Breeders Should...

Leema

147 members have voted

1. 1. Breeders should...

• Always take back any dog of their breed that becomes in need of rescue.
    • Always take back any dog they bred that becomes in need of rescue.
    • Always take back any dog like their breed that becomes in need of rescue.
    • Always take back at least some dogs that are in need of rescue.
    • Have no moral obligation to have anything to do with rescue.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't voted, because I think you need to put in another option.

Breeders may not be in a position to take in dogs needing rescue (eg. council limited numbers, personal circumstances - illness etc), but I think they should take some interest and offer help with contacts, info, advice, possible resources to help get the dog to safety or appropriately rehomed, especially if it it one of their own breeding.

I won't vote because "always take back" is too restrictive.

"Always take care of" would be better. No way in Gods green earth would I take a rescue dog into my home if I had unvaccinated pups. That's not to say I wouldn't see to the dog's welfare though.

This is where breeders (and other breed fanciers) cooperating to do breed rescue is so valuable.

What Gallomph said. I don't think you can expect someone's circumstances to always allow them to take on any dog needing help although I think it would depend on the breed somewhat. In my breed they rarely end up in rescue and if they do there are more than enough willing to help, in a more numerous breed like staffies for example things would be harder.

I haven't voted, because I think you need to put in another option.

Breeders may not be in a position to take in dogs needing rescue (eg. council limited numbers, personal circumstances - illness etc), but I think they should take some interest and offer help with contacts, info, advice, possible resources to help get the dog to safety or appropriately rehomed, especially if it it one of their own breeding.

I would change my vote to that actually.

There may be circumstances that it's impossible for the breeder to actually take in a dog, but I would hope they would help somehow.

I hope you are including all the puppy farmers and BYBer's in this.

I would always help out any dog I bred or any other show bred greyhound but I am not taking on the racing industry. With a cat and a very small dog license I doubt my help would actually include taking the dog into my home but there are plenty of other ways to help.

Firstly, I think that once a person purchases a dog, morally the responsibility lies with them if they can no longer keep the dog. Too much of this dialogue focusses on what breeders should do, and not enough attention is paid to the owner who wants to get rid of their dogs. However, I think breeders also have to have a role if they consider themselves in any way a steward of their breed.

We may not be able to take dogs back in all circumstances, but I believe we should have a plan we can enact and money set aside when a dog of our breeding does require rehoming. For me it's about following up on a placement, particularly if I made an error of judgement. This is especially the case if the dog is entire, because it is not just the dog that is the issue, but the impact that dog has on the community if it falls into the wrong hands. Pet shop Pharaoh Bull Mastiff crosses, for example.

Whether breeders should clean up after other breeders really depends on a number of things. Volume is one issue, there is no way I would expect individual Staffordshire Bull Terrier breeders to clean up after the tsunami of BYB staffies. It's impossible. The other issue is whether, in cleaning up after irresponsible breeders, you are in fact releasing the problem breeder from the consequences of their behaviour and freeing them up to keep going. It's very much a judgement call in each individual circumstance. Sometimes the better option will be to put pressure on the breeder to deal with it themselves, sometimes it won't be.

My personal approach to other people's breeding where the breeder is uninterested depends a great deal on whether the dog in question is out there undesexed. A neutered dog is less attractive to the BYBers and roo/pigging breeders and I'm much more inclined to work with the owner or a local rescue without fostering the dog myself. If the dog is entire tho', I will move much more quickly to secure it and then deal with who will foster etc later. I think it is in the interests of all breeders to take dogs out of the idiot breeding pool if they get the chance.

Ultimately tho', my dogs come first. I am not going to compromise their quality of life because I share my breed with people who are not responsible.

Yep, what ssm said.

I would move heaven and earth to help a dog I had bred be safe and happy, whether that meant bringing it home or finding a home. But if I didn't breed it, my response is situation specific. There is also a community element to it as I have a less common breed, I know those in my breed or related breeds who would help mine if they needed it and who are responsible about their own, and I will try harder if they are in need of help.

Edited by Diva

I would always take responsibility for a pup I bred. I might not be able to take it in personally but I would find a foster home/board the dog etc until something was sorted. I would ensure it found a good home. I care for all the pups I bred and am in contact with all my owners, so would hope they would come to me first anyway.

In my state I would help out if a dog in my breed came up and do my best to help with interstate dogs too. Whether that is as small as advising people on my waiting list about the dog or sharing details via my website/social media or a financial donation. I am in the process of starting a breed club in my state which should help provide a safety net for my breed here.

I pretty much agree with the above posters...I don't think it is fair for a breeder to be expected to accept for rehoming any dog of their breed(s) simply because you are asking the very few the clean up the messes of the many, in popular breeds. There will be a few cases of genuine change of circumstances, but most of an ethical breeder's sales will have gone to homes which value them and are not looking to rehome.

I do expect breeders to do everything they can to assist in the safe rehoming of a dog that they have bred. Although it may not be possible for them to take the dog into their own homes, they should be prepared to assist the owner with rehoming at the very least, and hopefully they can offer advertising, perhaps assistance with short term fostering ( even at a relative or friend's home), contributions towards desexing and/or health care where possible, networking for rehoming etc.

I think that there is an ethical obligation to give whatever assistance they can in the case of a dog they have bred, and those saints that often go out of their way to assist with dogs they have NOT bred should be lauded. thumbsup1.gif

Where the owner has surrendered to rescue without even contacting the breeder is when frustration can often occur - here the rescue has to decide whether or not to work with the breeder and vice versa.

The very least the breeder could do, in my opinion, in those circumstances, is to provide details of expected temperament and any possible issues based on their knowledge of parentage and offer their networking to assist in finding a suitable home. Most breeders would probably prefer to rehome the dog themselves, but if it has been surrendered directly to rescue, I'm not sure that many rescues would happily hand the dog over for the breeder to rehome, and they would have no obligation to do so.

I think I understand your frustration, Leema, but your choices are much too restrictive.

Circumstances changes. Perhaps you need a "would if I could" option.

You don't know what might have gone on in a breeder's life between the time when one of theirs dogs was rehomed and if it came into a pound.

You are asking for perfection and it is not going to happen.

So, I couldn't vote either.

I think breeders should try to take in rescue dogs of their breed but only if they have the room, time and resources to do so. It doesnt help anyone if they are taking in more dogs than they can comfortably care for and if that means no more dogs than they currently own then that is just the way it is. I do think all breeders should have a back up plan for any pups they produce but from what I have learned in taking in purebreds here and there most registered breeders I have run into have always been willing to take the dogs back if they are from them and BYB never will so until the BYB go away and only reputable registered breeders are left rescue is always going to be frustrating.

As posted not always possible for a variety of reasons but regarding dogs I have bred my view is that I put them on the earth deliberately therefore if they can't be cared for in the home I placed them in I must be responsible for them.

The thought of any dog I bred going into Rspca, Awl, pound etc would break my heart.

My heart breaks for them all in there but I can't be responsible for them all.

both my boys were rehomed by their original breeder when the circumstances of the owner changed, thats not to say I would vote that they should always take one they bred back.. it depends on the circumstances of all involved.. I applaud the breeder of my boys for being responsible & caring enough to step in & rehome though..

To be frankly honest though once an animal is homed with a new family there has got to be more responsibility placed on them to responsibly rehome their pet if their circumstances change..

I would take ,and have any foster of mine that didn't work out, wether I took it back myself or got it back into care.

I would expect a breeder to do the same, but after years in rescue I see that that doesn't happen. :(

Room is no excuse, I would pay for kennels if I had too.

Edited by juice

I would like to think that ethical breeders would take back or at least make alternative arrangements for a foster home or rehome any dog in need that they bred. Certainly some breeders do take responsibility for a dog they bred but in my experience this does not always happen.

It's the responsiblity of the owner of the dog to ensure their dog is kept safe. If they are unable to keep it the breeder of the dog should be given first option to take it back. Circumstances can change and it does happen that a caring responsible owner finds themselves in the position of no longer being able to care for the dog. Then there are the dead beat owners!

I think breeders should be responsible for any dog they bred if it needs to be rehomed but this doesn't necessarily mean they should take the dog in themselves. At least they should help to find alternative care for the dog to avoid it being left in a shelter or a pound and in danger of being PTS.

eta: Christina expressed it perfectly. I'd like to think hers is the attitude of all responsible breeders...sadly it's not.

Edited by cavNrott

I think breeders should either take back or if that is not possible, at least assist in rehoming a dog they bred.

I don't think they have any responsibility for dogs they didn't breed.

The breeders are not the problem. People's irresponsibility is.

things are not always black and white and in my opinion when someone takes a puppy they should know that its their responsibility and that they cant keep the dog for a couple of years and throw it back .Byt crappy things happen to dog owners and breeders - ideally an owner will keep the dog its whole life and if that's not possible the breeder will help to find it a new home but life is not always accommodating .