Cars To Fit The Dogs?

Sail_Away

This may not be the best forum for this post as it is car related but I'm curious to hear the opinions of other dog owners...

I am thinking of upgrading from my Honda Jazz to either a Toyota Corolla, Toyota Rav4 or Mazda 3 (hatch) or Mazda CX 5... I love my Jazz for its spacious interior but I no longer want a manual transmission and the 1.3L engine is not very powerful on the hills around my area. I have no kids yet and x1 Hungarian Vizsla looking to add another to the household next year... at the moment I put her on the back seats with a BSB but when I want to have others (humans) in the car it's an issue for space so it is probably better she go in the cargo area... SUV's have the best cargo space of course and I love the visibility sitting up high in an SUV but maybe my current situation (no kids) doesn't warrant such a car...

So I was just wondering what cars other dog lovers have and if you have any of the above how do the small hatches fair with you pooches?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have an Audi Q5. We used to have a Forrester, but the new one has done away with boot space. In fact, many of the SUVs seemed to have gone for more leg room for passengers and less boot space. The Audi isn't ideal (we have the back seats down when the three greys are in it), but it does work. The other option we looked at was a volvo.

You might be better seeing if you can find a station wagon. Again, those are becoming more difficult to find as well.

I used to have a Rav4 and carted my dog around in the back all the time thumbsup1.gif was flipping awesome little car. Even drove across Australia with it so it was very reliable. Only don't have it any more because I rolled it going too fast on a just-graded gravel road embarrass.gif oops (definitely learned my lesson there!).

It was not only mechanically sound (in fact after rolling it, the engine was still running...) but also fairly simply furnished inside so it's pretty tough which is good for dogs and I found it was also really good for my horse gear such as saddles and other stuff. Great little car, I really miss it .

Thanks everyone! 'Pie' I apologise I didn't realise there was another thread on this, I actually can't find it... there are so many choices of cars out there these days and my biggest problem right now is how big do I go... the Rav 4's cargo space is very impressive - about 600L I think, so two gundogs in the back without compromising on passenger space is a very big plus. I will be doing a fair bit of travel in it next year when I take on more dog sports and activities with my girl, so her comfort is important.

I bought a Hyundai i30 wagon and it is only 25cm longer than my old car but the way it is designed it is like the Tardis inside! We have three dogs (1 large and 2 medium) and can manage three humans, three dogs and all our stuff quite comfortably because of the split back seats. Best car I ever owned, economical to run, well priced to buy. I've been totally happy with it. Oh and I upgraded from a fastback (elongated hatchback) so feel I am sitting nicely up off the ground even though I am not in a four wheel drive.

My suggestion is to shortlist the cars you like and go for a test drive in each of them. That's how I discovered the i30 wagon was the one for me. Wagons today are not like wagons of ten years ago.

We went from a SUV to station wagon. I have a VW passat wagon diesel and very happy with it. It is not quite as wide as the SUV but the boot is very deep. It fits our 2 dogs comfortably and the rest of us ( 2 adults and 2 kids). We have tibbies so small dogs but I could fit at least another tibbie in the boot. The diesel is very fuel efficient and has good power too ( has turbo engine).

We have an Outlander and it has awesome boot space and a drop down back tailgate which is great for the dogs getting in and out

So would you fit a 90cm crate in the back of the Outlander without putting the back seats down Kelpiecuddles?

I have been a bit skeptical of Hyundai's but they have definitely come a long way - a few friends of mine have the i30 and love it - I just asked this question on Facebook and some people responded with the i30 wagon - which I didn't realise it came in. Also mentioned was the Subaru Forrester...

A lot of doggie people have Xtrails :) Bit suspicious that the new model is going to have less boot space though.

Yes, the new model does not look good! A friend of mine would have bought one to replace her current model but will be looking for something else now.

:(:(

No way I am looking at upgrading in the near future but I feel I am edging closer and closer towards a caddy van of some sort. They just need a lift kit. :laugh:

We have a Ford Territory & even though there is plenty of room in the boot for the dogs, I prefer to put the back seats down (they lay completely flat) & put the dogs there fastened to the cargo barrier. We looked at most of them before we bought & were impressed with the Territory Ghia AWD. Lovely car to drive & feels nice & safe. :) We used to put a 90cm crate in the boot when Cricket was just a pup.

We've had our Mitsubishi outlander for just under a month now, and I'm stoked with it! Really roomy, and very economical for a car that size. Nice to drive, and heaps of room in the cargo area! So, so happy to have the dog off the back seat, and I'm loving the high driving position.

This may not be the best forum for this post as it is car related but I'm curious to hear the opinions of other dog owners...

I am thinking of upgrading from my Honda Jazz to either a Toyota Corolla, Toyota Rav4 or Mazda 3 (hatch) or Mazda CX 5... I love my Jazz for its spacious interior but I no longer want a manual transmission and the 1.3L engine is not very powerful on the hills around my area. I have no kids yet and x1 Hungarian Vizsla looking to add another to the household next year... at the moment I put her on the back seats with a BSB but when I want to have others (humans) in the car it's an issue for space so it is probably better she go in the cargo area... SUV's have the best cargo space of course and I love the visibility sitting up high in an SUV but maybe my current situation (no kids) doesn't warrant such a car...

So I was just wondering what cars other dog lovers have and if you have any of the above how do the small hatches fair with you pooches?

The Vizslak are currently loving the Rav4 of my SIL. Older model with the less powerful engine. But suitable for them.

I am considering one as the 2nd set of wheels.

I've posted these before, but it shows how many dogs you can fit in a Rav4 boot :laugh: This was only for short trips, for longer ones the two little ones were in harnesses on the back seats. The one with the rear seats down was taken when I was gardening out the front and all the dogs piled into the car as it got warm with the sun on it (in Scotland) :laugh:

It was a great car, handled well and coped with all the windy country roads very well. We have a Hyundai ix35 now over here, and while not quite as refined as the RAV, it's been a pretty reliable car.

P10-08-09_1729.jpg

P16-09-09_1533.jpg