Double The Trouble

Serket

Since the GR thread seems long dead :( I'm going to put my new puppy intro in here because she's too cute not to share :p I'd also welcome some advice on some minor issues mentioned below (getting pup to cope being left alone, and older dog resource guarding food)

Introducing my new GR puppy Zahra, she's 8 weeks old and came home on Tuesday. We'd been waiting for a puppy from my other dog Gypsy's breeder since last year, but it wasn't meant to be - there were only 2 puppies in that litter and both boys that she decided to keep. She very kindly put us onto another breeder with puppies due and we were lucky enough to get one from that litter.

Hopefully the photos work now

dytunape.jpg

7upytu2u.jpg

tury7are.jpg

So far, mostly so good with the two of them getting along. Gypsy was somewhat confused at first about how on earth to play with something so small, but she's working it out. They've played a bit of carefully supervised tug of war (I usually grab an octopus leg too so it's gentle enough for the puppy), and Gypsy brings Zahra toys to get her to play....unfortunately she also does this when Zahra is asleep and then drops them on her head when she doesn't respond. Gypsy has been good at sharing her toys, food is a different issue and they are of course separated at meal times. Zahra escaped her playpen the first night and ran for Gypsy's dinner and got snapped at, which was fair enough and she's gotten the message that not all food belongs to her (no more puppy free for all meals).. Now Gypsy needs to understand the same.

Meal time is sorted now that the inside puppy pen is puppy proofed. Gypsy is fed first, and although she's not getting breakfast and lunch like Zahra, I've been giving her a biscuit at those times so she doesn't get her nose out of joint about puppy getting food. She's a fairly food focused dog, which is great for training, but less great when she now has to "share" in that not all the food she sees will go to her.

Gypsy is not keen on Zahra getting treats when she isn't, and although I can put Gypsy away in the puppy pen while we do training with Zahra I'd rather find a method to have them both out. So far I've put her away but also tried rewarding Gypsy for sit/drop stays while we've been teaching Zahra her name (because Gypsy thinks all names belong to her), and mostly she's been fine, but I did get a curled lip and a growl last night when she didn't think she was getting enough treats compared to Zahra. She was told off and stopped immediately. She couldn't care less about the attention being on Zahra, it's definitely only the food.

Aside from that, Zahra is mostly toilet trained already thanks to her breeder, and takes herself out or stands by the door and waits if it isn't open :thumbsup: , and she also sleeps happily in her crate at night with no fussing. On the down side, she can't stand to be left alone in her crate or her puppy pen even for a few minutes when she's awake and screams and barks like you wouldn't believe. It's exhausting and I feel for my poor neighbours but once she starts she takes a long time to stop so it's a long wait for a pause to go back to let her out and not reward the bad behaviour :( Hopefully she will work it out soon. With Gypsy I gradually built up the time I left her at home and always left her with a treat of some kind, she never carried on at all, neighbours didn't even know I had a puppy until they saw her months later, and these days she basically can't wait for me to leave so she can eat and then sleep all day. I'm getting the feeling that Zahra won't be anywhere near as easy. Gypsy also had more free range as a puppy when I was out, this time because there are two it's a bit more confined.

Gypsy was so quiet as a puppy I was worried she didn't know how to bark! Zahra on the other hand barks when she's playing by herself at her toys, barks at us and Gypsy if we don't play (and gets ignored until she's quiet), and even barks at her food. The first few meals she'd eat a few bites, then bark at her bowl for a bit, and then eat a few more bites, and then whimper at it. Now she's eating it normally though, but her general tendency is clearly to make noise!

They'll be separated during the day when we are at work, Zahra has a puppy pen with shade, grass/decking, water, food, toys, a bed, etc. We're booked in for puppy school with the trainer we went to with Gypsy and she starts there this weekend.

I've been reading back through old threads on having two dogs together etc, but if anyone has any particular tips or advice for ensuring they continue to get along I'd appreciate it.

Sorry this is so long :o new puppies are a bit overwhelming no matter how well you think you've prepared, and the temperament was not quite what I was expecting (obviously got lucky last time) so more dramas with noise than I'd bargained for. She's an uppity little brat for an 8 week old puppy :eek:

Edited by Serket

I can't see the pictures! crying.gif Please fix so we can all see the uber cuteness!

Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. thumbsup1.gif

With the training, since sessions are probably only a few minutes at a time right now, probably the sit stay or down stay for reward for Gypsy is exactly the right idea. When you start getting to 15 - 20 minute sessions a little later on, any chance you can give Gypsy a nice meaty bone to chomp, or a deer antler or something like that, while you have your little training sessions with the new baby?

... Gypsy brings Zahra toys to get her to play....unfortunately she also does this when Zahra is asleep and then drops them on her head when she doesn't respond.

^ I can just see that happening!rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gif

Rascally is fine just without the crazy barking and screaming, I swear this one only has lungs inside, no other organs. Gypsy was fairly evil as a puppy too, but she was quiet about it. She ate AA batteries, my glasses (the actual lenses, sparkly poo after that) and large river stones from the garden. So many panicked vet visits but no problems somehow. And she never ever cried

Having said that, she was much calmer today, and didn't carry on at all when I put her in her crate to nap at lunch time (going with the sleepy puppy will make less noise strategy - get it used to being confined it when it's sleepy so it won't carry on so much when it's awake and in its pen while we start to go back to work next week. I was going to get my sister to puppy sit during the day for a few weeks, but I don't think she can cope with actively supervising both dogs :-( and I don't think I can trust her to leave the puppy in its pen either. It's cruel, you see.

Anyway, Zahra is starting to work out that unless she's quiet and sitting then the crate door won't get opened, so that's progress. Of course, just as I was writing that before she went absolutely mental out in the yard trying to jump over the tunnel (good luck when she can barely make it up a single brick into the house :laugh: ) and barking at and zooming around Gypsy...who them zooms in circles around her and I try to make sure it doesn't get too crazy and the little one doesn't get trampled. If Gypsy gets over excited then she won't leave Zahra alone and keeps harassing her with toys (and normally people worry about the puppy harassing the adult dog...)

And my parents wonder why I'm so cruel as to plan to put Zahra in a pen during the day when we aren't home....!

More photos...

ge7ahu7e.jpg

ymuhu3ed.jpg

8arazeza.jpg

Edited by Serket

So innocent! Ha!

When you put her in the crate give her a stuffed kong - start with food that is easy to get out and make it progressively harder. If she barks in the crate throw a cover over it. When she is quiet take the cover off. Wait a few minutes. If she barks the cover goes back on but if she is quiet drop a treat through the top. Using the cover helps to prevent a behaviour chain developing ie bark - quiet - treat - bark - quiet - treat etc.

TSD - She can't work the kong out yet....that's my standard crate/pen nom noms but no, of course it doesn't work with this one (yet). She tried to work it out for a while and then it got buried under the blanket in there that she decided to drag around and then it was forgotten while she carried on yesterday.

Obviously it was a bit too tricky (peanut butter and kibble) and GRs don't seem to be big fans of chewing on rubber. Gypsy only eats kongs that can be licked clean or licked and them dropped to make the insides fall out. It might just be her though. Will try again tomorrow and try the blanket on top idea too, thanks :thumbsup: It won't work for the pen but if we can get the idea in the crate it will hopefully generalise. She is really good at night and when she's sleepy, just not when she's all revved up. It's only day 3 though, can't expect too much.

RuralPug - that's my general thought with training, glad you thought the same thing. I will have to sort my timing and portions out though or my 25kg GR will suddenly balloon from all the extra treats and bones keeping her distracted

Thanks for all the compliments, she is very pretty :) . We're making progress with the evil this morning, short stints in her pen with a kong and one of those new kong 3 pronged thingys with some peanut butter smeared in it. Barking and crying much reduced and is more an afterthought (bark bark, oh I need to wee, wee...and back to the kong :rofl: ) She's special.

She was good in her crate last night and she will actually let us sleep until about 8, unlike Gypsy with 5am starts for a good 6 months (I almost died...)

She was good in her crate last night and she will actually let us sleep until about 8, unlike Gypsy with 5am starts for a good 6 months (I almost died...)

LOL!!!! Horrible Herbert's litter brother would call the world at about 04:00am. They were born in Summer so not too bad. Luckily my evil One does an early yawn then back to sleep. He can gauge temperatures well.

:thumbsup:

What a beautiful pup serket :)

Love the look of that big octopus, may I ask where you got it? I can see my lab would love to join and play with that!

Originally a lovely DOLer saw them at a dog show and bought and sent one to me years ago when Gypsy was a pup, but after it suffered a brutal death it was replaced on eBay. There's normally a seller in the UK, it's not too expensive to do it that way and Gypsy loves it and it's proved popular with the little one too, unfortunately I haven't found them locally again.

They come in different sizes so be careful what you order, the big one has proved more popular here than the smaller one did. It's fantastic because the head of it quacks and then every second tentacle has a normal squeaker at the bottom of it, and the tentacles have plastic in them so they crackle - lots of variety :thumbsup:

Here is a link to it on eBay (this is the small one though)

Ebay link