Excessive Barking 10 Month Old Staff

Adriano

Hi,

We have two purebred staffords, a girl who is 8 years old and a 10 month old boy we recently bought from an interstate breeder about 4 weeks ago. He knows how to sit, come to me on recall (most of the time) and is generally well mannered. He pulls on the lead a bit but I have a front clip harness to help with that. he is entire but we plan to de-sex him when he turns one.

The only negative so far has been his barking. i have always owned Staffs and they have all been mostly very quiet, apart from the usual Staffy talking.

Bruno loves to bark. I have three kids under 6, all boys and they love Bruno. The annoying thing is when we are all outside and the kids are on the tramp or just running around as kids do, Bruno starts to bark non-stop at the kids jumping on the trampoline and also sometimes when they are running around. This only happens outside. Inside he is the perfect gentleman again.

There is no growling, teeth baring or raised hackles. I wouldn't say he is scared of the kids as they pat him and scratch him under the chin all the time and he gives them smoochy kisses

I wonder if he is trying to assert himself or is acting tough to let everyone know that he is around. .

I really would like to sort this out before spring/summer when we will be outside for a good part of the day.

So far I have tried to ignore him but he has more stamina than me. What I do know is to remove him and banish him to the bathroom with the door closed until he calm's down. But once I let him out, he is back out there barking. I don't think he associated the banishment with punishment for his inappropriate barking. Some people have recommended water spray bottles, but i am reluctant to use that on Bruno. Shouting doesn't work. Getting him to come to me whilst he is barking doesn't work also - hence I get the lead to drag him inside.

Is there something else I should be doing? he is a beautiful boy but this unwanted barking must stop.

sorry for the long post and any hell/advice appreciated

I would hazard a guess it's an expression of excitement. Shouting definitely won't work - he'll think you're joining in his "shouting" :laugh:

Spray bottle may work and isn't as mean as it may sound, but first stop would be put him on a leash and get him to sit, lie down, do other things while the exciting things are happening - distract him and at the same time teaching him that doing something OTHER than barking will get him more attention.

When you cannot supervise you will need to confine him (crate inside) while the kids play, otherwise he will get so much self-rewarding from barking (weird yes, but the excitement level is a reward) that he will never learn.

Teaching him to bark on command may also work - because you are then teaching him to STOP barking on command.

Did the breeder have children? Have you discussed this with them?

Yes I'd be getting out in the yard and doing some on lead training with him while the kids are playing to essentially desensitise him too the excitement and get him out of the habit. Keep him inside and send the kids out to play, then put him on his lead and lead him in to the yard and do on lead activities to hold his attention(sitting, heeling, etc, etc) just in a little area as far as possible from the kids(if he's really excited the first day might simply be to stay near the back door and ask him to sit a few times). Each day repeat gradually getting closer and over time once he is remaining calm on lead progress to asking tasks of him off lead. If he becomes worked up you've gone too fast so pull back and work at the last level of success before moving forwards again. Take him back inside on the leash once you are done so he doesn't get an opportunity to bark which will undo your good work(cos it's fun!).

Does he understand exactly that you want him to stop ? No use shouting if he doesn't know why you are doing it.

I use the word Quiet & clap my hands to get attention. Maybe try getting a sports whistle & blowing it to get his attention when he barks & then say the word you intend to use that means shut up now. He may not connect that your noise means his has to stop.

In certain situations it is so hard to get them to stop. Does he bark at any other time ? Maybe use that time with only the 2 of you there to teach him exactly what it is you want him to do.

Hi,

The only negative so far has been his barking. i have always owned Staffs and they have all been mostly very quiet, apart from the usual Staffy talking.

Is there something else I should be doing? he is a beautiful boy but this unwanted barking must stop.

sorry for the long post and any hell/advice appreciated

Sounds like he is excited and barking is his way of letting everyone know..... 'Hey life is soooooo good! We are having so much Woof Woof fun....

Re-arrange that behaviour. He is not to be off lead or following the boys around until he can be quiet.

Edited by VizslaMomma