As A Breeder How Would You Feel?

miss2

Hi Everyone.

A question I am a bit stuck on....

We have decided to get a new puppy. Have done a lot of research and have decided that there are 3 breeders that we like and would be honoured to have one of their pups.

I have been in contact with one breeder and we are on the waiting list. Because we have 2 other breeders that we also like is it ok for us to contact the other 2 breeders and chat to them about their pups and maybe go on a waiting list for them as well? We are being very specific about the colour and coat of the pup we want so there is always a chance that we might not get one from the next litter. I would inform all breeders that we are on other lists of course.

I guess I don’t want to offend anyone or step on anyone’s toes.

Was wondering what you as a breeder would feel / think if someone contacted you with a similar situation?

Thank you

:)

I'm not a breeder but I think if you are up front and honest with them it would be okay to let them know - most of the breeders of the same breed seem to know each other anyway, so they'd probably find out.

I would absolutely contact the other breeders to discuss their dogs, breeding and forthcoming litters. This will help you build knowledge and decide which breeder you will have the best match with.

As far as being on more than one waiting list, I am not sure on this, some require deposits anyway. Hopefully others will have more comments on this.

I know from personal experience with my breed that coat colour is the last consideration from the breeders point of view. Some breeders will choose the puppy that best suits the new family based on temperament and personality, so again colour does not usually come into the equation.

I really wanted a black and white husky with blue eyes. I got a wolf grey with brown eyes and I couldn't be happier, sometimes being flexible has great rewards. :)

I would love to know what breed you are considering?

I used to breed cats and had no issues with people enquiring with other breeders. We generally all know each other anyway so always knew. Just let the breeder know that you will be putting your name down with several. I am sure they will be fine about it.

Yes, ofcourse. I find that this is what most people do regardless of whether they tell you or not! In fact I encourage people to ask around because then they have a better "picture" of what you are offering them. If they go elsewhere, that's their decision.

You shouldn't choosing a dog based on colour so if the breeders you are putting your name down with don't tell you they will be matching you to the pup by temperament not just by the colour of it's hair - run away!

As a breeder we have no issues PROVIDING you don't string each along .

We recommend other breeders to people who phone all isay is if you do get a pup from one then make sure you tell the others ,many don't until the breeder phones to confirm a pup is available ,extremely frustrating when you have worked in with people who want something very specific .

The breeders have most likley already told you the more specific you are the longer you may wait ,i will say generally the people on our lists who are not open minded to to go down the list as from our experience the people where harder to please with there specific wants & if the pup didn't suit we wouldn't sell anyway

Not a problem & I don't think you need to tell them all you are on anothers list but you do need to tell them if you get a puppy & not mess them about once they offer you a puppy.

I also can't see any problem wanting a specific colour either it doesn't mean the breeder won't match pup to your lifestyle or suitability at all.

As a breeder I ask for black or chocolate when I get a new breeding puppy. I wouldn't be interested in breeding or owning blue or silvers if I was offered the most amazing puppy.

The other thing is that if you stick with one breeder unless you are after a show or breed dog & want that line you may be waiting years if they don't get the sex or colour you want.

Thanks so much for your input everyone.

I might note they only reason why we are wanting a certain colour is because our current dog has very minimal pigment or markings on his face and he gets sunburnt easily so I would really like to avoid that if possible.

The 3 breeders that we like all have links to each other’s websites on their own websites and they seem to share blood lines. Also, all their dogs have the same ‘ look’. Which is what I like a lot.

After being on the sidelines and helping a friend show for a while I have decided I would like to show so we are looking for a pup on mains for this reason.

We are defiantly happy to have a pup matched to suit us, I wouldn’t expect anything less and would value the breeders opinion on what they think would be suitable for us. We are open minded and if the breeder said to us that they had a pup that didn’t have the colouring we wanted but suited us in every other way there is no way we would discount that and defiantly take it on board.

As I said I just didn't want to annoy anyone or waste anyone’s time which is why I thought I would let them know that I am talking to others.

Thanks again everyone.

Super excited to add to our family 

Edited by miss2

When I was looking for a whippet puppy I contacted quite a few breeders to ask if I could look at their dogs. I made it clear I was wanting to get an idea of the type I liked. Some breeders were fantastic, extremely helpful and welcoming, others were really rude and one in particular, to this day gives me dirty looks when he sees me because I didn't buy a puppy off him. It was 15 years ago that I was looking, the puppy I got was Penny who is now a very old girl so some breeders certainly hold a grudge. :laugh: I think you could get mixed reactions as I did but it's your right to do your research and buy the puppy YOU like.

As a breeder myself (only 2 litters) I was happy for people to come and look at my puppies. I didn't mind if they didn't buy one, actually I was glad that they were interested enough to make sure they found the puppy they wanted. One lady in particular comes to mind. She came out here and spent a couple of hours sitting out on the grass playing with the puppies. She went away to think about it and ended up not buying one of mine. The puppy she got in the end was a completely different type to my pups, he was jet black and from a racing line, so I think she did the right thing. She comes to our racing club now and I'm certainly on friendly terms with her.

Edited by Kirislin

You shouldn't choosing a dog based on colour so if the breeders you are putting your name down with don't tell you they will be matching you to the pup by temperament not just by the colour of it's hair - run away!

As long as you are prepared to wait for the right dog for you I do not think there is anything wrong with wanting a dog of a particular colour. If I was to have another Aussie I would like a blue mere. If there wasn't a suitable blue merle in a litter I would wait.

As long as you are prepared to wait for the right dog for you I do not think there is anything wrong with wanting a dog of a particular colour. If I was to have another Aussie I would like a blue mere. If there wasn't a suitable blue merle in a litter I would wait.

Agreed, Novas breeder asked if I had any preferences for sex, colour and tail.

The puppies were still picked from temperament, but preference was taken in too.

I just got extremely lucky that most of the litter were blue boys laugh.gif

Edited by LisaCC