Puppy Pudding Poo

kwirky

Hi all,

My 13 week old Golden has started having pudding poo, instead of the usual log-type poo. We have not changed his diet in any way, and although he is bright and alert and eating very well, I am a little concerned about this.

He seems to poo only at night, especially recently and his first poo of the evening is about 8 or 9 at which time it is soft and pudding-y. He will then go every 2 or 3 hours for a similar type of occurance.

I started adding some pumpking (steamed then pureed, 2 tablespoon fulls) to his food as of yesterday and last night was the same as the previous couple. I also gave him some plain Greek Yoghurt to hopefully settle his tummy.

Does anyone have any advice? I thought to take him to the vet on Wednesday if things do not settle down.

The treats we use are Chicken & Lamb Trainups (from Australian Pet Treat Company (product details below)

Product Description

A delicious crunchy jerky cube, that is the perfect size for training.

These little cubes fit perfectly in your pocket or training pouch and are the perfect "mini" size for repetitive training.

Ingredients: Chicken and Lamb and their relavant by products, cereal and cereal by products, salt, humectants and essential vitamins and minerals.

Typical analysis: Protein: 13.3% Fat 10% Fibre: 2% Salt less than 1 %

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has had these for the past 3 weeks or so.

We have given him bully sticks & rawhide knots over the past week also, as well as a Dentastix daily.

That is a LOT of commercial treats for a little tummy in my opinion. Keep it simple. Use daily meals for training (cooked chicken for high distraction environments) and give some dry food mixed with raw mince stuffed in Kongs and raw meaty bones to keep him busy. However without being able to see the pup's condition I'd be advising a vet check first.

Thanks for that. I will replace the training treats with his kibble (he is on Pro Plan Puppy, wet and dry).

I called the vet office and they said to keep an eye on him for the next day or two and then bring him in if the soft poo continues.

I don't really know much about yakult. If it's likely to have lactose I'd give it a miss while he's already a bit off. Just grab some capsules (inner health plus has a much higher dose than most other brand - 25billion good bacteria I think?) Just take that into account when you're comparing prices. Maybe start with half a capsule a day and go from there.

My boy had a lot of tummy upsets when he was a pup (coccidia then giardia within a few weeks), and even once he was recovered it was hard to get a solid poo out of him until I started giving yoghurt and extra probiotics. It worked within about 2 days to firm everything up.

Hopefully your boy doesn't have anything that needs treatment and will improve asap for you!

I would be concerned on why this puppy only poo's at night. That is not normal. How are you toilet training him? Is he shy about going with an audience? Does he have a very soft temperament and have you growled at him for an accident or two? Is he holding on until he is in bed now?

and I agree all those chews and things are way too many. My adult dogs do soft poo after one dentastick and it's the same colour!

I am in the process of finding out that these treats you mentioned do cause 'changes' to the habits of puppies.

Oh, man. Have we had the soft poos :eek:

I spoke to my breeder. She is also a Vet. Her thoughts were that even though Herbie the Horrible is 6 months old, his stomach is not 'quite' up to gorging on treats.

I felt a need to tell her my nose is not up to the pong either.

Be careful with the puppy. Try to make sure he does not dehydrate.

Good Luck

Inner Health it is.

I noticed yesterday that he did not go during the day (he is not shy at all!!!) I think. I did a clean up of the land mines and now for the life of me cannot recall if there was a fresh deposit or two. I will check again today. He is almost totally house broken (couple of little pees here and there).

If I were to make some chicken and rice would that further upset his tummy as it is a change in eating?

And I am definitely cutting out the treats at least until I am sure that his tummy feels better.

I have copied and pasted this Dentastix ingredients info from another site:

1. Rice flour (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler, causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.
  2. Wheat starch (Minus 1 point): Poor carbohydrate source causes allergies.
  3. Glycerin (Minus 1 point): Sweetens food, used as humectant (keeps food moist), interferes with nutrient assimilation.
  4. Calcium carbonate (Plus 1 point): Standard source of calcium, promotes strong bones, teeth, cardiovascular health and skeletal strength, used as a buffer to acidic foods.
  5. Gelatin (Minus 1 point): Filler / binder in can food.
  6. Gum arabic (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler/binder used in can foods.
  7. Cellulose Powder (Minus 1 point):Suspected to include recycled cardboard.
  8. Natural poultry flavor (Minus 1 point): Poor quality of flavor additive.
  9. Sodium tripolyphosphate (Minus 1 point): Used as rancid meat preservative.
  10. Salt(Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension — used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.

There is also vitamins [choline chloride, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), folic acid], smoke flavor, turmeric, iron oxide, copper sulfate.

It maybe worth your while to use an alternative to Dentastix, perhaps deer antler...Guide Dogs sell them http://www.guidedogsqld.com.au/product/leading-raw-natural-deer-antler-chews/

dentastix/rawhide chews ... have you thought about substituting large raw carrots /apples and , best of all nice soft fresh bones? WHEN HE'S BETTER AGAIN ;) Chicken wings/frames , Turkey wings , lamb ribs/flaps ...... all these, esp if fed when half frozen will feed/clean teeth, and keep pup occupied for some time :)

Update.. I went home at lunchime to check on the little monkey - still chirpy and full of beans (yay!!). I also did a good look at outside and found several log type poos (double yay!!). As I had mentioned earlier I had done a scoop up yesterday (he was digging in the garden bed so I wanted to put some deterrant there :eek: ) so I am quite certain that these are less than 24 hours old, although starting to dry out as they are in the full sun.

Does anyone have any idea as to the dosage of probiotics (inner health)? There are several details online, however I have seen that it should be equivalent to human dosage?