Neighbours Large Dog Can Get Into My Yard If It Wants

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

This morning I heard my 2 barking and carrying on around the back fence (joining unit). The new neighbours moved in last week there was a Pom there when we moved in.

Anyhoo my dogs were barking at this, the neighbors dog had climbed up the brick wall and was peering into the fence. He might be friendly, he/she wasn't barking or growling but he just needs to walk past the bush and he's in my yard and it's easy to climb down the same away he gets up.

Anyway is it possible to be aggressive without showing symptoms? I'm hoping he was just an inquisitive dog but I'm wondering what signs I should be looking for?

My dogs are locked inside when I'm not home but I'm a bit nervous about letting them out there unsupervised. I'll talk to the owner but not much I can do until the dog actually gets into the yard I guess!!

uta4ady8.jpg

Edited by donatella

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I never even thought about it! It's enough to keep my 2 in but didn't think about anything else :o

I'm going to have to think of what I can put on an angle

Maybe you can just buy some pre fab trellis, the criss cross ones that can be bent on an angle so it can go up the slope. You'd need to sink some supports so it's sturdy though. good luck, I wouldn't risk that dog coming into my yard.

Perhaps the new people will help you if you ask them nicely, since it's their dog who's doing the exploring.

New neighbours moved in next to my place a few months ago, and their two large dogs have been in my yard several times.. Twice during the middle of the night, running around and barking =\ Thankfully my dog doesn't go outside unsupervised. They pushed and scratched at a horizontal plank on the bottom of the fence until it gave way and they were able to squeeze through.

I think talk to your neighbors, it's their responsibility to keep their dog in their yard even if the fence is a bit weird.

My border collies would be in your yard within seconds!

Speak to the new neighbors straight away and don't let your dogs out unsupervised.

Yeah I agree with this. Just have a chat to them about it. I'm sure you can find a way to keep him/her out :)

Best to talk to the new neighbours straight away in a non confrontational way about putting up some sort of barrier "just to be safe" as you can't watch 24/7. The difficulty is if you are renting to put something up that meets with the landlord's approval. If all the dividing fences are like that it seems the dog could stray into other people's courtyards as well?

Guest donatella

I don't think he can get out the other side as it's full panel fencing mind you I haven't seen if the brick wall goes the end so he might escape, the owner will want to know about that I'm sure!

I don't think he can get out the other side as it's full panel fencing mind you I haven't seen if the brick wall goes the end so he might escape, the owner will want to know about that I'm sure!

Never underestimate what a wandering dog may do to can access to new territory.

Do as much as you possibly can to protect yourself & your dogs.

Guest donatella

Ok I've just sent the real estate an email with the photo she is the same lady who is my property manager so hopefully knows a bit more about them.

Guest donatella

Never underestimate what a wandering dog may do to can access to new territory.

Do as much as you possibly can to protect yourself & your dogs.

I don't walk my dogs on the streets because I'm petrified of off leash attacks so if it happened in my own back yard that would be devastating.

Don't wait for RE Lady. Put up some wire netting or stretch trellis. The latter would be more difficult to install, though.

Dog may be the friendliest dog in the world, but you have tiny littlies. Many large dogs know instinctively to moderate their behaviour around little dogs and puppies, some don't.

Why go through your property manager (real estate). Go to talk to your neighbours, and get to know them. You never know when you will need good neighbours. Going through your property manager may be starting off on the wrong foot.

"Everybody needs good neighbours..."

Guest donatella

DD I have no idea how to get up there myself!! It's high the panel fencing is regular fence height then the birch wall goes right up another few meters!

DD I have no idea how to get up there myself!! It's high the panel fencing is regular fence height then the birch wall goes right up another few meters!

Ah, I see. Different story - you will need the RE lady to help get in a fencer or odd job man. Hope you get action quickly.

In the meantime, as others have suggested, talk to the neighbours. Could they do anything temporary from their side?

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling