Which Harness

Boxer05

Hmn... Yonjuro thanks - I've gone and had another look at the Julius K9 and I agree they look terrific. Really solid. When you say you think they work like a thunder shirt, do you mean the cover across the back? That level of support would be very good for Mac.

And as per usual, Mac's chest measurement is a mini-mini and in the middle of the range and his weight is above the top of the range for the mini-mini - although not a lot - so I think I'd still go for the mini-mini. Typical trying to fit a chunky Westie body!

And one last question - how far down the back does the harness go? I'm trying to get one that will cradle the end of his back as much as possible without going to a true disability harness (which he doesn't need at this stage).

Thoughts? TIA.smile.gif

Regarding the similarity to a thundershirt it really is only a theory based on the fact that will hold your dog a little more snugly and securely than the thin strap type harnesses. I only thought of it when my trainer suggested a harness may make my boy feel more secure in the car - sadly he still vocalises a lot when we go out in the car. It will fit over a thunder shirt without a problem though.

They do have a lot of flexibility with size adjustments so you should be okay with what you have said.

As far as how far back they go you can see from my pic that it is not too far back, but it might be different on the smaller ones - I have attached a couple of the harnesses on smaller dogs that I found on google - sorry couldn't find a westie in my short search.

post-49154-0-85948500-1406214340_thumb.jpeg

post-49154-0-60892400-1406214364_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update for those that are interested. Our EzyDog Convert harnesses arrived yesterday. They are fantastic quality and fit really well. There was plenty of adjustable which made is easy to get a nice fit. Two happy dogs and a very impressed customer.

Edited by Boxer05

Just measured Jester up for a new harness as his EzyDog one just isn't cutting the mustard. Had a nasty incident the other day with it and I can confirm it is pretty easy for dogs to get out of if they so choose. I was thinking of going the Ruffwear Headmaster but I do also like the idea of the Julius K9... decisions, decisions.

Anyway does 32" or 81.5cm sound right for a Samoyed chest girth? Just wanted to check first. I know they are deep chested... it just shocked me for the K9 harness he would only be a size 1 whereas the Ruffwear he is classed as a L/XL.

Maybe someone with a large breed dog could help out :)

Just measured Jester up for a new harness as his EzyDog one just isn't cutting the mustard. Had a nasty incident the other day with it and I can confirm it is pretty easy for dogs to get out of if they so choose. I was thinking of going the Ruffwear Headmaster but I do also like the idea of the Julius K9... decisions, decisions.

Anyway does 32" or 81.5cm sound right for a Samoyed chest girth? Just wanted to check first. I know they are deep chested... it just shocked me for the K9 harness he would only be a size 1 whereas the Ruffwear he is classed as a L/XL.

Maybe someone with a large breed dog could help out :)

My Aussie is in a K9 size 2, even though the weight would put him as a size 1. Go off his chest measurement :)

Samoyeds being bigger I would definitely be going a size 2.

Edited by LisaCC

Thanks Lisa :) I think I will attempt to measure him again just to double check. He is 25.something kg at present. He is 16 months old so he shouldn't gain much if any girth from now on I would have thought. But there is SO MUCH FLUFF which makes it difficult to get an accurate gauge!

BTW, I just saw your testimonial pop up on the Dogify website. I thought "I swear I know that pic" and then voila, there you are on this very thread! :)

Thanks Lisa :) I think I will attempt to measure him again just to double check. He is 25.something kg at present. He is 16 months old so he shouldn't gain much if any girth from now on I would have thought. But there is SO MUCH FLUFF which makes it difficult to get an accurate gauge!

BTW, I just saw your testimonial pop up on the Dogify website. I thought "I swear I know that pic" and then voila, there you are on this very thread! :)

laugh.gif In that picture he was only 9 months I think and only around 21 kgs, so he's filled out a lot more since if that gives you an idea on fit smile.gif

We could have gotten a size 1, but the girth would of been right on the largest size and as I'm not sure how much more filling out he has to do we took the bigger option and as I wrote it fitted perfectly on the smallest adjustment so plenty of room to fit into.

Edited by LisaCC

Well Lisa, I'll be honest. I wasn't looking at him for...you know... girth :eek::rofl: All I saw was one hell of a handsome Aussie :)

Cheers for the info, it's certainly better to find out from people who have the product and road tested it.

I agree Julius size 2 should be fine, my boy is around 25kg and there is heaps of room for growth and even some room to reduce size.

Thanks so much for this. I am happy to go ahead and purchase now :)

Well Lisa, I'll be honest. I wasn't looking at him for...you know... girth :eek::rofl: All I saw was one hell of a handsome Aussie :)

Cheers for the info, it's certainly better to find out from people who have the product and road tested it.

I agree Julius size 2 should be fine, my boy is around 25kg and there is heaps of room for growth and even some room to reduce size.

Thanks so much for this. I am happy to go ahead and purchase now :)

Cool, I am sure you will like it, and hope to see pics with it on.

Just some feedback on the Ezydog Convert. It is a great fit on my Boxer and works well. On the other hand it is no good at all on my JRT. She pulls her short legs back through the chest strap, wiggles and escapes at will. Even with the strap adjusted up. Disappointing but back to the drawing board there.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was hoping those with the Julius K9 IDC could give me some input on the sizing.

My dog is a 9 month old GSD, 77cm around the chest and 26kg...

Sizing says:

Size 1

Girth: 26 - 33.5" (66-85 cm)

For dogs: 51 - 66 lbs. (23-30 kg)

Reflective strip on chest belt

Handle on back

Size 2

Girth: 28 - 34" (71-86 cm)

For dogs: 62 - 88 lbs. (28-40 kg)

Handle on back

So she could technically fit into either when it comes to the chest measurement. I'm not sure if I should go the size 2 for some room to grow, or if I should stick with the size 1... Any input would be great!

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was hoping those with the Julius K9 IDC could give me some input on the sizing.

Sizing says:

Size 1

Handle on back

Size 2

Handle on back

So she could technically fit into either when it comes to the chest measurement. I'm not sure if I should go the size 2 for some room to grow, or if I should stick with the size 1... Any input would be great!

Get a size 2, I went chest measurements with my Aussie when he was still growing and he fits a size 2 at it's smallest. No way I would get a size 1 for a GSD, he would grow out of it smile.gif

Sizing says:

Size 1

Handle on back

Size 2

Handle on back

Get a size 2, I went chest measurements with my Aussie when he was still growing and he fits a size 2 at it's smallest. No way I would get a size 1 for a GSD, he would grow out of it smile.gif

I agree a size 2 will be much better than a size 1, :) They really are a great harness and stands up well to the chewing his mate the greyhound does on it when they are roughhousing :D

Edited by Yonjuro

Sizing says:

Size 1

Handle on back

Size 2

Handle on back

Thank you!