The Hardest Part About Having A Puppy?

SirMick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and for this particular pup (not so much my old lab), teaching bite inhibition!

People thought I had a feral cat because of all the tiny scratch like puppy teeth marks on my arms and hands for the first few weeks laugh.gif

Don't let this innocent face fool you!

1044405_10151554535695787_1795674068_n.jpg

Lack of sleep. Willow is a sun up...ALL up...kind of girl. We are loving winter and the dark mornings. :laugh:

Yep, and the nightime toilet trips. I like my sleep :)

This!!

Just the longest time out in the back yard in the middle of the night 'waiting' for that poop.

Sometimes we come in a tad too soon.

Ah well, tissues work OK.

:eek:

Lack of sleep. Willow is a sun up...ALL up...kind of girl. We are loving winter and the dark mornings. :laugh:

Yep, and the nightime toilet trips. I like my sleep :)

This!!

Just the longest time out in the back yard in the middle of the night 'waiting' for that poop.

Sometimes we come in a tad too soon.

Ah well, tissues work OK.

:eek:

I must have been blessed by those above us. From 8 weeks on, I can honestly say, I never had to take my boy, who is now 2 out during the night. Even now, he's in no hurry to relieve himself around 7 - 7.30 after the night's sleep.

Didi was quick to toilet train and being a big puppy could hold her bladder all night after a few days BUT teaching bite inhibition was so hard, nothing seemed to work until one day she got with the program (many bite marks later).

The worst part is them growing up.

It's only been 5 months, where did this tiny little baby go?

post-51158-0-82214500-1402468338_thumb.jpg

Finding the time to put into the early months to ensure I get the adult dog I want to live with.

This, and a variation on it - being absolutely consistent, patient and super observant even when sleep deprived and frustrated. I think it's not so much the puppy time as it is the adolescent time that is the most challenging.

Finding the time to put into the early months to ensure I get the adult dog I want to live with.

I actually found (and still finding through adolescence) this as the most rewarding part about having a puppy smile.gif

I tried to make sure we went somewhere public at least once a day, even if it was to the coffee shop 5 minutes away to get used to crowds and sitting nice and quietly and I enjoyed it.

As well as having a nicely adjusted dog now, I actually ended up becoming really great friends with a woman that works at pet barn and the barista at the best dog friendly coffee shop laugh.gif Having a puppy has increased my social life, even when I would prefer to do stuff with him over attending events with humans.

waiting for it to grow up, I'd like to be able to fast forward to 18 months or 2 years to see what I have

I agree with this.

As much as I LOVE puppies, I couldn't wait for Nala to mature so I could see her movement and structure.

I don't mind the full nights sleep now either.