Sudden Severe Drooping Eyes

So about 2 weeks ago, we were at the park and doof suddenly yelped, and his right eye went all droopy - the top eyelid covered his eye almost completely and his 3rd eyelid came right across. We couldn't see any reason why it happened. It improved after a few hours and a shot of dex, was back to normal by the next morning.

This morning it's happened again, but this time with both eyes. I'm just about to leave for the vet but just wondering if anyone has any ideas why it's happening? He's a 13 year old kelpie x GSD who has been in good health his whole life. He seems a bit depressed today, he's just going back to sleep. I'm worried it could be a stroke?? Any advice or ideas would be great!!!

Edited by PuddleDuck

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. He's started trembling a bit too. I'm not sure if I should leave him at the vet for monitoring or keep him with me

I'm sure the vet will guide you here. Deep breaths, try to be calm for your boy. Easier said than done, I know.

Thanks guys, no news so far which is good. My regular vet wasn't going to be in until 12 so we decided to leave him there to be monitored and wait for my vet unless he deteriorates at all.

Still freaking out a bit :cry:

Well the vet just called, he thinks its glaucoma, I'm going to get him at 4.30. He said the pressure in one of his eyes indicated glaucoma, and he'll need drops 3 times a day. So, at least its not life threatening, I was so worried it was a stroke.

Some photos of him this morning - he usually has absolutely no droop at all in his eyes, his eyelids are very tight normally