Help Me! Please

logan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been thinking about Getting a mature dog from the pound.

Its unlikely that you will get a pure breed ridgeback from the pound. They usually put a guess on the breeds depending what they think they look most like.

Little fluffy dogs require daily grooming, clipping etc, don't like being alone much & won't be happy with a 45 minute run.

Maybe a medium size mongrel that you like the look of with a little background information may be more suited. There are lots of dogs that have lots of different faces that need homes & the alternative is much worse for them being left in the pound so go & see if you can find a dog to fall in love with & save a life. Good luck.

I got the impression they are looking for a dog to run with them, I don't think a cat fits that requirement at all :)

I would suggest the older dog route too. Perhaps don't focus on a breed so much, ask around shelters and let them know your situation and requirements, they should be able to find you a match. Be sure to ask about possible behavioural issues (if any) when adopting though.

Greyhound sounds like it'd be a good fit or something small and fluffy and older from the pound.

No! A greyhound would not be a good fit, they like room to move, they don't like to run for 45 minutes.

Edited by Rebanne

Whilst this situation can work it requires the owners to be committed for many years to spend more time with there animal than after hour activities.

A run each day just won't cut especially in extreme heat or torrential rain,You need to do a plan of the what ifs & what your willing to sacrifice .

You need to decide if you want a dog purely to go running with or a dog that will fit the living lifestyle you have plus other needs that tick the full life commitment box.

On what you have posted thus far i think you need to think long & hard about breed selection & reality .

You won't be able to run every day all the time so you will need a plan B whether that will be a walk or something more enriching for the dog after all no backyard will be very boring & in turn the house will become its yard so a well trained og happy to be left inside for many hrs unattended doesn't always work without training & planning

Knowing my aunts ridgie, even now at 8 years old, no back yard would drive her mental and she'd be destroying everything in the house. While an adult would certainly appreciate going on runs, they are also not a breed I would recommend for the inexperienced. All the ones I have met have been either very shy/reserved or very sharp with strangers (I'm not saying they are all like this, but its my experience with the breed and you could easily end up with a dog like this). My aunt's is very protective and has a high prey drive, and quite frankly not a dog I would trust if I didn't know her. They can't run her off-leash if there are other dogs/people. Great with her family, not so much with anyone else.

I agree with what everyone has said, a rethink and more research is in order. :)

How many hours a week would the dog be home alone while you work or go out..?

A Vizsla came to mind too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The heart of a Vizsla could get broken at being left alone.

I know of people in the eastern Suburbs Sydney who left their puppy alone 7 hours a day.

Entire neighbourhood reproted its barking & howling. The damage to their yard was worthy of a battalion of engineers.

:cry:

How many hours a week would the dog be home alone while you work or go out..?

A Vizsla came to mind too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The heart of a Vizsla could get broken at being left alone.

I know of people in the eastern Suburbs Sydney who left their puppy alone 7 hours a day.

Entire neighbourhood reproted its barking & howling. The damage to their yard was worthy of a battalion of engineers.

:cry:

I was thinking as a breed for taking on runs...

Still waiting for a reply to my question about how long the dog would be left alone..?

Perhaps a cat would be more suited to this situation ...

If you are really set on getting a dog you could try finding a retired show dog. The breeder would be able to tell you if your situation would work out and the dog would be old enough for a run and probably well trained.

As someone living in a small house with no yard (there is one but its shared and unfenced - open to the road - so not feasible for dogs to be out there off lead) I can tell you IT IS NOT FUN. I highly recommend against it with anything but a small breed, preferably adult. I'm doing it because it was the best of a bad bunch of options when it came to being able to keep my dogs at the time, which was and is my priority. It's a biiiig commitment to give them a non-crappy life and still maintain my sanity :)

I have several dogs here at he moment but I could run through the individual issues I have with a 4 month old large breed puppy, a 2.5 year old medium-large breed and and a 3 year old small breed

(the other adult small breed is fine in my situation, he's a nearly 5yo toy poodle x malt and he would be the only one I'd suggest as a possible good and easy to live with match for the OP).

I will wait to hear more from the OP and confirm their commitment to taking on board what is being said before I write it all out ;)

Greyhound sounds like it'd be a good fit or something small and fluffy and older from the pound.

No to a greyhound for me and just for the record I'm sick of a greyhound getting thrown into the mix when all other breeds don't fit :(

A greyhound run 45 minutes? My girl would drop dead she does a rush around the house twice and thats it she is puffed. I think greyhounds get recommended because for a large dog they are on the easy side like they can be happy in apartments etc but there is so much to consider when getting a grey, are you ever going to want a dog that can live with cats or small dogs as some even with training will have a go at a cat or small dog, are you ever going to want to go to a dog park and let the dog off lead with others I wouldnt risk this with my girl and she lives very well with small dogs and cats but that doesnt mean she will do fine at a dog park.