A Silly Question?

Badbee

Lewis only speaks to Whippets and Greyhounds. Rommi generally only speaks to ours, doesn't want to interact with any outside dogs. Wilson tends to stand back from breeds he is not familiar with - he loves Whippets. I say they are breedist :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Boxer loves everyone. But he is especially interested in other Boxers and other squishy-faced breeds like Frenchies, Pugs etc..

I do have to watch him at the dog beach though as he has a bit of a thing for huskies. :heart: He would happily trot home with a husky and their family if I didn't call him back.

Yep greyhounds know greyhounds. I never believed it when the foster co-ordinator from my first greyhound adoption group told me but if mine see another grey they go bonkers.

They sure do! I love the way Grey's mooch with their own and how goofy they are. When walking in groups they saunter along affectionately bumping into each other randomly :laugh: cracks me up every time!

Here's an example of whippets at the beach. Alot of these whippets didn't know each other but they banded together and did the Meerkat thing of mobbing the golden. They didn't hurt him, just shouted at him because he was different, he chose to leave his owner to try to play with them, poor boy.

No dogs were hurt here.

6016326951_200f57600c_z.jpgIMG_3757dppt

There were around 25 Westies at the Westie picnic and they were grouped together and some being walked around on leads as well, a woman walked past with a Labrador and the Westies all started barking and telling the Lab off for walking in their park.

They didn't bark at any of the new Westie arrivals they just barked at any non-Westie :laugh:

My kelpie definitely loves other kelpies. Poor Josie doesn't often get to meet others of her own kind but she mainly gravitates towards children :)

On another note try and say Czech shepherd 10 times fast LOL

:laugh:

Sid doesn't love other Frenchies as much as he loves seeing Pugs. He drags me to them and I think it's because he thinks they're all Lola. He does the same with black mini schnauzers (my parents have one and he loves him).

There were around 25 Westies at the Westie picnic and they were grouped together and some being walked around on leads as well, a woman walked past with a Labrador and the Westies all started barking and telling the Lab off for walking in their park.

They didn't bark at any of the new Westie arrivals they just barked at any non-Westie :laugh:

Exactly what'd happen at the Tibbie picnic. Tibs that'd never met before automatically 'grouped' like a family & accepted new arrivals. But, when, someone walked past with a kelpie that was minding his own business, he got ticked off.

Exactly what'd happen at the Tibbie picnic. Tibs that'd never met before automatically 'grouped' like a family & accepted new arrivals. But, when, someone walked past with a kelpie that was minding his own business, he got ticked off.

that is so funny. Wish I could have witnessed both.

and exactly what the whippets do at their get togethers.

Guest hankodie

Sid doesn't love other Frenchies as much as he loves seeing Pugs. He drags me to them and I think it's because he thinks they're all Lola. He does the same with black mini schnauzers (my parents have one and he loves him).

Hank does this, except with frenchies! It's like he thinks they're all Odie clones :laugh:

Only study I could find was published in Animal Cognition. French researchers concluded that dogs can recognize their own species... even tho' there's a huge range of different appearances among dogs.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130214103703.htm

That didn't address if they could recognize their own breed, within the species. But it's tempting to wonder if the visual discrimination (or whatever) skills needed to recognize their own species.... might also let them pick out their own breed.

Edited by mita

I must say i was impressed at Miah's 1st birthday party last year. All her canine guests were Cavaliers except one small x breed terrier. They all included her into their circle that day, which was lovely to see. I think She might have gone home thinking she was a Cavalier tho laugh.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Hank does this, except with frenchies! It's like he thinks they're all Odie clones :laugh:

I guess the flat faces are really recognisable too :) So cute.

Only sort of on topic but two nearly identical looking Rottys come to the dog park I frequent with Maya. One is her second-best friend and the other she never really played with and spend her time ignoring after maybe an initial sniff. She can tell the difference between these two rottys walking down the road from AGES away. She also recognized her friend instantly after an absence of a few months, when he was having skin problems. But I also think like people they can have memory lapses... the last time Maya saw the rotty not-friend from a distance, she thought he was her friend and got excited until he came closer and she realized it wasn't who she thought... you could practically see her deflate! I thought it was very interesting given her prior record of recognition.