People With Dog Trailers

Brandiandwe

I'm sure this doesn't apply to most people, but please, if you're driving with your trailer, especially if you're going somewhere unfamiliar, PLEASE remember that your car is effectively about twice as long as it usually is, ensure that your side mirrors give you enough vision of what's going on around you, remember that your blind spot is bigger than normal, and that all of your lights and indicators on the trailer are working. Check your route, remember that in peak hour, queues for exits off motorways do build up, and be a hyper-vigilant driver who has planned their route.

This morning on the M4 I saw someone who, I think, was heading for the Sydney Royal almost merge into a car travelling beside them. There would have been enough room for the merge (just, assuming that the engine bay of the other car was included in the braking distance), but the dog trailer headed straight at the other car. The other car sounded the horn continuously (and I heard it two lanes of traffic over), but the towing car continued over, and the other car had to brake very sharply and swerve onto the shoulder to avoid the trailer.

As I said, this doesn't apply to everyone, but after images of dogs loose on the M4 in peak hour as well as the rest of the mess that could have resulted, I thought it worth posting.

Edited by Brandiandwe

no need for the lecture which applies to every driver on every road not just those that tow dog trailers. A simple OMG be careful nearly saw an accident would have sufficed.

Take a chill pill. Absolutely nothing wrong with what the OP said.

Always a good idea not to travel NEXT To a trailer ... (a) you are probably in a blind spot and (b) sometimes people just forget about the trailer.

(yes it is the responsibility of the towing driver to make sure they have room but I like to minimise risk where I recognise it)

From one who has jackknifed my box trailer because I forgot I had the damn thing on the 4WD (thankfully on my own property where no-one saw ... had to explain the ding in the truck though)

Always a good idea not to travel NEXT To a trailer ... (a) you are probably in a blind spot and (b) sometimes people just forget about the trailer.

(yes it is the responsibility of the towing driver to make sure they have room but I like to minimise risk where I recognise it)

From one who has jackknifed my box trailer because I forgot I had the damn thing on the 4WD (thankfully on my own property where no-one saw ... had to explain the ding in the truck though)

Tricky in peak hour in Sydney though! It's odd, because I'm more used to horse floats, which are obviously bigger and heavier, so harder to forget and easier to see. But I just thought its one of those things. The Royal is on in the centre of Sydney, and through the week, whereas most dog shows are on the weekends and not right beside where thousands of commuters are trying to get to work, so there's more room for maneuver, more time and less pressure. And the M4, while it feels like my second home sometimes, is a complete b!@%&(* of a road. Just an unfortunate series of events which could have ended badly which made me think. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

And, yeah, I've jack-knifed abox trailor. I've found that no-one needs to mention that smashed brake light. Ahem.

Guest Wildthing

I was actually very impressed with a young male towing a double horse float this afternoon behind a large 4WD ute. We were both travelling from Canberra to Queanbeyan and I suspect he may have been going down towards the coast. At every corner and round about he went very slowly, allowing for the float to stay upright and the horses not to suddenly move to one side. Sensible driving and so good to see.

Box trailers are not the easiest things to tow, particularly if they have a short tow part between the trailer and car. Mine has a canopy and I always take extra care when it is on behind me.