Dogs, Harnesses , And Hypotheticals

persephone

Ok .. so I have never used a modern harness on a dog - guide dogs, of course were all taught to walk in harness - but that is very different ! They were also all leather - and only worn when working ..

With harnesses the new best thing - also parks where dogs and owners mix it up - do folks remove harnesses when free running dogs?

I was wondering if a dog wearing a harness is more likely to be grabbed/dragged by another dog , being that there are now convenient "handles" /Tooth holds.

Conversely - has anyone heard of /seen dogs playing, or attacking and get jaws caught in parts of a harness ? I can imagine much panic and mayhem :(

Or - is this even possible?

Mind you , the small dog harnesses with handle, I have seen put to good use when dashing across roads & things like that .. grab and run LOL.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just bought a harness for my boy for a few of the reasons you mentioned. There has been a few times where I was struggling to grab his collar, so the whole handle thing seems useful, but also because where I attach the lead to his collar has ruined a big patch of his guard hairs from rubbing when walking. I'd be interested to hear about what the risks are too.

I don't often do much free play (like at dog parks), but I have a few dogs Nova regularly has a play with.

I left Novas harness on once and he plays with this dog regularly, and they normally both have good manners in play. But this time other dog just kept grabbing the back of Novas harness and trying to tug with it. So I took it off straight away.

So obviously now I always take them off first, but I am a big fan of harnesses with handles, they come in handy a lot especially when I'm short and the handle is at the perfect height for me to use like a traffic leash. I also found it super handy with squirmy puppy at the vet!

I take my 2 dogs to the dog park for a run most days and dogs that are wearing a harness seem to be able to play with no dramas.

I have no doubt they can enjoy themselves - however, if there is a scuffle , I am wondering if other dogs grab onto harnesses ....

My Husky plays...well like a husky. Meaning he plays rough and tumble with the bigger dogs. This includes running side-by side at great pace with both dogs mouthing. He has great jousts with a Rotti that is frightening to some who are not used to this type of play. It is always give and take and we pick and choose who he can play full pelt with. I am also very mindful of others wishes at this park.

So, more on topic - Ronin wears the Julius K9 harness with a handle. Never has it been caught up or snagged by another dog. I like the handle as I can remove him easily when I believe the arousal level is getting too high or I want him to chill for a bit.

I have seen some dogs with ill fitting harnesses or with straps loose all over the place. There is possibly a risk there but I am yet to see it.

post-49154-0-12659700-1405757901_thumb.jpg

My Husky plays...well like a husky. Meaning he plays rough and tumble with the bigger dogs. This includes running side-by side at great pace with both dogs mouthing. He has great jousts with a Rotti that is frightening to some who are not used to this type of play. It is always give and take and we pick and choose who he can play full pelt with. I am also very mindful of others wishes at this park.

So, more on topic - Ronin wears the Julius K9 harness with a handle. Never has it been caught up or snagged by another dog. I like the handle as I can remove him easily when I believe the arousal level is getting too high or I want him to chill for a bit.

I have seen some dogs with ill fitting harnesses or with straps loose all over the place. There is possibly a risk there but I am yet to see it.

post-49154-0-12659700-1405757901_thumb.jpg

Nova has the same harness as Ronin, the Julius K9 IDC. One good thing about it is that it has a snap that you can use to lock the handle flat to the back. Out of use the clip sits locked under the D ring.

Here's a photo of it from above with the handle free. Clip can be seen under the D ring with the writing on it.

post-44325-0-82489300-1405759181_thumb.jpg

Edited by LisaCC

Nova has the same harness as Ronin, the Julius K9 IDC. One good thing about it is that it has a snap that you can use to lock the handle flat to the back. Out of use the clip sits locked under the D ring.

Here's a photo of it from above with the handle free. Clip can be seen under the D ring with the writing on it.

Looks nice .. a good idea :) (& a K9 pro leash ? )

Looks nice .. a good idea :) (& a K9 pro leash ? )

Actually a custom made leash by a local man smile.gif It's lovely, soft and sturdy! Only just got it. Skyline Belts

Yeah I just bought that same harness after seeing people here recommending them, hopefully I chose the right size though :D

Do you use them for just regular walks around the block too? Did you train them to walk loose lead with a regular collar first? Did they start pulling again with the harness?

Edited by Things

My Husky plays...well like a husky. Meaning he plays rough and tumble with the bigger dogs. This includes running side-by side at great pace with both dogs mouthing. He has great jousts with a Rotti that is frightening to some who are not used to this type of play. It is always give and take and we pick and choose who he can play full pelt with. I am also very mindful of others wishes at this park. So, more on topic - Ronin wears the Julius K9 harness with a handle. Never has it been caught up or snagged by another dog. I like the handle as I can remove him easily when I believe the arousal level is getting too high or I want him to chill for a bit.I have seen some dogs with ill fitting harnesses or with straps loose all over the place. There is possibly a risk there but I am yet to see it.post-49154-0-12659700-1405757901_thumb.jpg

Oh and I use the K9 Pro premium leather lead - absolutely brilliant leads.

Yeah I just bought that same harness after seeing people here recommending them, hopefully I chose the right size though :DDo you use them for just regular walks around the block too? Did you train them to walk loose lead with a regular collar first? Did they start pulling again with the harness?

Its a whole topic in itself but for me;

Yes I use it all the time now for regular walks around the block and at the park.

Yes, I trained loose leash first.

No, he didn't start pulling on the Julius harness. :)

I recommend and use harnesses very sparingly.

My dogs mostly are off leash and collarless. Zig walks in a simple Blackdog martingale but Em has a harness - she is so, so, so birdy that she has a tendency to EXPLODE from a standing start to hunt, quarter and retrieve. The force on her neck is sudden, unpredictable and dramatic. It's not uncommon in field bred ESS. I prefer to train than walk her but I wouldn't have her running in a harness - too restrictive for my liking.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

No, I use this harness for walks where I'm going to do training and don't want people, children and other dogs coming up to him (it has signs saying "in training") as we had a lot of issues before we got this harness.

For example he will wear it out when we go to markets or to get coffee or walking down the main street.

He has flat collars and martingales for normal walks, and a lighter less restrictive harness for jogging.

Yes I taught loose leash walking first, both on collar AND with harnesses from a young age. No issues with pulling on the harness as I keep up the training.

Edited by LisaCC

Oh the reason why I use a harness for jogging is similar to TSD, running arouses Nova much more compared to a normal walk, and if he spots a kangaroo or sheep while we're running he'll try to go off towards it, and I feel more comfortable using the harness in that situation.

I'm just at the stage now where he doesn't consistently pull, but still easily gets distracted. He'll walk nicely (although clingy) to my side if he knows I've got a treat for him (he's extremely food driven, lol), but gotta start somewhere I guess. A lot better than he was anyway. Hopefully though he's actually getting the idea and won't start up again on a harness.

Edited by Things

Ok .. so I have never used a modern harness on a dog

Harnesses are good for two things, exercising a dog with a neck injury and training a dog to pull harder on the leash. Marketing of harnesses around gaining better control of a dog and eliminate pulling is about selling harnesses not training dogs. The best anti pulling device is a prong collar and the best of all is good training which can actually be done without a leash at all :)