American pit bull terrier Hobbes is getting a tad old; he will be 14 on his next birthday in September 2014. If he makes his 14th birthday, he will have lasted 2 years longer than most dogs of his breed. Hobbes is possibly one of the last American Pit Bull Terriers in Australia (except all those pit bull terrier pups I see at my dog park most days).

Physically he is as fit as a mallee bull, and he is still the best ratter of any of my dogs. However, I am getting a bit concerned about his mental state. He has taken to standing out side the back door and barking to be let in. This would not be too concerning, but the door is effing open! Hobbes won't come in until I have invited him in. I am fairly sure that he has not been bitten by a vampire and that his reticence to enter my house is not related to an undead nature. He just doesn't seem to realise that the back door is open.

Other than his problem with entering via an open door, he seems much the same as always. He still does not seem to like cats or most other dogs (other than Lulu and Lizzie, who he both adores). He is nearly as deaf as a post now, and I think that his deafness may be exacerbating his canine confusion.

I watched my mum die with dementia and it was not compelling viewing. Fortunately, we can treat our pets better than we treat our parents. So, when do you think I should pull the plug on Hobbes? At the moment, there is no time soon as he has a very good quality of life. But when would you think was the right time? If he had become incontinent and was shitting in his bed? If he was totally confused and was biting his friends? Me, I don't have a clue as Hobbes is currently just a nearly perfect dog, but he concerns me. Hobbes has been my best friend for 12 years now and I'd want him to continue on for ever, but that ain't going to happen.

Hobbes is not what he used to be. I probably have not explained how he is too well; Hobbes has always been a vibrant, full on dog that never backed off or seemed to not know what to do in the circumstances, but now he seems to be unsure.

Sheesh, maybe I am just fixing up a problem for me that just does not exist. Hobbes is my best friend and I love him more than just about anything I can think of. He is my dog. And a boy loves his dog.

Good night; talk to you tomorrow.

Ah Ricey, Hobbes has been your beloved constant companion for so many years. He's your boy. You will know when the time has come for him. You know and understand everything about your boy. You'll know better than anyone if his quality of life is causing him distress.

I wonder if dementia is as distressing for a dog as it is for a human. I suspect not. Dogs accept 'what is' with good grace. He'll look to you for guidance when he's unsure of himself as he always has.

One of my older dogs is now deaf and she looks to me for guidance more so now than when she was younger, as Hobbes does to you.

For now, for today, live and love the good life with Hobbes. He expects nothing less of you.

Ricey I had an SBT girl who we pts just shy of 17. She was blind, deaf, incontinent from both ends, had cancer, pancreatitis, dementia and some mobility issues. It might sound like I let her suffer but she was one tough cookie and did not waste a minute of any day being old. She was the centre of everything that happened in this house and considered herself head of our three dogs. She still played with the other dogs every day, still pulled the in line and absolutely refused to be left at home when it was walk time. She was never the type of dog to just be lying around seeing out her golden years. We managed all her issues with diet, medication, nappies, socks (she dragged her toenails) and a dog pram. She would've lived a few more months if I left it up to her but my fear was that she would get stuck somewhere while we were out, either from her dementia or because her legs wouldn't move in the directions she wanted. It would've broken my heart to come home and find her hurt and distressed.

Only you and Hobbes will know when the time is right. Bodies do fail but this can be managed to a degree. It is when they lose their spirit and will to keep living or when they become a great risk to themselves you have to intervene sooner rather than later. Enjoy your time together and take things as they come rather than worry too much about what will happen in the future. 14 is certainly a fantastic age but let's hope he is still capable of hanging around for a while yet!

Hugs to you BOTH ( regardless that you are boys). :heart:It's a part of loving a dog to be faced with the twilight time of their life. Mine is 15 next birthday.TBF, I'm sat here right now at 03:05AM AEST, because my dear old boy did some decorating in the laundry......everywhere. PTL he has a short coat. Took no time to clean him up & the laundry. Have spare beds aplenty. He gets a big promo tonight & can sleep in my room.I digress, sorry.....Pain is my yardstick for making that decision.Let me say with every fibre of my body I hope it is different. He's getting checked by the Vet more frequently.Pain is not a visitor.Tonight things are day to day. That tail wags, he eats like no tomorrow.And you know something? He still makes me smile. I will keep guard over him until time says different.Take care of yourself too. Remember you do him honour to love him still.:heart:

Yes, pain (apart from a bit of arthritis in the front legs) is not a problem for Hobbes. And the bit of discomfort he shows when he first wakes quickly goes after a bit of a prance around the back yard...

Maybe its his eyesight & not his brain that is going.If he can't see properly & light & shadows are confusing him that may be what is the problem.

Good point; his eyes are getting a bit clouded. I'm taking him off to my vet for one of their "senior dog" health checks. Maybe clouded vision and deafness are the problem. I'd also like to make sure that liver and kidney function are OK.

Hi all,My American pit bull terrier Hobbes is getting a tad old; he will be 14 on his next birthday in September 2014. If he makes his 14th birthday, he will have lasted 2 years longer than most dogs of his breed. Hobbes is possibly one of the last American Pit Bull Terriers in Australia (except all those pit bull terrier pups I see at my dog park most days).Physically he is as fit as a mallee bull, and he is still the best ratter of any of my dogs. However, I am getting a bit concerned about his mental state. He has taken to standing out side the back door and barking to be let in. This would not be too concerning, but the door is effing open! Hobbes won't come in until I have invited him in. I am fairly sure that he has not been bitten by a vampire and that his reticence to enter my house is not related to an undead nature. He just doesn't seem to realise that the back door is open.Other than his problem with entering via an open door, he seems much the same as always. He still does not seem to like cats or most other dogs (other than Lulu and Lizzie, who he both adores). He is nearly as deaf as a post now, and I think that his deafness may be exacerbating his canine confusion.I watched my mum die with dementia and it was not compelling viewing. Fortunately, we can treat our pets better than we treat our parents. So, when do you think I should pull the plug on Hobbes? At the moment, there is no time soon as he has a very good quality of life. But when would you think was the right time? If he had become incontinent and was shitting in his bed? If he was totally confused and was biting his friends? Me, I don't have a clue as Hobbes is currently just a nearly perfect dog, but he concerns me. Hobbes has been my best friend for 12 years now and I'd want him to continue on for ever, but that ain't going to happen.Hobbes is not what he used to be. I probably have not explained how he is too well; Hobbes has always been a vibrant, full on dog that never backed off or seemed to not know what to do in the circumstances, but now he seems to be unsure.Sheesh, maybe I am just fixing up a problem for me that just does not exist. Hobbes is my best friend and I love him more than just about anything I can think of. He is my dog. And a boy loves his dog.Good night; talk to you tomorrow.
Ah Ricey, Hobbes has been your beloved constant companion for so many years. He's your boy. You will know when the time has come for him. You know and understand everything about your boy. You'll know better than anyone if his quality of life is causing him distress. I wonder if dementia is as distressing for a dog as it is for a human. I suspect not. Dogs accept 'what is' with good grace. He'll look to you for guidance when he's unsure of himself as he always has.One of my older dogs is now deaf and she looks to me for guidance more so now than when she was younger, as Hobbes does to you.For now, for today, live and love the good life with Hobbes. He expects nothing less of you.

Yeah, no way I am going to give him the green dream any earlier than absolutely necessary, but equally no way am I going to make him suffer. My dog, my best friend; I just wish I had been allowed to pull the pin on my mum (nobody should be made to suffer what she went through in the days before she died).

Ricey I had an SBT girl who we pts just shy of 17. She was blind, deaf, incontinent from both ends, had cancer, pancreatitis, dementia and some mobility issues. It might sound like I let her suffer but she was one tough cookie and did not waste a minute of any day being old. She was the centre of everything that happened in this house and considered herself head of our three dogs. She still played with the other dogs every day, still pulled the in line and absolutely refused to be left at home when it was walk time. She was never the type of dog to just be lying around seeing out her golden years. We managed all her issues with diet, medication, nappies, socks (she dragged her toenails) and a dog pram. She would've lived a few more months if I left it up to her but my fear was that she would get stuck somewhere while we were out, either from her dementia or because her legs wouldn't move in the directions she wanted. It would've broken my heart to come home and find her hurt and distressed.Only you and Hobbes will know when the time is right. Bodies do fail but this can be managed to a degree. It is when they lose their spirit and will to keep living or when they become a great risk to themselves you have to intervene sooner rather than later. Enjoy your time together and take things as they come rather than worry too much about what will happen in the future. 14 is certainly a fantastic age but let's hope he is still capable of hanging around for a while yet!

Yes, like I said Hobbes is as fit as a mallee bull (whatever that means, but it implies a level of robustness). I am a bit heartened; I am off to my vet this week. My vet has been telling me for the last few years that Hobbes is a senior dog and we should run a battery of tests on him. I have declined previously as I thought that Hobbes was way fit and vibrant and I guess I was a touch pissed off that he thought Hobbes was an old dog. But he is an old dog so I guess I should be dealing with that. Denial about health issues is a common problem for males and I owe it to Hobbes to care for him properly. Just because most male Australians ignore their own health issues does not allow me to ignore my dog's health issues. So, whilst I have successfully avoided being physically examined for prostate cancer, I will get Hobbes fully checked out. Its the least I can do.

Peter D (ricey)

Hi Ricey and nice to see you here.

Lily my white Toy Poodle turned 16 today and Big Ted the poodle is now 16.5 so I hear you.

I would suggest that your vet run the "old dog" tests on Hobbes and you may wish to discuss dementia medication if you think that's an issue.

A friend of mine with a dotty old dog swears Hills B/D made a huge difference to her old boy's mental state so you might like to consider that too.

Welcome to the old dog roller coaster - some days are better than others but sounds like there is plenty of life in the old boy yet.

Yes, like I said Hobbes is as fit as a mallee bull (whatever that means, but it implies a level of robustness). I am a bit heartened; I am off to my vet this week. My vet has been telling me for the last few years that Hobbes is a senior dog and we should run a battery of tests on him. I have declined previously as I thought that Hobbes was way fit and vibrant and I guess I was a touch pissed off that he thought Hobbes was an old dog. But he is an old dog so I guess I should be dealing with that. Denial about health issues is a common problem for males and I owe it to Hobbes to care for him properly. Just because most male Australians ignore their own health issues does not allow me to ignore my dog's health issues. So, whilst I have successfully avoided being physically examined for prostate cancer, I will get Hobbes fully checked out. Its the least I can do.

Peter D (ricey)

We changed Vets last year after our 2nd boy was ill. We were too late for him. But as soon as we spoke of the other old boy,the Vet asked to meet him to do a Senior Panel for him. We were lucky that his results were OK. And are encouraged that he is still not in pain. You truly are on the right path just talking about the issue.

HUGS

:love:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the results are in; Hobbes is a little deaf, his vision is not perfect, and he has a bit of osteo-arthritis in his shoulders (not hips) but his kidney function, liver function etc is spot on normal. Heart sounds are normal, and he is at an ideal weight. No diabetes. He also has lots of very small lipomas but I am assured that these are benign and quite common for his breed.

But he still stands and barks at the open door to be let in, so I guess I am just going to have to learn to live with that.

ricey

• 1 month later...

If it's dementia related, you don't actually have to live with that, there is s drug called Vivitonin that increases the blood flow to the brain and reduces the effects of dementia. It's been known to be very effective. Perhaps you should mention it to your vet.

Hey Peter, isn't it time we saw another pic of the old boy. The last one I recall was many years ago. :)

For me, I think the issue is the speed in which they begin to decline when they hit an age. In a human it may happen over 10 or 15 years. In dogs it is only a few years.

My Boof is now 11 and he his noticeable decline started about 6 months ago. He has also has an ongoing battle with cancer but it is the age related decline I am really noticing now. His eyes are looking hazy, he is slower to get up and he lays in bed much longer than ever. Like Hobbes though, his liver function and blood tests for the general things that wear on old dogs is still ok.

My little girl Olivia, who at only 10, has begun to decline fairly rapidly in the last few months. She is very grey in the face out and I think might end up white faced before she leaves us. She hardly has any hearing left at all and her sight is also deteriorating and just recently, she has slowed down a lot.