Rogue Foot

apocalypsepwnie

Whenever Vinnie tries to lick or nibble his tummy, side or boy bits his left foot does something really odd.

Infact, whenever his head goes near his left foot it does it.

It tries to scratch his ear. Every time. He looks annoyed at it and bites it. It fights him and continues trying to get back there. He barks at it also. He'll pull his head away and wriggle around to get away from it.

Is this something anyone else has seen?

Sounds like the beginning of OCD. A vet and/or behaviourist may be able to help manage it. I have seen dogs who will attack their own feet and cause themselves serious injury when this behaviour escalates. I'm sure someone better qualified than me will be able to point you in the right direction.

He's probably done the typical this feels good scratch, he's been wiggling his leg and kicked himself in the head.

Don't laugh, I've seen it ... one of my own dogs did it. He could think now it's going to hurt. Check his ears that there is nothing sore there, give them a good prod, if he squeals get them checked out. I think a jump straight to OCD is a bit of a stretch at this point. If you see him start mucking around like that just tell him to cut it out.

My 5 month old whippet does the same thing, but only occasionally and he doesn't really seem to notice/be bothered by it all.

Just back paws that would love to scratch behind his ear so much that they have a mind of their own apparently.

I figured it must just be a reflex of sorts, like when you scratch a certain spot on a dog and it gets the back leg twitching.