Schutzhund

Hi I'm up here in Townsville ,and I wonder if anyone up here is interested in Schutzhund training

Up here . I have a working line German Shepherd (Alpinebase Hank (Ocky). He's 14 months old

and I think his brain is starting to catch up to his body Ha Ha Ha

I am training him as per DVDs and books . It would help if there are others up here

with a common interest

Hi, I know of someone at my club in Cairns with a malinois who was talking about doing it at some stage. That was a few months ago and she's now preparing for UDX so not sure when she'd be up for it. Her and her dog are amazing though, beautiful team to watch.

I love watching schutzhund, so much work and dedication it's awesome :-)

I'm training away and enjoying it . Not up to comp stage . Maybe after winter , as the summer sure puts the brakes on training . I think I'll put more time into tracking while it's cool.

I think it's to early for comp as he needs more work on focus

Real good without distraction Ha Ha Ha

PS thank you for your reply

No reason why you can't train for a BH on your own, as well as obedience 1-3 and tracking titles. Character work is a little more difficult without and experienced helper but you can still teach a lot of the basics alone (targeting, blind search, hold and bark, transports, etc can all be taught without a helper).

If you want to trial you'll need to join a club and apply for your sportspass and scorebook. Gold Coast (or even Darwin) is probably going to be your closest.

The Schutzhund Australia IPO Nationals are being held on the Gold Coast this year on the 19th/20th July. May be worth getting down there if you are interested.

10455093_920384824654495_9175756620075355011_n.jpg

rusty&biscuit; if that's the dog I'm thinking of (Udo) I own a female from the same litter biggrin.gif

RE. Red Fox

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement

I'll keep working on BH and Obedience . As he seems slow to mature teaching myself to teach him should keep me busy for a while :-)

I have three DVDs of Gottfried Dildei (basic obedience :Advanced Obedience : A modern view of correction )

Also two DVDs of Ivan Balananov ( Clear communication ::

The game )

Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction :-)

Dildei is a little outdated, but Balabanov's DVD's are still very relevant.

Get on you-tube and have a look for anything with Bart Bellon.

Michael Ellis is good value for the all basics, Leerburg have plenty of free vids available http://leerburg.com/flix/category.php?categoryid=10

Plenty of good reading material out there as well. (PM me if you're interested and I can go through my book list and see what's worth reading..)

But you'd really want to start with this: http://www.schutzhundaustralia.com/pdf/trialrules.pdf

On top of all that there are a shitload of international trainers coming out to Australia this year and next for seminars including; Knut Fuchs, Mario Verslype, Peter Scherke, Floriann Knabl, Forrest Micke, Uta Bindles and Tobias Oleynik.

So plenty of info out there for anyone with an interest in the sport. smile.gif

Good luck!

Yep Red Fox, that's Indi :D How's your female going? Do you do any sports with her? Indi is a beautiful dog!

I've been following him on Facebook, his owner is doing a great job with him!

My dog is doing well thank you, I've had a bit of a break from training lately but hoping to get back into it for an IPO1 title soon enough.

Here she is in May last year during our BH trial. Passed BH that day and she got her TR1 pass the following morning biggrin.gif

581849_10151650659774628_743168224_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks rusty&biscuit and red fox for the nice compliments. Indy's breeder told me about this forum so I though I'd join. Yes Octopus1 I am trying to start a sporting dog club in Cairns and at the end of our current trial season (October) I hope to be able to get things going. Rusty&biscuit are you still interested in doing some training with us? Octopus1, I currently have about 3 people with 4 dogs wanting to start training and 2 guys interested in training as helpers. Towards the end of the year I hope to be able to organise trainers from the Gold Coast club to come up for a weekend seminar to get us started so if you're interested let me know and we'll talk

Thanks rusty&biscuit and red fox for the nice compliments. Indy's breeder told me about this forum so I though I'd join. Yes Octopus1 I am trying to start a sporting dog club in Cairns and at the end of our current trial season (October) I hope to be able to get things going. Rust&biscuit are you still interested in doing some training with us? Octopus1, I currently have about 3 people with 4 dogs wanting to start training and 2 guys interested in training as helpers. Towards the end of the year I hope to be able to organise trainers from the Gold Coast club to come up for a weekend seminar to get us started so if you're interested let me know and we'll talk

Yes I am interested for sure . I will try to find any others down here that may be interested as well

I have found two extremes so far .there's , Those that think

your training attack dogs and get upset if you suggest

Schutzhund , and then there's the idiots that think it would be a great idea to get the dog to bite someone regardless

I just have to sort out who is interested in the SPORT of Schutzhund . (There's got to be more people in Townsville)

I'll keep looking :-)

PS thanks for your reply Pupster . Enjoy your training .

Red Fox she's gorgeous! :love:

Pupster that'd be awesome!! Unforunately due to unforseen circumstances I can no longer consider taking up the sport with my Aussie, but I would love to come along as a volunteer/helper, so I can learn how it's all done and be a part of the action for many years down the track when I get a dog suited for the sport! I will be going to the US for a minimum 6 months at some stage next year, but before I go and when I return would you mind me being a little helper? :) Thank you for replying, I am so looking forward to it now! :D

Yep Red Fox, that's Indi :D How's your female going? Do you do any sports with her? Indi is a beautiful dog!

I've been following him on Facebook, his owner is doing a great job with him!

My dog is doing well thank you, I've had a bit of a break from training lately but hoping to get back into it for an IPO1 title soon enough.

Here she is in May last year during our BH trial. Passed BH that day and she got her TR1 pass the following morning biggrin.gif

581849_10151650659774628_743168224_n.jpg

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Wonderful shot!!!!

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be so late to the party. I'm not really too interested in Schutzhund, but I've had a few people mention their interest in it lately in Townsville.

Have you set up a Facebook group or anything I can direct them to for more information or just so they can ask you a few questions?

Is Indi going to be making any trips to Townsville in the next few months for any competitions? I missed him last time he was here and I've heard some awesome things about him from his breeder so would love to see him in person.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Another Cairns person here interested in schutzhund. I've got a working line GSD puppy, 17 weeks old, way too feisty for puppy school

Would love to do some training that channels his energy instead of trying to suppress it.

Sent you a message, pupster.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi BrunoDi and Citizen. Sorry for the late reply but all this forum stuff is still new to me and I totally forget that I should be checking in occasionally. Firstly BrunoDi I will be in Townsville at the end of March next year for a tracking trial with him and hopefully with my new Mal pup who is currently 6mths old and then again in April for obedience trials at the COCT.

If you know of anyone interested in protection sports you could direct them to my dog training Facebook page Vanguard K9 Training Services and get them to send me a message. I do have a small business running here in Cairns who are not interested in doing obedience or joining a club but have issues with their pets.

Citizen, yes I am working on starting a 'sporting dog' club which will involve training dogs in the art of protection sports. At the moment I have 1 person who is keen to be a helper for the club but I need more. A helper is the adrenaline junky type of person who would enjoy being 'attacked' by a large dog. So if you know anyone who would enjoy this type of 'fun' then please let me know. Once I have enough helpers keen to join we can seriously start to get this club up and running. I am meeting more and more people who want to be able to do other things with their dogs other than just obedience and agility. Don't get me wrong I love obedience and agility but I know my dogs will enjoy the other challenges that come with the protection sports.

So to sum it all up I need names of dedicated helpers and then I will finalise the list of people truly interested in training their dogs and then I will be asking our new members to share the cost of inviting trainers from other clubs to come and train our helpers firstly and then train those of us with dogs. A sporting dog club will only be as good as our helpers. It is the same with tracking, if you have someone who is not skilled in laying a track you will not be able to train your dogs correctly.