Travelling With Dog ,brisbane To Kalgoorlie

Canisbellum

I am driving from Brisbane to Kalgoorlie in a couple of weeks and Jonah will be traveling with me. I am aiming to do 7 to 800km a day and stop over in pet friendly caravan parks and sleep in the cabin of my boat.

Has anybody else done this drive and have any ideas on stop overs etc?

Yep all state Forrests will have been baited with 1080, also be very careful across the Nullabour for similar reasons.

We stayed at Madura and they allow dogs but only in your own accomodation I believe.

We are not too far from Kal and a lot of Kal people head out way for a holiday at the beach :)

You going north or south? I did the Nullarbor ..Melbourne Perth in April May 2010 and return. As has been said .. be careful to keep Jonah on lead because of 1080. Take plenty of your normal water for the dog at least .. or use bottled. All the caravan areas on the way across are dog friendly (on lead .. own accommodation. The motels at Madura, Eucla, and Norseman at least are quite OK with dogs sleeping in car outside the rooms if you feel like spoiling yourself. Roadhouses are well spaced for coffee/comfort breaks. Fuel is super expensive.

My two BCs travelled fine both ways .. and I'd do the trip again. :)

You going north or south? I did the Nullarbor ..Melbourne Perth in April May 2010 and return. As has been said .. be careful to keep Jonah on lead because of 1080. Take plenty of your normal water for the dog at least .. or use bottled. All the caravan areas on the way across are dog friendly (on lead .. own accommodation. The motels at Madura, Eucla, and Norseman at least are quite OK with dogs sleeping in car outside the rooms if you feel like spoiling yourself. Roadhouses are well spaced for coffee/comfort breaks. Fuel is super expensive.

My two BCs travelled fine both ways .. and I'd do the trip again. :)

Going Southish, no 4wd and towing biggish boat.

Boat cabin is fine, I slept in it for a week on a fishing trip before.

Am going to buy a couple of the 15litre bottled waters and I have a 120ltr esky in the boat which will be kept iced up every stop. Have a dog cage on my Ute so he can alternate between that and cab, If he gets restless on drive.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You do realise there isn't much use for a boat in Kalgoorlie? :laugh:

We travelled Victoria to Kalgoorlie, with a JRTx, two kids and no air conditioning!! We had the dog on a lead at all times.

But none of this helpful to you, I suppose. Good luck with your trip.

Regardless of the time of year, it can get quite cold at night on the Nullarbor so make sure that you have some warmies at hand.

I have done the crossing quite a few times with dogs and if you take your time it can be a great experience.

My first few crossings were done before the "new road" was made...... corrugated limestone track for miles and miles and miles...... and miles...... and miles. I nearly lost one cocker down a wombat burrow, but he came out very fast and I didnt stay around to find out what he found at the end of it !! Dusk and dawn were beautiful times as the serenity was magnificent

Just came across lots of 1080 laid around the servos. Fuel was $2.05. Stayed at top tourist park in Port Augusta, Airport CP at Ceduna, Border Village on the Nullabor not so good, fill up at Eucla fuel was a few cents cheaper. Lot of free camping sites on WA side. Call in at the Head of the Bight visitors centre may be whales playing. Dogs stay with vehicle. No fruit vegetables or honey allowed may pay to ring quarantine WA check if any requirement for boat.

Just came across lots of 1080 laid around the servos. Fuel was $2.05. Stayed at top tourist park in Port Augusta, Airport CP at Ceduna, Border Village on the Nullabor not so good, fill up at Eucla fuel was a few cents cheaper. Lot of free camping sites on WA side. Call in at the Head of the Bight visitors centre may be whales playing. Dogs stay with vehicle. No fruit vegetables or honey allowed may pay to ring quarantine WA check if any requirement for boat.

Which servos had the 1080 pirate? Was it well signposted?