Teaching Pups The Show Ring!

JessicaM

Hello all!

I have 3 8.5 week old papillon pups here who I am running on, most likely keeping 2 but still got the other to hang onto.

This is my first litter and I got mum (Lily) at 8 months already lead trained and just had to work on her walking and table skills.

Now these pups have been on a leash twice, I have one bitch who is GREAT on the table really relaxed and walks nice on a lead.

The dog cries an screams when the lead goes tight and goes *PLONK* Bum on the floor. He has walked to me on a loose lead this arvo 3 times (little walk) and each time I gave him heaps of praise and took off the lead after the 3rd walk.

The other bitch screams, cries and goes mental and runs around when the lead is firm. She walked to me on a loose lead like the boy 3 times, lots of praise each time and 3rd go let her off the leash.

Now on the table the female pup that walks nice is very calm and relaxed (she is my pick bitch) the boy has his front feet stretched right in front of him at the start and eventually relaxes. The other girl gets nervous and all cramped up and doesn't stand very nice, she has a great length of body but appears hunched.

How is the best way to get the pups to RELAX on the leads and relax on the tables? Please any tips or advice, do I keep calm and supportive when walking them or be more firm? Bloody hell the neighbour's proberly think I am slaughtering them!

I know they are still babies but I want to make this enjoyable for them and want them ready if possible at 12 weeks for their first show! :-)qa7y3ava.jpghuje8yge.jpgha8azamy.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Not sure about show training, but leash training in general, have you tried them with just a collar and no lead so they get used to something around their neck first?

When they are used to that I attach a really light leash and let them drag it around supervised for a while.

Then pick up the leash with lots of treats, if they are really unhappy I wouldn't even leave the lounge room let alone try a walk straight away. Little baby steps.

My boy hated his collar and I had to do the same. He still doesn't like them, he will scratch at it constantly if I have it on him just at home, but going for a walks, training he's great.

Very cute puppies smile.gif

Edited by LisaCC

Oh one thing that really helped was putting his collar on before meals. "No food without your collar on". Now he doesn't run away when he sees it come out!

If the leash is your issue perhaps you can make a "no food without being on leash" rule?

Edited by LisaCC

Very cute babies :)

I assume you are using an extremely thin & light show lead ? I find it easier to hold the lead up in the air, sort of above the back of their neck so they can't get to it & chew it. If they won't walk or sit down I just stand still & usually they get bored & start to wander, then praise heaps to encourage. They all mess about but do get used to it after a few short goes.

Another show breeder told me to try standing pups at the back of the table to start with, not the front. Position/stand them with the back feet right on the edge & gently let them feel that there is nothing behind them. This way they should not step backwards but do be careful just in case :eek:

Thanks I'll try having a collar on them or some sort of thread thing, they are tiny not even 1kg yet haha. they are ok with the leads to drag around the house they just seem to hate to not be free and restrained if that makes sense? will try the back of the table thing and each day we will take baby steps :)

I have 3 leads here, two are made of nylon thread?

6e6yjyga.jpg

one has beads which makes it heavier and mums special braided lead but they enjoy chewing so I cant trust them with it.

I wouldn't use the type on the left that just slips through the ring, too easy to pull tight quick & accidently.

The type on the right is much better. You can set it to the tightness you want to & it won't alter. You can get really thin ones without the beads for about $5.

I :love: the puppy with the almost black face. Don't you just want to keep them all.

Thanks I'll try having a collar on them or some sort of thread thing, they are tiny not even 1kg yet haha. they are ok with the leads to drag around the house they just seem to hate to not be free and restrained if that makes sense? will try the back of the table thing and each day we will take baby steps :)

I have 3 leads here, two are made of nylon thread?

6e6yjyga.jpg

one has beads which makes it heavier and mums special braided lead but they enjoy chewing so I cant trust them with it.

I would not have a collar (yet) given they are so tiny.

See if you can get a lead made of a soft micro-fibre. Something they would hardly notice they have on.

Although my Herbert is heaps bigger (Vizsla), his breeder had him & his litter mates wearing light leads jsut for the sake of having them on their body. He played & for 5 mins daily, he got action with the lead. No pulling, not forcing but asking for a response. I would simply stack him at the end of the table ( as suggested). If he stood for a few seconds, he got the clicker & a treat. All of this was done never more than 15 mintues daily.

They are too tiny for longer. Keep in mind yours are gorgeous little puppies. Maybe they might not be quite ready for the ring at 12 weeks. You have to try to make sure they enjoy their life.

The trio are simply gorgeous. I read your thread in the Breeders' forum.

What a miracle your wee girl managed to successfully whelp such beauties.

I have so enjoyed these photos too

:love: