The Hardest Part About Having A Puppy?

SirMick

It has been a long time since I've had puppies, but I remember the hardest part was having to go to work and leave them. They were the most adorable little Maltese, they came from their breeders on the same day so they could keep each other company. I took a couple of weeks off work to settle them in and it was just awful eventually having to leave them at home.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love puppies - they are so much fun, I love puppy training. The only thing I don't like is when you leave the room to have a shower or something and leave someone else in charge of the puppy for 10 minutes, and come back to a puddle on the floor!

I love puppies - they are so much fun, I love puppy training. The only thing I don't like is when you leave the room to have a shower or something and leave someone else in charge of the puppy for 10 minutes, and come back to a puddle on the floor!

Although I had a bit of a moan about the late night toilet trips, they are part of the journey.

What I am totally loving nowadays is having Horrible Herbert come on recall.

He is out to 50 metres now. I swear as he runs back to me, his smile gets bigger. All the older Vizslak were the same.

Mommas smiles so much at that.

Yep, DiscoDobe, they are fun indeed.

:love:

I love puppies... Everything about owning one is part of the fun. Yes there is mess, mops & bucket are your best friends. But the amount of enjoyment & fun a puppy brings into your life is unmeasurable IMHO. I never want them to grow up but they do :thumbsup:

waiting for it to grow up, I'd like to be able to fast forward to 18 months or 2 years to see what I have

I agree with this.

As much as I LOVE puppies, I couldn't wait for Nala to mature so I could see her movement and structure.

I don't mind the full nights sleep now either.

I agree with both of you.

I think the other thing that really got to me, especially in the first 2 months or so was the intense fear that everything I was doing was wrong and that I was going to screw her up but that might just be a first dog thing rather than a puppy thing. I think I started reading DOL topics the first week I had her and everything I read freaked me out and made me think I was not up to the task and that I wouldn't have a perfect dog(but I have since learnt there is no such thing). Didi is not perfect and she has her flaws, some probably due to me not being very experienced but she is still a wonderful dog and I'm extremely pleased with her.

I think now I'd be a lot calmer and less worked up and enjoy the baby puppy months a bit more, you can do as much reading as you want on bringing up a puppy but nothing compares to actually doing it.

I love puppies... Everything about owning one is part of the fun. Yes there is mess, mops & bucket are your best friends. But the amount of enjoyment & fun a puppy brings into your life is unmeasurable IMHO. I never want them to grow up but they do :thumbsup:

I agree BCC :) I do also love watching them grow up into their adult selves though.. Then it's fun to bring in a new puppy for the adults to teach!

Yes Terri I am feeling that myself. My next one will be a working animal, trained in a role that I don't actually have a lot of experience in myself and I'm already just a little terrified :laugh:

I can imagine, I just want my dog to be a generally good canine citizen but I couldn't imagine training her to fulfill a role (other than full time bed warmer of course).

I'm sure you'll do great though :)

The first 12 months of raising a puppy is so critical, the number one thing I would stress about is making sure I get raising them right. That I train and teach them all the right foundation behaviours because that is a huge part of what makes them the adult dog I want.

Ivy was a fussy eater as a puppy and I tore my hair out trying to get her to eat! But thanks to a brilliant breeder; we over came that issue in no time.

But the hardest part was leaving her home alone, worrying I was constantly raising her wrong and having to wipe a fluffy Belgian butt when she had the runs.

But nearly 6 years down the track; Ivy couldn't be more perfect!

The hardest part for me this time is having so many conflicting views on food and growth. Every breeder and bred site has different ideas.

My puppy is a Borzoi and at 7 months old he now weighs 35kgs and is 74cms tall ! and he still has prominent growth nodules !

The other hard part is remembering that despite his size he is still a puppy with a puppy brain.

His breeder did a great job with toilet training and he has never had an accident inside.

The first 12 months of raising a puppy is so critical, the number one thing I would stress about is making sure I get raising them right. That I train and teach them all the right foundation behaviours because that is a huge part of what makes them the adult dog I want.

Totally agree with this !!! :)

Neko at 10 months is still incredibly lively, and I dont think it's going to stop anytime soon. It's hard to tire her out, and when she's in a mood she cannot be ignored or she'd go and trash something. She's already torn holes in my carpet, thank goodness I'm not renting. I dont know if it's necessarily because she is a puppy, I think it's more her breed.

I had some friends, long time whippet and greyhound breeders/showies visit yesterday and after about 10 minutes of watching her they said they couldn't stand it, it would drive them nuts.

Neko at 10 months is still incredibly lively, and I dont think it's going to stop anytime soon. It's hard to tire her out, and when she's in a mood she cannot be ignored or she'd go and trash something. She's already torn holes in my carpet, thank goodness I'm not renting. I dont know if it's necessarily because she is a puppy, I think it's more her breed.

I had some friends, long time whippet and greyhound breeders/showies visit yesterday and after about 10 minutes of watching her they said they couldn't stand it, it would drive them nuts.

I want an iggy just like her! She sounds perfect :D

I want an iggy just like her! She sounds perfect :D

I love her. She makes me laugh every day. It's lucky I'm with her all the time though, I think if I had to leave her alone she'd be a problem, she'd either have to be crated or put outside, because she'd trash the house if she had free rein. She wouldn't cope with being locked out though either, she'd get too cold and she barks alot. She's nothing like a whippet puppy that's for sure, although I knew that when I got her. I dont know where she gets all her energy from, there's nothing of her, and yet she could power a small city with the amount of output she has.