Best Car Harness

sheena

My young guy is a Houdinni when it comes to car safety harness's :( When he was younger he would either chew through them in a matter of seconds or somehow slip out of them & then chew them up. Not the most ideal thing, I know, but the only way I have of securing him in the car is by attaching a short lead to his collar which is then fastened to the cargo barrier of the car. At least it would stop him flying forward in the event of an accident. There is no room in the car for a crate. The last thing I tried was putting on a Hip Doggie Harness like This Onewhich fits very snug & I fastened him to the car both with the harness & his collar. Within 10 kilometres, he had slipped both off :eek: I really don't know how he does it :confused:

Edited by sheena

The roadie looks pretty good, crosses over on the chest so would be very hard to slip out of

Pretty sure he would be out of that in a flash, but thankyou KK :) He almost needs something that attaches around his waist as well. Maybe I could have something custom made & then hope that he doesn't chew it. :(

There are the action harnesses that go around their waist as well, designed for search and rescue dogs, etc so they can be lifted up cliffs and things like that. Not cheap but might work. They have loops on the back so you could attach a seat belt attachment

Saw this report on dog car harnesses on GMA - apologies for the commercial that precedes it

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/car-harnesses-pets-safe-23270287

The car harness they found the most effective was

http://sleepypod.com/shop/clickit-dog-harness.html

This, of course is all information from the USA but still some of the points may be translatable to Australian products

Saw this report on dog car harnesses on GMA - apologies for the commercial that precedes it

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/car-harnesses-pets-safe-23270287

The car harness they found the most effective was

http://sleepypod.com/shop/clickit-dog-harness.html

This, of course is all information from the USA but still some of the points may be translatable to Australian products

Thanks everyone, & thanks DakotaJ for the links. Unfortunately, the best & safest seat belt in the world is of little use if he can slip out of it. I think I will give the tripawds a go & maybe I might be able to fasten it at a couple of points to make it safer, though it looks pretty strong. I guess a seat belt is only as strong as it's weakest point.

The tripawds is designed for dogs involved in search and rescue and to allow the handler to abseil with the animal and all sorts. Quite frankly I don't think you need to worry about anything on the harness breaking, just get a good attachment to go from there to the seatbelt.

The tripawds is designed for dogs involved in search and rescue and to allow the handler to abseil with the animal and all sorts. Quite frankly I don't think you need to worry about anything on the harness breaking, just get a good attachment to go from there to the seatbelt.

I'll give it a go & hope he doesn't chew through it. It might be an idea if one of us sits in the back with him till he gets used to it...he is so quick. Also I might use it to take him on his walks a bit too. Funny thing is, when he is in the car he just lays down & goes to sleep & the next thing we know he has slipped his harness.

The purina Roadies are extremely tight, so that might work if you want safety too.

I went to buy their XL advertised to for labs and GSDs and it was much too small for my 26kg Aussie. Not a chance it would of fit my old lab. Disappointing really, but if your border can fit into it I think it would be very hard to slip.

Edited by LisaCC

Majestic Collars do a spook harness which is supposed to be great for greys who are spooks which might work. Three straps around, but they are designed for sighthounds so I don't know about fit. I doubt they'd stand up to chewing either.....

ETA I just checked and they will do harnesses made to measure for your dog and seem to ship to Australia.

Edited by Brandiandwe

The purina Roadies are extremely tight, so that might work if you want safety too.

I went to buy their XL advertised to for labs and GSDs and it was much too small for my 26kg Aussie. Not a chance it would of fit my old lab. Disappointing really, but if your border can fit into it I think it would be very hard to slip.

No...he would slip out of that & the Spook harness might not be strong enough in the event of an accident.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: First car trip today in his new harness....Ruffware. Three hours & still wearing it..not even chewed, though I did give it a good spray with bitterspray. :thumbsup: Thanks K9 Pro.... :)

Yay!! :thumbsup:

Double Yay!!!!

Been looking forward to the update, sheena.

Great news>

:thumbsup: