List Of No Kill Pounds In Sydney

This is probably elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

A friends adult son is about to surrender his dog today.

I am trying to get them to take it to a no kill pound.

Usual story...... lovely mastiff cross. No training, new baby, owners are idiots, pup hits 14 months old and starts destroying stuff.

Don't get me started..... I would take the dog here but other half has said no today.

I just want to get it to the right place.

They are in the hills area.

Thanks folks.

Sorry to hear this. The only one I know of is Sydney dogs and cats home which is a pound for 11 different councils. I think most other pounds have a euth polity. Each council has a pound (or taps into a facility). I think the hills is blacktown / renbury.

You're probably after a rescue group - many of which don't have a drop in facility (lots run from backyards and rely on private fosters).

Edited to add: If you can convince them to hold on - it might be worth doing a phone around to see if a group will take him.

Edited by Scottsmum

I've never surrendered a dog..I was under the impression that you had to take it to the facility who impounds for the council you live in. That you can't drive across town to find somewhere else.

Hills Shire Council dogs go to Hawkesbury Companion Animal Shelter, aiming at reduced PTS rates, not sure what the stats are atm but they are trying.

Pounds in general: some are working towards low-kill to the best of their resources. But they only have a finite amount of room to work with.

If you surrender a dog to a pound that is overflowing already then there is a very real possibility that dog will be at serious risk of euthanasia. Surrendered dogs are able to be put to sleep immediately although I've heard some have a 24hr holdover in case the owner changes their mind.

Agree with What Powerlegs wrote...

Not sure where you are dogs life; Sydney Dogs and Cats home is indeed the impounding facility for 11 councils and whilst they aim to have a low kill rate, they are definitely not a no kill pound. I don't think there's such a thing. Only a rescue group who have a stringent screening process for their intakes could claim to be no kill.

I'm in rescue myself so I know the issues of fostering and no spaces.

There are a few no kill pounds in Sydney but I can't remember which ones.

You can surrender a dog anywhere I am sure.

I just want to see if this dog can get a second chance.

I'm in rescue myself so I know the issues of fostering and no spaces.

There are a few no kill pounds in Sydney but I can't remember which ones.

You can surrender a dog anywhere I am sure.

I just want to see if this dog can get a second chance.

I don't think that is the case, dogs life. However, if it is, I ditto what fbaudry has said about Sydnet Dogs and Cats Home.

Good luck in your endeavours.

I am trying to convince them to hang on for a week but the girlfriend is not budging.

I am with Great Dane rescue so I have all the rescue contacts. They just want to dump the dog today.

Best I can do is get it into a low kill or no kill pound.

people suck.

My friend is actually my bloke's friend and he only mentioned it in passing. He thinks the pound will be ok and that I am too soft.

The morons probably got the dog off gumtree when they were bored.

She was surrendered to Blacktown pound today.

I think she is impound number 1403027.

Why do people not invest time with their dogs.

Our boy is the same age and a pain at the moment but we make the time to ensure he is happy.

Just 15 mins a day makes such a difference.

SDCH is definitely not no kill, no pounds can truly claim that due to the space issues.

There is also the RSPCA and AWL, you'd just have to hope that as a young dog he'd have a better chance at either of those locations.

No one is saying that SDCH is No Kill, :banghead: but they do keep dogs and cats for as long as possible. The dog is being surrendered and as such pounds are not legally bound to keep him for a minimum time.

I think there is confusion about what the term 'no kill' means. The correct definition as per the person who created the movement is:

"A no-kill shelter is a shelter that saves all healthy, treatable and rehabilitatable animals. A rule of thumb is that, to be no-kill, a shelters saves more than 90% of all animals received.[5] Ideally, No Kill would mean all "adoptable" and "treatable" animals are saved and only "unadoptable" or "non-rehabilitatable" animals are euthanized, but 90% is the threshold."

The no kill movement brings the term 'euthanasia' back to it's dictionary definition - to release an animal from suffering that can't be rectified. Typically less than 10% of the animals that come in to a shelter are truly untreatable, and as such the threshold is put at 90% (but this can of course be improved on depending of what that 10% is like and some places are saving even more than 90%).

A no kill shelter euthanises animals that are behaviourally or medically untreatable, but it does not 'kill' - which is putting to sleep healthy and adoptable or medically or behaviourally treatable animals.

Looking at SDCH's stats they absolutely meet the definition for 'no kill' when it comes to dogs in their care.