How To Show A Dog?

snusnu95

So I have a purebred pup, and am interested in showing him. However, do you have to be a member of the State Canine Body (Dogs Queensland) or ANKC to show in a show? How does the point system work?

I know you must be a financial member of your state's Canine Body. Dog should be on Main Register unless you are entering neuter class.

As for the points, still trying to work them out.

:laugh:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Hi snusnu95, your pup needs to be registered on the main register with the state he was born in - dogs Queensland, You will also have to be a member of DQ, The points are like this 5 points automatic and 1 point per dog show on the day, then if you win Best of Breed you get an extra point from each of the other sex shown. so if you are the only dog of your breed entered and you win challenge you get 6 points and no extra for Best of Breed. If there are say 6 dogs of your breed shown, 3 dogs and 3 bitches, and you win BoB you would get an 11 points being 8 point for challenge and 3 extra point for the other dogs from the opposite sex. If you are lucky enough and win group you then get 25 points if there is more then 20 dogs eligible for points shown in your group. You can not get more that 25 points at a show. Baby puppies are not eligible for points.

hope this isn't confusing

Kerry

I would suggest having a chat to your pups breeder and asking whether they feel your pup is worth showing. I would love to show my current girl but I'm resigned to the fact that she just isn't what you would call show material if you know what I mean! Can I also suggest that if you are concerned about your pups feet not being properly aligned you look in to it a bit further, there are dietary deficiencies that can cause this and your pup may be young enough to correct it if it is the case here. Maybe head on over to the health section and post a pic of his legs there and see what people think.

If your pup isn't up to it and you are still keen to show maybe talk to your pups breeder and see if she would be willing for you to learn by handling one of her show dogs for her.

Apart from that we'd love to see some puppy pics in the intro section :)

I know you must be a financial member of your state's Canine Body. Dog should be on Main Register unless you are entering neuter class

Dogs still have to be on main register if shown in Neuter class

I know you must be a financial member of your state's Canine Body. Dog should be on Main Register unless you are entering neuter class

Dogs still have to be on main register if shown in Neuter class

oops, mybad. Of course. Should have said even if. :confused:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Have a talk to your breeder they will be able to help you to enter a show and make sure the dog is on the correct register and in the correct name.

If showing a neuter that was registered prior to them being neutered you need to have them recorded as being a neuter on the main register.

Yep talk to your breeder because your breeder should also help with the grooming needs for the show ring as your breed is an art to prepare.

If showing was never discussed in the first place then chances are your pup may not be suitable .

Go to some shows & watch .

Points is the easy part but learning how to prepare & maintain a poodle coat each week is far more important .

Hopefully it hasn't had a pet trim yet ??

Rules differ slightly from State to State.

In all states the dog must be on Main register to be shown.

To be exhibited at Open shows in Queensland, the owner does not need to be a DogsQld member but if entered in Championship shows, the owner must be a financial member of DogsQld by the closing date of entries for that show.

From Dogs Qld website:

105. In order to enter, exhibit or handle a dog in or at Championship Shows or Trials, a person, or all persons in a

partnership, must be financial members of the CCC(Q) or another recognised State, Territory or International

Controlling Body or be sponsored by a financial member (rule 336 b).

What Showdog said. Talk to your breeder first. Poodles are not always the easiest for new starters due to their particular grooming requirements. You may need your breeders help in this in the beginning. Hopefully your breeder will be able to tell you if your dog is a suitable prospect for showing or not.

Your pup will need to be on the Main register and you will need to join Dogs Qld. If the pup is neutered, this will need to be noted on the registration in order to enter neuter classes (you will ned to submit a vet certificate). If the pup is neutered you will not be able to enter classes with dogs that haven't been (onlt the 'neuter' class - but you can work towardds the title of Neuter Champion).

You may want to take a look at the Facebook group 'Australian Dog Show Newbies'

He is a miniature poodle and is fed Science Diet kibble, beef mince and chicken; there is some slight turning out of his feet. I will try to get a photo at some point.

His diet won't be making his feet turn out.

Feet are supposed to be straight in poodles so if the turn out even slightly that is a fault. It is common.

I wouldn't breed from a dog whose feet turn out but it won't affect him health wise in any way .

The first thing you need to know about showing any poodle is that as adults they must be shown in lion or continental clip (or their variations). This is specified in the breed standard. Puppy clip is OK on the pups (no surprise there) but if he is in a pet clip, you need to start growing coat now. it would be some months before he has enough coat to compete.

A conformatiion fault won't stop you showing but it might stop you winning so unless you treat this dog as a "learning dog" (not such a bad idea on a breed that is very challenging to turn out well) then you may end up being pretty disappointed with how he goes, despite all the effort you put into showing him.

What the other folk have said is true, he needs to be on Main Register or Neuter Register and you should talk to his breeder. Grooming will be the major challenge unless you can find someone to do it for you and even then you must be able to turn him out on the day.

It used to take me about 5 hours over three days (including show day) to get my boy ready for the ring. That's five hours win or lose for EVERY show weekend. Then there's the bathing out after every show, and the wrapping and coat maintenance between shows. Not for the faint hearted.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It used to take me about 5 hours over three days (including show day) to get my boy ready for the ring. That's five hours win or lose for EVERY show weekend. Then there's the bathing out after every show, and the wrapping and coat maintenance between shows. Not for the faint hearted.

:offtopic:

And people are always telling me how hard it must be to get an Afghan ready for a show! :p

Back on topic:

You might also want to check out the FAQ up the top of this topic. ;)