Heartworm Injection Vs Monthly Tablets

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

This has probably been done to death but I need some help deciding if I should do the yearly injection instead of the monthly tablet. At present we do the tablet but I'm notorious for forgetting so its not really month on the dot. I am considering getting the injection.

Is this a better alternative for someone like me who forgets or should I stick with the tabs? How much is the injection on average?

I'd personally stick to the tablets; I too am notorious for forgetting but I believe the tablets really cover the dog for a period of six weeks.

Back in 2006, a vet convinced me the injection was the way to go. Olaf was quite sick for a while after the injection - vet refused to admit there was a cause and effect but I couldn't help but believe there was.

Been slightly more educated now, there's no way I'd let my dogs being injected with so much poison in one go - especially if I had little ones like yours. Considering yours seem to be mostly indoors, I think it is not worth the risk.

I used to always get the yearly vac. but have just swapped over to the monthly tablet for my girl as I am trying to keep her as chemical free as possible. I just give her a tablet on the first of every month as I too am prone to forget.

Not sure about the cost difference involved with a little dog but the monthly tablets are far cheaper than the yearly vac.for a medium size dog. I use the generic heartworm monthly tabs & they work out to be about $ 35 yearly. My vet charges $ 100 for the injection.

Guest donatella

Thanks all I'll stick to the tablets. 1 tablet does them both at half each so it's a tiny dose.

I normally remember at 6 weeks, I travel a lot for work at the moment so it does slip my mind. Will set any alarm on my phone

Guest donatella

We've always injected our family dogs and never had a problem its only since being here i've been really cautious about the chemicals involved and thought more about it. Will stick to the tablets as so far they tolerate well.

I don't get how hard it is to remember to give a tablet & why people would pick an alternative that is more harmful :confused:

Me either. Its just like remembering to pay your bills really. Surely there is a reminder app somewhere to use :D

I don't trust the yearly injection either.

Edited by Rosetta

Oh I am glad this topic came up, I have been wondering this myself. Abbey has had the injection previously and is due this month, however after talking with her naturopath about the injection I don't think I want to do it again, we want to reduce the amount of chemicals in her system as her immune system seems to over react.

What tablets do you all use?

Guest donatella

Valuhart here too. I buy them off eBay. I just bought another years worth today after this topic which for me is 2 boxes. 2 boxes = $30 free delivery. Can't complain about that for 2 dogs I guess

We use interceptor but only give it to them every 3 months, first of each new season to make it easier to remember :)

Heartworm can be killed at any time up to full maturity which takes between 3 and 6months.

I would never use the injection myself, I don't like the idea of putting 12months of chemicals in my dog all in one shot.

An interesting read someone sent the other day

Heartworm