That Difficult Time Of Life

Kirislin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thankyou. And just to make everything a whole lot harder, this afternoon I was laying on the bed playing with Neko and Penny got all silly and came at me all worn down teeth and her now breathy bark, the way she used to when I'd pretend I was a zombie. She hasn't done it for a very long time. Maybe she's saying not just yet Mum.

right now she's having an omelette mixed up with her chicken mince and she likes it.

Look at it this way, Penny is saying OK I know you really love me & really dig me. I'll manage a wee bit longer for you....

Sweet Penny & Kirislin

:love:

Edited by VizslaMomma

I'm sorry you are at this point, having to make the decision for my old girl only two months ago I know how hard it is, but no matter when it happens you will always question if it was the right time.

I think better a little too soon than too late. There were quite a few dogs that the owners couldn't let go of when I worked in the vet it was a very hard thing to see.

You are so lucky to be able to take such beautiful photo's to cherish. I find it very hard to look back at mine as it makes everything all too fresh, they are all put away out of sight.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

She gave me a fright a couple of hours ago, I turned around and she was on the chair and I couldn't see her breathing. I touched her paw and it was cool, I thought she'd died. Then she opened her eyes.

I'm not expecting any miracles today but we're going to the vet this afternoon just to see if there's anything that might help her for a while. At least I'll know I've looked at all avenues. I feel she wont be around for much longer though.

She still wanted to go for a walk at the park and happily tottered along sniffing where all the dogs had been, catching up with the goings on.

There have been two occasions in the last couple of months when one of my oldies was so deeply asleep I could have sworn they passed. When I am missing a dog at the back gate ( or peeking through the dog door) when I arrive home, I wonder if this is the day..

Edited by Haredown Whippets

There have been two occasions in the last couple of months when one of my oldies was so deeply asleep I could have sworn they passed. When I am missing a dog at the back gate ( or peeking through the dog door) when I arrive home, I wonder if this is the day..

Yep, I went through this with Kibah and now Penny. Sometimes they're sound asleep and just dont hear the happy ruckus the others make.

The vet visit brought no joy. I mentioned the 2 drugs I've heard about on forums, Vivitonin and Cholodin. He doesn't know the 2nd one but wasn't keen on trying Vivitonin on her because he thinks she's probably got heart disease. He could hear a murmur and I've noticed her heart is beating fast all the time lately.

He suggested some commercial dietary products but I'm not keen so I'll just try to increase her carbs and also make her food more of a slurry so she can lap it up.

He said she's a carbon copy of his own old dog right now and I asked what he's doing for her, he said Meloxicam and understanding, which is what Penny's getting too. So that's it. :( He said he's available anytime day or night which was kind of him to remind me.

Meloxicam and understanding... I like your vet... *grin*

Zeddy's winters are just that now too... but she's been pretty good through summer just gone. Not looking forward to winter proper - I think it's going to be a colder one than last year.

Zeddy's magic temperature is 8 degrees, if it gets below that her arthritis really makes life difficult... but Meloxicam seems to help immensely for that so far... when it stops being effective, that will be her time I think.

I'm "lucky" with Zeddy so far, as her eyesight, hearing, and mental faculties are all still intact... she just has arthritis so far.

T.

I gave her cooked rice with some mashed veggies from my dinner and a tin of sardines tonight. She liked it and all the other dogs wanted what she was eating. I just hope she doesn't get the runs toninght from it. :eek:

I was reading this post before but wasn't able to reply.

I really feel for you Kirislin, It's so hard to know when is it the right time, if only they could tell us when they have had enough.

My parents inlaw were recently in a position where they unfortunately left it too late. They had a cocker spaniel Nella who had been an old dog for a long time but the tail was still wagging and she still enjoyed their company so they made her life as comfortable as they could with regular trips to the vet which ended up being for regular cortisone injections to keep her going.

The decision was made for them when they came home to Nella howling having lost the use of her back legs and evidence to suggest she had spent most of the day in the corner of the lounge room.

They now wish they could have given her her wings earlier so it wasn't rushed and that Nella didn't have to experience what she did.

But then this is one story out of many and you never know it's too late until it is.