Help Me! Please

logan

Hello everyone i was thinking about getting a big dog but I have learned that its not going to work in a apartment . So I have been thinking if a Miniature Pinscher would be a good dog to get in a apartment (large apartment) with a deck and I would put a potty grass witch is in the link below http://www.porchpotty.com/Articles.asp?ID=274 I would run or take him to a park every day for about 45 minutes and when I come home I would give him attention. My only worries are that I won't be home about 5-6 hours and that I live in a apartment.

On weekends he would get A LOT of exercise. Thanks

Edited by logan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the RR puppies I've met are anything close to dozing dogs. Perhaps you'd be best looking at a mature adult, but even then leaving a big dog in a small yard (or courtyard? Inside would be really tempting fate imo) while you work (I assume) is kind of asking for trouble. Toys and walks only do so much, but a dog needs somewhere to toilet, laze in the sun and sniff about. They need stimulation or they find their own which is usually messy and destructive.

Edited by Steph M

Although I've never owned one it doesn't sound ideal. Sometimes the time and situation just isn't right. I wanted a dog from the time I left home, but I didn't get one for about 10 years. I had to wait until my living arrangements and finances were right.

I think you'd need to be able to let it into a safe backyard when you weren't there. One that was big enough for it to keep itself entertained on its own otherwise it's going to start barking, escaping, destroying, or all 3.

There is a deck for it

Yeah. I don't think that's a great situation for any dog. Mine love their grass and the sun. Do you want to be cleaning up huge dog logs from your deck for 12 or so years? The smell of dog pee soaking into a hot deck and wafting through the house wouldn't bother you? Mine have a specific pee/poo corner and its far up the back corner, they don't like hanging around it any more than I do. Are you the only house on your block? What if the dog barks in boredom? Chews up the deck? Outdoor furniture/doors? They're big strong dogs and could do a lot of damage if they wanted to.

Sorry but it just leaves me cold. It doesn't sound workable as is.

Edited by Steph M

Hello every one I have thought about getting a dog but I don't have much yard I just have a deck although I'd run the dog for about 45 minutes every day I don't want a little terrier or jack Russell or Maltese I want a dog that will run with me and is medium size my only concerns are that I don't have much yard and Of course I have to work and will be at home every once and a while so please please write down some dogs I should consider just want them to be medium to large dog that can run but when at home just dozes off and stuff so please write down some thanks a lot.

whoa! :) and welcome.

if you are an experienced dog owner - this might work :)

if you haven't had a lot of experience - it could be not an ideal situation .

I guess you know puppies need a lot of training/mental stimulation .

They also need several meals a day , and toilet training .

They are also not born knowing how to behave around furniture/ electrical cords and sox! :)

puppies/young dogs can NOT be run at all , because their joints/bones are soft and still growing , so impact can cause much damage :(

Ask questions, by all means - it's good to see you are still researching! :thumbsup:

This may interest you ? here CLICK( possible Vizsla in apartment)

have you looked HERE? there is much discussion about the Vizsla

Plenty of dogs all over the world live in small houses and apartments. I don't think it's a completely unworkable situation but it does need a common sense approach to what breed and what you can offer and also to being realistic about what is going to be required of you to raise a well adjusted dog in that lifestyle.