Brisbane Winter Nights

My dogs alternate in and out with no protests. They are out while I am at work and as they can't read my roster they never know when it is going to happen! :laugh:

Besides the kennel I do have tramp beds under cover but to make it a bit more sheltered I made 3 sided, rooved enclosures around them out of particle board. Very easy and cheap to do. No fronts. Just screwed together with right angle thingy's with the holes in them already. Being open fronted and mine are quite tall your fellow may be happy with something like that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the heat discs online, they were much cheaper, I have 3 in a big igloo kennel fro 2 dogs.

I aslo wrap them in a pillowcase as they scrape the doona around and the little covers they come in can come off, and they are darn hot.

For all those of you that give your dogs blankets...how??? I wish I could give mine blankets. I've tried, they shred them to pieces then drag what's left of them through poo, mud, water. All this in one night. I finally gave up. There's only so many blankets in the world :(

People might think it's not that cold in Sydney but it is in my area - freezing and we sometimes even have frosts.

My neighbour's dog lived it's life outside with none of life's comforts and i'll never forget all his pain with arthritis in the last few years of his life. He was a mastiff cross and had to be put to sleep because he was crippled by 9 years of age.

For a dog with a short coat it is very cold so I would definitely bring him inside. Whilst he might be restless at first, this is due to a change in routine most likely - I rescue dogs and they all take a week or so to adjust. Many have never been inside a house before.

Beds should be raised off tiled or concrete floors and there are the microwavable heatpacks, fleecy blankets and a coat probably wouldn't go astray.

Just because he's not complaining doesn't mean he isn't cold, he must be at this time of year.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

My dogs sleep outside all year round and I know they're toasty warm during winter. They sleep in the garage in a wooden box I had my dad make. It has nice high sides, a Snooza D1000 (small) as a mattress and about 4 fleecy/fluffy blankets in it.

Both build circle nests in separate corners of the box and nestle down deep within the blankets and when I give them their breakfast, their coats are radiating such heat, I swear I'll get burnt!!

On extra cold nights I'll give them their Snuggle Safe heat pad and coats, but most nights they just wear their coats and snuggle into the blankets.

Edit: Our cat sleeps in the laundry in a round bed with a fluffy blanket and she loves it there too. Nice and warm!!

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

Would a crate inside work?

My growing pup is not to be trusted with chewing indoors, so sleeps in there happily when brought inside.

You could just put his existing bedding into the crate.

Plenty on internet about "crate training", but I just threw food in there, comfy existing bedding and the dog gets used to it quickly.

Some might have a minor whine for a couple of days, but soon realise it's a comfy place.

XXL or XL are about $100 online.

Another expense, but worth much less than chewing damage IMO.

Our dog sleeps outdoors (mostly) on coast South of Sydney, but poodles have a little more coat than your guy, even mine's coat is short atm.

He's only brought in when possums outside (barking).

All our dogs are inside at night & even the boarding kennel dogs are shut in .

I now alot of people don't want there dogs to sleep inside for what ever reason but it seems to become an issue when there elderly ,not been trained to be clean overnight & they find it too cold for outside but its an inconvenience for owners .

If you don't want the dog inside at night then looking at good options for the night is a must .

As for blanket killers never ever had a dog do that ,my gundogs even have feathers pillows they like there night time comfort

Guest donatella

Brisbane is a big place. Out west it's flipping freezing. Can he have the garage at least?

• 3 weeks later...

Have only just thought to give a quick update now 

I have had Whiskey inside, in the rumpus room, since I last wrote, and it’s not going too bad at all.

He has woken me up a few times whinging outside my bedroom door, I ignore him for a bit, and half the times he just goes back to bed, if he carried on I figure he must be busting so I get up and let him out to wee then he goes straight back to bed.

Oh and my husband caught him stretched out on our couch one morning …. Cheeky boy ….. lucky he had a bath the day before! But aside from that he has been great at just staying on his bed all night.

When we stayed the weekend at friends a couple of weeks ago, my mum was looking after Whiskey, and she put him outside in his coat to sleep, and he was fine with that too, no whining and didn’t want to get up in the morning.

So all seems well, he doesn’t seem to mind if he is inside or out, and now I don’t feel guilty about him maybe being cold while its still winter.

post-52273-0-73936500-1406095106_thumb.jpg

what a pretty boy! glad you got it sussed out.

Brisbane is pretty damn cold at the moment! I have staffies with pretty thin coats, and my girl especially feels the cold. They sleep in the bed with us inside, and if we are away we block off the kitchen and pile blankets in there for them to burrow in. They also wear fleecy coats from about 6pm onwards.

Luckily they haven't destroyed any blankets, although they are still definitely in the chewing age bracket. Beds on the other hand... lets just say i don't bother buying $80 city farmer ones anymore. the $5 jobs from kmart will have to do until they grow out of destructo mode :p

I use the kmart beds inside also, I sew 4 of them together so they are two thick and two wide and with a couple of blankets on top its super big and comfy (I have even fallen asleep on there with whiskey a few times) and at that price when they get too flat or slobbery I just throw them away and buy some more!

I would love to have Whiskey in the bed with me, but aside from the fact my husband and cats wouldn't be happy about it at all, he is so big and pushy that we would need a California king bed if we were going to have any hope of all fitting on there!

I love your dog hoodies .... co cute! :) I tried to find one for whiskey but none would fit his big chest so had to settle for a weatherbeeta blanket coat, which we call his dressing gown hehe

Have only just thought to give a quick update now 

I have had Whiskey inside, in the rumpus room, since I last wrote, and it’s not going too bad at all.

He has woken me up a few times whinging outside my bedroom door, I ignore him for a bit, and half the times he just goes back to bed, if he carried on I figure he must be busting so I get up and let him out to wee then he goes straight back to bed.

Oh and my husband caught him stretched out on our couch one morning …. Cheeky boy ….. lucky he had a bath the day before! But aside from that he has been great at just staying on his bed all night.

When we stayed the weekend at friends a couple of weeks ago, my mum was looking after Whiskey, and she put him outside in his coat to sleep, and he was fine with that too, no whining and didn’t want to get up in the morning.

So all seems well, he doesn’t seem to mind if he is inside or out, and now I don’t feel guilty about him maybe being cold while its still winter.

post-52273-0-73936500-1406095106_thumb.jpg

oh he is very handsome!

Its great that he is adjusting to sleeping inside :thumbsup:

For outside sleeping an old armchair could be a good (although daggy) solution to the problem.

I use the kmart beds inside also, I sew 4 of them together so they are two thick and two wide and with a couple of blankets on top its super big and comfy (I have even fallen asleep on there with whiskey a few times) and at that price when they get too flat or slobbery I just throw them away and buy some more!

I would love to have Whiskey in the bed with me, but aside from the fact my husband and cats wouldn't be happy about it at all, he is so big and pushy that we would need a California king bed if we were going to have any hope of all fitting on there!

I love your dog hoodies .... co cute! :) I tried to find one for whiskey but none would fit his big chest so had to settle for a weatherbeeta blanket coat, which we call his dressing gown hehe

Yeah our two were never supposed to sleep in the bed either... I was away for a couple of days pet sitting and I came back to find that the OH had let them in... and that was the end of that! We really need a king bed lol... it's not too bad in winter but two hot blooded staffies in the bed in summer isn't much fun!

I just got some new coats from The Wolf's Den on suggestion from a few people in the staffy thread ... they are hand made and you send your measurements in when you place the order so they will fit. I also have quite a bit of trouble finding coats big enough around the chest and neck, that don't drag on the ground from being too long :laugh: I find hoodies or coats with the zip along the back like the wolf den ones are the only ones that really stay on them as well :)

We are in Brissie too. My sbt thinks she needs a dog coat but as you can see she really doesn't. Like her mother she just hates missing out!

These beds are still their faves as they can burrow in and they can also be refilled. It's quite big (150cm diam) and cost me $6 to make a couple of years back - 2 x $3 kid blankets from Kmart at the end of winter and stuffed with the contents of murdered pillows and doonas (I chop the chewed doonas into squares). If you own a pair of scissors you can make one! They just wash in the washing machine.

post-33739-0-46679900-1406121203_thumb.jpg