Petplan Premium Increase

aliwake

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, I was just hit with it also. Interstingly they also took the first months out without any notice and then weeks later I received the renewal in the mail, but it's "print date" was nearly a month ago. When I rang to ask about the ridiculous increase they apologised I had a month taken out without notice, but it sounds like it's fairly standard. My second dog is due for renewal within the week and I've received no paper work.

It appears to be calculated largely on the average size of the breed. My 21kg Vizsla is regarded a big dog, so her premiums whent up 50%. Although I've been happy enough with PetPlan previously, I can't afford to insure three dogs with their new premiums. I have cancelled one and told them not to renew the others. Time to get strict with the credit card and it's orignal use of pet emergencies!!

I have made my thoughts known on their facebook page :)

Edited by FHRP

my excess was $125, so if it's $100 now I'll be slightly impressed.

excess for me now is $100 and it will go up to $150 for a new dog and I assume the others when renewed. At least I think it is $100, maybe it is $125. Didn't bother me when I was claiming in the $1000's :)

Yep, I was just hit with it also. Interestingly they also took the first months out without any notice and then weeks later I received the renewal in the mail, but it's "print date" was nearly a month ago. When I rang to ask about the ridiculous increase they apologised I had a month taken out without notice, but it sounds like it's fairly standard. My second dog is dew for renewal within the week and I've received no paper work.

It appears to be calculated largely on the average size of the breed. My 21kg Vizsla is regarded a big dog, so her premiums went up 50%. Although I've been happy enough with PetPlan previously, I can't afford to insure three dogs with their new premiums. I have cancelled one and told them not to renew the others. Time to get strict with the credit card and it's original use of pet emergencies!!

The way they have gone about it is very shady! Interesting to know I wasn't the only one who they sneakily took advantage of...

I can imagine it's not viable any more for you having 3 dogs. It's such a pity because they do provide such excellent cover :(

with a new puppy on the horizon I'll have to do some serious comparing and evaluating. My main worries are bloat or snake/spider bite so theoretically a one off event. I hate reading the small print

Their cover was good, but with almost every claim I've made I've had to phone to follow it up and payment has been slow. My last claim with my pup I rang weeks after putting in the claim and they said they were waiting on full history, which I had already provided.

Looks to me like they've basically renamed their policies as a way to hike their premiums. The basics of what they sent me were almost exactly the same as what the previous policy was. I'm not prepared to pay 50% more.

Yeah, the policies are identical, it's just the pricing structure and how they're assessing 'risk' that's changed. I just keep getting angrier and angrier thinking about it! Their fb responses are useless too. Not even particularly conciliating.

It is a large lump of cash and I budget to do it though, but I pay an annual premium - that way they can't put it up without me agreeing.

If you claim and you pay your premium monthly, you are obligated to pay the premiums for the rest of the 12 insurance term anyway.

Do they have a weasel words clause that says they can change the monthly premium after some sort of "notice" ???

They really should not have taken out the first months payment without agreement of the new policy anyway! Regardless of payment method. My car insurance renewal etc. always arrives well in advance so I can stop the renewal of the policy before the first payment.

They really should not have taken out the first months payment without agreement of the new policy anyway! Regardless of payment method. My car insurance renewal etc. always arrives well in advance so I can stop the renewal of the policy before the first payment.

I think this is the worst thing.

If that happened to me I would ask for a refund for that amount and then cancel the policy.

If that happened to me I would ask for a refund for that amount and then cancel the policy.

Unfortunately from reading other reviews on facebook, it seems all too common. When I rang them during the week and I questioned my other dogs renewal they said they would email me the updated rates. I have received nothing.

Looking through the Facebook comments it seems the price hike is actually costing them money and resources. They seem to have a person on facebook full time trying to do damage control through there, not the mention the increase in calls through to the call center.

Just did a quick look around - RSPCA, Medibank and PIA and all came in cheaper then PetPlan for the "12 Month Cover". I will have to read further but I think a couple had their limit ($11,000) set for each year or each diagnoses. So am thinking if you had an ongoing complaint you would be covered up to the $11,000 even if it was spread over more then 12 months. They all only paid 75 or 80% of the claim after taking the excess out though. I've been with Medibank before with no dramas and mainly switched to PetPlan for the acupuncture bit.

Lots more reading to do. Renewal is not until mid August so I have plenty of time to research. Thanks for the heads up aliwake.

Yep, I was just hit with it also. Interstingly they also took the first months out without any notice and then weeks later I received the renewal in the mail, but it's "print date" was nearly a month ago. When I rang to ask about the ridiculous increase they apologised I had a month taken out without notice, but it sounds like it's fairly standard. My second dog is due for renewal within the week and I've received no paper work.

It appears to be calculated largely on the average size of the breed. My 21kg Vizsla is regarded a big dog, so her premiums whent up 50%. Although I've been happy enough with PetPlan previously, I can't afford to insure three dogs with their new premiums. I have cancelled one and told them not to renew the others. Time to get strict with the credit card and it's orignal use of pet emergencies!!

This thread prompted me to go check out the policies. Seem the same thing has happened to me. Luka policy expired 5th May and I have received no renewal documents at all. Just gone on the C/C statement and have been charged $67.97, used to be $44.90

$67.97 isn't even the correct figure. I just did a quote and it's $65.93 plus I usually get 10% off for multiple policies (if they are still doing that)

It is absolutely disgusting that they haven't sent the renewal through to give me chance to say No Thank You. This is bordering on criminal, i reckon. :mad

Off to email them. Still waiting on a claim they received on 8/4/14 too so I can chase that up at the same time :mad

Good news is Mya's policy renewed on 26/3 and is the same price as last year so at least I have 12 months at that rate. Jenna's is up in August so I've got few months there too.

I'm not surprised and think it will happen across the industry. A lot of vets ask if you have insurance and suggest expensive treatment options if you do (not that this is a bad thing, but it is unsustainable). It would be good if someone offered a discount based on health testing.

Are you sure they didn't send you a letter? Thru can't up fees unless your contract is up and they tell you .

Absolutely certain Megan, that's why I didn't realise Luka's policy had run out!

Seems like their admin has blown a bit of a fuse. a Lot of angry people out there. Me included :mad

I have sent an email but so, I suspect, have thousand of others. :(

I would imagine at that rate you would be better off without insurance and maybe set money aside yourself and earn interest on it, with those premiums you would want his vet fees to be over $9000 over the next 10 years, and that's if the premiums don't go up again which they will

Yup

Yes definitely. Plenty of other companies.

Very bad practice.