Which Harness

Boxer05

Hey everyone. I know this has most probably been covered before but I have done a search without much luck.

I have always used collars with my Boxer and Jack Russell but wanted to move to a harness. I was wondering what other DOLers are using? Was hoping to get one or walks which possibly doubles for use as a restraint in the car.

Edited by Boxer05

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I changed all my westies over to harnesses about 12 months ago after Mac's laryngeal paralysis. I've become suspicious (but with no firm evidence) that collars might damage delicate laryngeal structures so I prefer to be safe and not use collars anymore.

After two false starts with other harnesses, by far and away the best harnesses I found were the Ezy Dog Quick- fit. They are adjustable across the chest as well as around the girth which was really helpful for chunky Westie bodies. With other harnesses which were only adjustable around the girth I found if they fitted around the girth and down his back they were too small across his manly chest! And vice versa. They aren't cheap but they fit well, don't rub, go through the washing machine well, seem very durable are easy to get on and off and yes they look really good too. embarrass.gif

Link here

Hope that helps.smile.gif

There are a couple of articles out there about selecting a proper harness for walking that doesn't impede movement. Here is a link to a blog post about selecting a harness:

http://www.pawsitive...y-you-are-doing

The ones with the chest straps can cause problems so things like the comfortflex one can be problematic as they impede momvement. Suggestions were something like the Hurtta y-front or the Walkeeez. I have recently purchased a black-dog y-front harness for tracking but would also be suitable for a walking harness which doesn't impede movement.

Edited by ness

Try an Ezydog harness on before you buy them. I found it they don't suit the body shape of my Aussie, so we've switched to a Comfort Flex.

I also have a basic Y front harness and a Julius K9 IDC harness.

Unfortunately I have not found one Y front harness that fits my dogs body shape properly. The one I have is the closest, but still not right.

I like the IDC the best, the patches and handle come in handy and it fits perfectly.

I have ezydogs and puppias.

My past dog i had the ezydog chestplate variety. Lasted his entire life and I still use if occasionally for my dogs now.

My current dogs have the quickfit.

They fit perfectly on 2 of my dogs, but the other is slightly in between sizes so he wears the smaller size but with the chest adjusted a bit too far for my liking.

If he were a big dog i wouldn't use it, but it seems strong anyways. And with his it rubbed behind his elbow and left a scab. But i think that may have been because i left it on while he ran? But now i just take it off for that. The other two had no rubbing issues.

The other ones i like are the puppia harnesses :)

They're pretty, and have held up well to 5 years of abuse so far.

Definitely ok for the jack russell, but they dont make large ones, so if you want matching ones, puppia will have to miss out :)

I have one of these for my guy, as it is the ONLY one I could get that he couldn't slip out of in the car Webmaster by Ruff Wear but I walk him in a Freedom No Pull fully adjustable, very comfortable (padded) & you can either attach your lead at the front or the back or both for extra control. My girl has a Comfortflex, which she readily sticks her head in. It fits her well, but the chest strap isn't adjustable.

If my experience is anything to go by, I think that's right- different sizes and styles of harnesses seem to suit different dogs - which is why I like them to be fairly adjustable. And it's a good idea to try them on at Petstock or similar .smile.gif

I use them on two of my dogs. Puppia on the SBT and Rogz on the shar pei. I am another who recommends you go to an outlet that sells a range of brands so you can try them on your dog so you get the right fit. You want the harness to be comfortable as well as secure. Even though my dogs are similarly sized they are not the same shape so even adjusting the straps they can't wear each other's harnesses comfortably.

I have one of these for my guy, as it is the ONLY one I could get that he couldn't slip out of in the car Webmaster by Ruff Wear but I walk him in a Freedom No Pull fully adjustable, very comfortable (padded) & you can either attach your lead at the front or the back or both for extra control. My girl has a Comfortflex, which she readily sticks her head in. It fits her well, but the chest strap isn't adjustable.

What do you think of the Freedom No Pull, Sheena? Was your dog very strong at pulling on lead or only moderately annoying? :)

I have always used collars with my Boxer and Jack Russell but wanted to move to a harness.

What are you hoping to achieve with a harness out of interest?

Edited by Amax-1

I have always used collars with my Boxer and Jack Russell but wanted to move to a harness.

I'm not really trying to achieve anything in regards to walking, both walk ok on a lead. They seem to look more comfortable and are easier to connect to a car restraint.

All the suggestions have been great. Now to pick one.

I'm not really trying to achieve anything in regards to walking, both walk ok on a lead. They seem to look more comfortable and are easier to connect to a car restraint.

All the suggestions have been great. Now to pick one.

Ok, thanks :)