Do Your Dogs Like Eye Contact?

*kirty*

I've noticed that some dogs seek out eye contact with people, while others avoid it. And some breeds seem more likely to look for it. My herding mix Maisie definitely watches my eyes, while my sighthounds like looking lovingly into my eyes. :)

Do your dogs like it/hate it/other?

Mine all seem to like it and seek it out, with me at least, I don't know if they do it with other people actually. I do find if we just look at each other for a while without doing anything else they start to look around as though they're thinking "what is she waiting for me to do, am I missing something?" :)

They like it from me and people in their extended family. If I look over at them of an evening they are often looking at me, and if I hold their gaze they kind of smile a bit. I don't think they would like it from strangers but unless it was accompanied by other signals I doubt it would bother them much even then.

Edited by Diva

Mine all seem to like it and seek it out, with me at least, I don't know if they do it with other people actually. I do find if we just look at each other for a while without doing anything else they start to look around as though they're thinking "what is she waiting for me to do, am I missing something?" :)

Mine are the same :)

I think this is because i shape a lot of tricks and just look at them while i wait for them to offer things, so they just start thinking they should do something :laugh:

All our tibbies have been great for eye contact.... in fact, a tibbie chin on the floor with eyes fixed on your face, sends heaps of messages. Interestingly, when I first saw the breed at Brisbane 'Ekka, what first struck me was how those little dogs looked me straight & calmly in the eye. That was the first thing that attracted me.

Edited by mita

Willow has always been one for looking in your eyes, she will just stare at you when she wants something. Quietly. Patiently. With her best beautiful girl face. :flower:

Dory does to a lesser degree, she will when she wants something too. But at other times she's not so comfortable with it. During training you get good eye contact, but that was taught.

One of the cats is a total Master. :pray:

Stussy can't cope with much eye contact. She goes into submissive mode if I try to look at her too much. Tempeh though likes to have conversations with her peeps and will maintain eye contact for ages while voicing her opinions. In fact she does things so you will look at her and she will look back to make sure she has your full attention. She openly watches us a lot too, to see what we are planning or doing while Stussy will steal sneaky glances to keep up to speed.

Mine seek it out but that may be because they are highly reinforced from a young age to have eye contact.

My Dobe would give you hard and unwavering eye contacted - what I wanted and trained for. Only problem is when you have someone who doesn't know the dog that well is getting eyeballed by a black dog with very dark eyes. If she decided she liked someone, she would sit dead still and stare at them waiting for permission to have cuddles.

The older dogs were experts at willing me to obey them with their eyes.

Darned if the new Vizsla is not trying the same.

:rofl:

ETA: part of the pose with the Vizslak is to raise a paw & look especially pathetic.

Classic manipulators

Edited by VizslaMomma

Mine seek it out. Generally I love it, but I'm less keen when the toilet door is nudged open and I get the uneasy sensation of not longer being alone .....

:rofl: I gave up on toilet privacy long ago, sigh.

I have a pug. Toilet privacy? Lol.

She loves eye contact, with everyone she meets.