Spider Bites And Medication

Tuesday night Vinnie got bitten by a mouse spider. He was trying to eat it and it bit him, fair enough. He didn't react at the time so we weren't sure if it had bitten him but collected the spider anyway.

Wednesday morning he's got a swollen lip and face so off to the vet for a few injections of anti histamines and steroids.

All the while he's showing NO signs of being in pain, no rapid heart beat or breathing, eating like a champion and bounding around as usual. My poor partner was so worried he vomited a few times.

Other than keeping up with the tablets the vet gave and keeping an eye on the site is there anything we should do?

He's also got a bit of incontinence due to the steroids so weed the bed a handful of times despite being taken out every 2 hours.

They aren't too common in my area and the spot where they live is my front yard where Vinnie rarely goes. Something tells me a disturbed a burrow when getting kindling for the fire the other day and upset someone.

Does anyone know if pet insurance covers spider bites and bee stings under the accident policy as they cover ticks and snakes. Most spiders and bees don't bother dogs much out of the sore/swelling/itchy space. But it's going to be expensive as he has a habit of snapping at bees and crawly things.

It's handy to have Polaramine at home for insect bites. Given straight away, it can stop most of the swelling.

The only people who can tell you if insect bites are covered under your policy are your insurers. Give them a call.

Yeah I've called a few and they've just said generally but they'd have to wait for a claim. Blah.

Yeah we have phenergan/polaramine at home all the time from when he was first diagnosed with allergies. I gave him one the night we found the spider just in case. Obviously it wore off the next morning and the vet said he would have been alright with just the phenergan but the injections eased the swelling quicker because it was his mouth it was important.

Calendula Tea has antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-inflammatory properties. It also has astringent action. Topically it has been used to reduce skin irritation and decrease swelling for insects stings and spider bites.

Aloe Vera can also help sooth and speed up healing. I'd go with the Calendula Tea as a wash and, if you wish to use both, the Aloe Vera as an after gel. I use Aloe Vera straight from the plant - cut off a leaf and slice it as I need it.