Dead Mice In Yard

moosepup

Twice now I've found dead mice in the backyard. A few weeks ago Nacho had one in his mouth (intact and appeared "fresh") and the other one I just found decomposing next to the shed (dog accessible area). I don't think Nacho is catching them (could be wrong) so presumably they're eating RatSak at someone else's house and coming into our yard to die.

If they were baited, would it harm a dog just to have it in his mouth or would it need to actually be ingested? I helicopter parent enough :laugh: so don't want to be rushing off to the vet every time Nacho puts something gross in his mouth (regularly).

From what I've been able to read up on, Moosepup, yes ..... even playing with a dead rat or mouse which has died from rate poisoning, can result in poisoning to the dog. I would imagine the chances would be slimmer, but that's only my guess. I'd be at least ringing an Emergency Vet to query (although typically, emergency Vets don't give any suggestions or information without taking the dog in). Your dogs are only little, which would raise a greater concern, I would think.

This is all me hazarding a guess, but it would be something I'd be inclined not to ignore, even knowing that it may prove unnecessary - which, I hope, is the case.

ETA: Has to happen on not only a Sunday, but EASTER Sunday no less :roll eyes:

Edited by Erny

Well the one that was in his mouth was quite a few weeks back. The one I found today looked untouched and as if it had been laying there awhile. I think in this case I will just keep an eye on him but if I see him with one again I'll definitely vet check. Thanks Erny.

Mostly he is supervised outside, at least periodically, because he gets up to mischief. Zoe is too old to care about dead mice and Moose is an angel (mostly!).

Guest donatella

Everyone has that 1 dog :laugh:

Hopefully the dead mice start to dry up! That's the last thing you need on a leeeeetle body.

Our dog ate a rat bait and when we spoke to the vet and hospital(as there was concern about a child too, long story!) from recollection it was about one wax block per 12kg before they were considered in serious trouble. Even though your dogs would only be a few kilos they'd have to consume a fair few mice to get the equivalent amount per kilo in their belly for it to be concerning.

We live on a property and had a serious serious mouse and rat plague issue. We had always, always avoided baiting, bit the issue was becoming unbearable (not to mention my BC and two dachies having a glorious time taking upto ten pests in a day). After consulting the vet we finally decided to bait. There was no other option - advice received was that the trace amounts that killed rats and mice would not affevt the dogs, even given the amount they were consuming. Dogs are all fine.

I have neighbours either side that both had sick dogs from eating a poisoned rat. One was only in overnight, the other needed vet care for days.

I use a bait made by Bayer called Racumin. It kills by a build up effect so the risk of secondary poisoning is virtually nil. There is no way I'd use the more hardcore baits, Tom Cat etc. My dogs will often find already dead rats/mice etc and eat them. The farm cats also like to kill and eat dead rodents.

Edited by Clyde

My pest guy promised me that the dogs would need to eat about 20 rats to get sick from his bait. Obviously my dogs are lots bigger than yours.

I am super paranoid too after losing Brock to unexplained poisoning.

Some time ago I rang Bayer about the blue wax blocks.

The rep I spoke to told me that all the tests that were carried out on this product were done in the Black Forest in Germany. The Black Forest is a precious part of the world and with all the baiting that was done not one other species that was found dead at the time was dead from secondary poisoning. I was also told that the poison works by weight it would be almost impossible for a dog to die from ingesting rats and mice. Not so if the dog ingested the block itself or several there of.

Sorry people I know no more than that.

Mouse plague here at present & I have pedigree cats in the outside runs as well as my dogs.

Go onto the Ratsack site & have a read.

Secondary poisoning from the double strength is low risk because of the way it works.

I have had to bait at the front of the house, they are in my car bigtime :eek:

Those blocks can be quite toxic depending how much they eat.

Big dog, small mouse, very low risk. Held in mouth mouse intact won't poison the dog.

Edited by Christina

The level of danger to your dog may be different for different baits. Probably a good idea to get familiar with the most common ones and learn to spot their symptoms. I think it's pretty rare for dogs to suffer from relay poisoning (the technical name for getting poisoned by eating a poisoned animal), but better to be informed and know what symptoms to look for. Worth asking the neighbors if they are poisoning, and if so, with what.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/mouse-and-rat-poison/

"There are four common active ingredients in mouse and rat poisons: long-acting anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, bromethalin, and phosphide rodenticides. Each has a totally different mechanism of action of poisoning, and not all are treated with Vitamin K1! It’s important to make sure you and your veterinarian have identified the appropriate active ingredient of the mouse and rat poison to make sure treatment is appropriate."

Some time ago I rang Bayer about the blue wax blocks.

Yes, this is the Racumin. It's a little pricier than the other stuff but gives me peace of mind. I use the baits in bait stations too.

Thanks all! I can't be sure what sort of poison (if any) killed the mice as we don't use any ourselves. Thinking about it, they were probably rats as they were pretty big! I think I'll start doing a daily patrol outside before releasing the hounds just to be sure. It's kinda weird as we're in the middle of suburbia so it seems a huge coincidence to happen twice in the one yard.

Everyone has that 1 dog :laugh:

So true :laugh:

Nacho is like 10 of those dogs. :laugh:

I had a medium sized mutt get very ill after ingesting a couple of Ratsak flakes... 24 hours of vomiting is not much fun for the dog or the person that has to clean it up.

Never had a dog get ill from eating a poisoned rat/mouse though... but my dogs have all been much larger than your tinies Moosepup.

One thing to remember is that the reason the poison is so effective on rats/mice is that they can't vomit - therefore they can't get the stuff out of their system like a dog can.

T.

Our dog ate a rat bait and when we spoke to the vet and hospital(as there was concern about a child too, long story!) from recollection it was about one wax block per 12kg before they were considered in serious trouble. Even though your dogs would only be a few kilos they'd have to consume a fair few mice to get the equivalent amount per kilo in their belly for it to be concerning.

This is what I have been told too. Once I found a dead rat that my girl had bitten into & there was green ratsac oozing from its body. So naturally I was more than a little concerned, but I was told they had to eat a lot of it to be affected & that it is naturally repellent to pets, hence the reason why she hadn't eaten the rat.