Mini Schnauzer

I'm about to start handling a mini schnauzer! help!!! Is there anything special I need to know? I don't have to do any of the grooming, I'm just taking him in the ring. I know that he will have to go on a table, any hints about that would be great! But otherwise anything I need to think about, know about???!!

He will be in baby puppy, I think probably must be 4 months old. I haven't spent time with him yet, but will be able to do so. I know his owner well and I have gone through with him some basic training tips so the dog is used to having his feet moved if needs be and working on a show lead. But it's more that I haven't dealt with dogs being on tables (that's one of the bits I'm most worried about!), I usually deal with BC's and collie roughs!

table or floor makes no difference in stacking .

The owner should be grooming weekly on the table given the work a Mini requires so the pup should be comfy table wise already .

Given its a baby you treat it like any other breed ,the man thing to practice is having its tail touched all the other things would be the same as any other puppy & using its ears in the ring for expression

A tip I was given is that if the dog is not standing well on the table, you set them up at the back of the table instead of the front it helps prevent them from backing away....if they do there is no table behind them and so they learn to stand correctly. As my dogs are not table dogs I am not able to vouch for this method.

Well, we survived!!!

He was a little superstar! And he's just gorgeous!! He moved really nicely, stood still for a good 30 seconds on the table (hehehe!) and even did a nice little free stack. There's still a bit to be done with his grooming but his owner is on top of sorting that out. I think I'm going to enjoy working with this little boy!!!

Although I did spend a lot of last night watching videos online of mini schnauzers at dog shows!!

Well, we survived!!!

He was a little superstar! And he's just gorgeous!! He moved really nicely, stood still for a good 30 seconds on the table (hehehe!) and even did a nice little free stack. There's still a bit to be done with his grooming but his owner is on top of sorting that out. I think I'm going to enjoy working with this little boy!!!

Although I did spend a lot of last night watching videos online of mini schnauzers at dog shows!!

Any chance of a photo, please?

Well Done both of you as well

:thumbsup:

I don't have any good pics from when I had him in the ring, but we were playing and practicing afterwards so these 2 photos are from then (thus why his grooming doesn't look so flash!). The work is still going with getting his grooming right, and there were some lovely people who helped his owner with some tips on what to do and how to do it and also helped us get his eyebrows looking a bit better before we went in the ring. It's so nice when people are nice to you and help you out especially when you are totally new to it all (well I'm totally new to group 6 and his owner is totally new to showing!!).

Anyway this is one of the better pic of him stacked on the table...

post-34437-0-78057500-1404640185_thumb.jpg

And this is just cos he's sooooo cute!!!!

post-34437-0-12469000-1404640281_thumb.jpg

With grooming, if his owner isn't up to it the groomer that I goes to does lots of schnauzers for show (all the varieties ), hand strips them at really good prices. She's won a fair few grooming comps with my cousins standard and even handles some dogs. PM me if you want her details.

I don't have any good pics from when I had him in the ring, but we were playing and practicing afterwards so these 2 photos are from then (thus why his grooming doesn't look so flash!). The work is still going with getting his grooming right, and there were some lovely people who helped his owner with some tips on what to do and how to do it and also helped us get his eyebrows looking a bit better before we went in the ring. It's so nice when people are nice to you and help you out especially when you are totally new to it all (well I'm totally new to group 6 and his owner is totally new to showing!!).

Anyway this is one of the better pic of him stacked on the table...

post-34437-0-78057500-1404640185_thumb.jpg

And this is just cos he's sooooo cute!!!!

post-34437-0-12469000-1404640281_thumb.jpg

Aw. the wee man!!! Yep, he's a cutie.

You need to find someone close to where you live to help you. Not easy to groom a miniature schnauzer for show. I suggest you go to the schnauzer specialities and you will get plenty of help there. We all had to start this way. Watch, listen and learn from the experienced! There is plenty of information on grooming and showing on the internet.

I don't do any of the grooming (thank goodness!!!!), his owner is dealing with all of that. He is a groomer and is getting help from a few different avenues to fine tune the "show grooming". We know he's not up to scratch with the grooming yet, but we want to get him out and about so he can learn to love showing - which I think he is going to!!! I think he's a bit of a natural!

I don't do any of the grooming (thank goodness!!!!), his owner is dealing with all of that. He is a groomer and is getting help from a few different avenues to fine tune the "show grooming". We know he's not up to scratch with the grooming yet, but we want to get him out and about so he can learn to love showing - which I think he is going to!!! I think he's a bit of a natural!

Lovely boy! Enjoy the shows. We have one again soon for the Vizsla.

Hoping he does not want to kiss another judge.

:rofl:

A tip I was given is that if the dog is not standing well on the table, you set them up at the back of the table instead of the front it helps prevent them from backing away....if they do there is no table behind them and so they learn to stand correctly. As my dogs are not table dogs I am not able to vouch for this method.

That is okay for initial training, but in the ring they need to be near the front of the table so that the judge can go over them without breaking his/her back. smile.gif

If they had chosen a Standard or Giant you wouldn't have the table problem!! laugh.gif