Tranter Stands Down From O L

Powerlegs

http://www.smh.com.au/national/animal-activist-worn-down-by-online-abuse-20140607-39q2x.html

Standing aside: Oscar's Law founder Debra Tranter says she has suffered at the hands of trolls. Photo: Joe Armao

Veteran animal rights activist and founder of Melbourne lobbyists Oscar's Law, Debra Tranter, is standing down as the public face of the campaign because of ''debilitating'' online trolling.

She will stand down in November after she has fulfilled speaking commitments at a world youth forum next month and leading an animal rights rally at the Victorian Parliament in October. She said this week she felt like she had suffered repeated ''kicks in the head'' after sustained trolling and abuse directed at her online - on Facebook, Twitter, blogs and forums.

Trolling is a deliberate attempt to upset or anger someone online. Part of the Commonwealth Criminal Code Act regulates the internet and can be used to prosecute trolls.

There are also laws in Victoria and NSW that can be used against offensive online behaviour.

The abuse against Ms Tranter has also spilled offline with threatening phone calls and her home address posted on the internet.

Ms Tranter, who lives alone, has moved house within Victoria six times and now uses elaborate security systems. Oscar's Law has campaigned since 1993 to have puppy farms banned and dogs from puppy farms banned from sale in pet shops. Ms Tranter has also promoted dog adoption through rescue groups and shelters.

But her own motivations and ethics have been questioned online where she has been accused of stealing donated money and casting doubt on dog breeders who consider themselves ethical but might be perceived to be running a ''puppy farm''.

Ms Tranter, 48, has a heart condition and suffered a heart attack last year. She says the trolling ''has a lot to do with'' her decision to stand down. ''It is hard to take and it is hard to understand. Every time you stick your head up you get a kick and … that gets to you.''

Ms Tranter said apart from the toll on her, the effect of the trolling was to make members of the public question whether they should donate money or time to her cause. She said in one instance a Melbourne events company pulled out of an alliance due to threatening letters sent to them anonymously.

Ms Tranter's decision comes as another Melbourne activist campaign - No Maccas in the Dandenong Ranges, based in Tecoma - faces court against another alleged troll and stalker. Amy Muratore, 26, the daughter of campaign head Garry Muratore, is seeking an intervention order against a former mayor of Preston, Alan Coutinho-Hogan, 66, alleging he told her she should be ''gang-raped''.

Mr Coutinho-Hogan has claimed in court he does not know her and will contest the allegations next month. Jenna Price of feminist campaigners Destroy The Joint says she and her daughters have also been threatened both online and offline.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/animal-activist-worn-down-by-online-abuse-20140607-39q2x.html#ixzz341MNdZAW

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So many morons hiding behind keyboards, they are everywhere and think nothing of making vile and disparaging remarks. They are responsible for much misery in the world, suicides galore and breakdowns. They all need to get themselves a life, I doubt any of them would cope with having the abuse levelled at them.

Ironically I clearly remember her encouraging people to do the same thing.

Actually that was the first thing that came to my mind too.

Mine too. One can't bully and encourage bullying then cry when one is bullied.

Pots and kettles come to mind here...

Can remember being on the receiving end of some of her troll followers myself... not so cool when it's being done back at one now, is it?

I definitely don't agree with the complete nutters who think it's OK to post people's private addresses and encouraging others to do them harm - no matter which side of the fence it comes from.

T.

Sometimes I wonder were people always so crazy ?

Meaning her & the crazies causing the trouble too.

People are becoming more seriously mentally unbalanced I am sure or is it that we realise it more now ?

I think that she did start out with good intentions but then became a bit weird however not right that she gets hassled to the point of being frightened. No excuse for that.

Well I think it's sad.

And I quite agree. It's funny how on this forum and other internet sites, some people love to cut down those people and organisations who are helping to change the perception and treatment of animals. Let's save our anger for those who mistreat animals and profit from their mistreatment.

Having been one of the targets of social media at one time by someone who didn't even know me, but attacked my efforts to help animals, it is never okay to hide behind a keyboard and sprout venom as some do. They would never say it face to face or without the backup of the anonymous army.

I don't know if Debra Trantor did what some are saying, but I do know she has done a truckload of good for a lot of animals, possibly at the expense of following a better life for herself. Maybe we can celebrate that instead.

Well I think it's sad.

And I quite agree. It's funny how on this forum and other internet sites, some people love to cut down those people and organisations who are helping to change the perception and treatment of animals. Let's save our anger for those who mistreat animals and profit from their mistreatment.

Having been one of the targets of social media at one time by someone who didn't even know me, but attacked my efforts to help animals, it is never okay to hide behind a keyboard and sprout venom as some do. They would never say it face to face or without the backup of the anonymous army.

I don't know if Debra Trantor did what some are saying, but I do know she has done a truckload of good for a lot of animals, possibly at the expense of following a better life for herself. Maybe we can celebrate that instead.

Yes

She gives as good as she gets, so this is a surprising press release.

Sometimes life just wears you down. Sounds like she has some serious health issues and after years of battling against puppy farmers, the fact that they are still allowed to operate without much control, perhaps she's decided to save herself.

I think she's done a great deal of good to bring awareness of so much cruelty but until pet shops and online sales of all these crossbreeds stop, there's no hope.

It's all based on greed. These puppy farmers that sell online mislead buyers by saying they are registered breeders for God's sake

Im more than happy to give her what she deserves - recognition for the work she has done in defending her point of view and I respect her for seeing what she felt was a problem and going after her passion and working to what her group felt were the solutions are to a huge problem but its difficult to feel sympathetic to her being treated the way her followers have treated others and still do.

Edited by Steve

Ironically I clearly remember her encouraging people to do the same thing.

My thoughts exactly.

She encouraged and participated in the very behaviour she now claims is so distressing for her that she has been forced to step down from her role.

Reap what you sow, as they say.

Edited by ~Anne~

Sandgrubber wrote a post on this forum - this was taken to DT facebook page and placed there stating it was my post - that then started threats and became so bad I had to take it to the police - my address was published and there were calls for me to bleed and burn and die- hard to feel much sympathy for any one involved or condoning such things.