Warm Dog Jumper For Mac

westiemum

Hi All,

I give up - I've searched everywhere that I can think of and used every possible permutation of search terms to find a warm jumper for Mac. Back length about 30 cm and girth/chest 45 cm. And the trick is it can't be too tight around his neck and preferably cut a bit lower to accommodate his laryngeal paralysis/tie-back surgery - so 'turtlenecks' are out.

After his latest huge vet bill last weekend I'm desperate to do everything I can to keep him warm and healthy. I'm really after a jumper or sweater - not a coat - I think!

I found a good cardigan on eBay but it was acrylic and I don't think it will be warm enough - and the wool ones out of the UK are not only expensive but will likely take ages to get here.

Any member of the DOL brains trust got any ideas of where I can find something for him fairly quickly? Other suggestions?

Thanks tons. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much aliwake - you're a gem - wool jumpers on special in the right size for once! Yay!! And if the neck is a bit high at that price I can simply unpick it for him. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks again!!thumbsup1.gif

Still interested in other suggestions... TIA

You could also ask Little Gifts, she custom makes lots of different styles to accommodate all kinds of needs. Not sure if you have Facebook Westiemum, but here is a link in case.

Little gifts

Thanks Coogie - I had no idea LG did such lovely stuff!! No I don't use FB - I closed my account years ago after it just became a time-consuming pest. Thanks tons smile.gif

Mine got theirs from the wolf den a week or so ago. I love them!

mine are the pull over variety as they sleep in them, but you can get them with zips down the back too.

very cozy :)

ETA photo :) post-42249-0-11059300-1405943969_thumb.jpg

ETA x 2, and they are loose around the neck for my guys :)

Edited by denali

Those knitted ones usually make the dogs itch & the leg holes are to tight especially if they have coat & unless they have back leg elastic the tops don't stay where they should & the knots :eek:

I would getting one made to fit him or simply buy a comfy coat that covers the sides well & stays where it should

Those knitted ones usually make the dogs itch & the leg holes are to tight especially if they have coat & unless they have back leg elastic the tops don't stay where they should & the knots :eek:

I would getting one made to fit him or simply buy a comfy coat that covers the sides well & stays where it should

Thanks and yep you're right showdog - the knots can be problematic - but if you'd had my vet bills over the last 13 months without insurance you'd do anything you can - another almost $800 jumped out on Saturday night - number five visit to the Emergency vet since 23 June last year - so I'll make sure I brush his coat daily when I take his jumper off. His coat is not the best anyway at the moment - he seems to be developing that 'old dog' coat if you know what I mean. And its not growing back well where he was last shaved for his drip - his front leg looks like a lamb chop!

And we're all house-sitting in the coldest part of the Adelaide Hills at the moment - and its freezing compared with the Adelaide Plains ('or 'the flat' as Hills dwellers call it!) - the Antarctic has nothing on this!!

Edited by westiemum

Mine got theirs from the wolf den a week or so ago. I love them!

mine are the pull over variety as they sleep in them, but you can get them with zips down the back too.

very cozy :)

ETA photo :) post-42249-0-11059300-1405943969_thumb.jpg

ETA x 2, and they are loose around the neck for my guys :)

Brilliant photo BTW denali - you're three are just beautiful!!!

Justice has the doggy pirate pyjamas by Hamish McBeth (as per aliwake's link) and they fit really well and keep him nice and warm and aren't tight around the neck at all. The rest of his pjs are made to fit staffies so wouldn't be any good for Mac. He also has a nice warm hoodie from The Sophisticated Pet but I don't know if the neck would come up too high for Mac?

Thanks Snook - I've looked at all the suggestions and gone with the three Hamish McBeth jumpers on special - one for each of them - although I doubt Andy is going to be very impressed - which means I have a spare for Mac when his is in the wash! Need to be very budget concious here at the moment with the mounting vet bills and the building project zooming along. I might look at the PJs at a later date (Mac can wear his jumper overnight if he needs it anyway.) And its just lucky the Chili Wrap from the Spohisticated Pet is sold out - I wouldn't have been able to resist - superb! laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum

Westiemum I knit jumpers that have a kind of slight V neckline. They look daggy off but they work on the dog! I only use 100% wool for the main body area because if it gets wet on the grass it wont make the dog cold and wet. I knit a new coat or two each week to sell on my market stall but also knit to order (currently knitting a double coat for a little shi-chon). I don't have them up on my FB page because they don't look that appealing but I have repeat customers on the stall so I know they work for the dogs. For Mac's size coats are $17.50 and I have different wools to choose from if someone needed one knitted to size. I usually do a different colour or fluffy edging on the collar edge and bottom.

post-33739-0-27759500-1405984331_thumb.jpg

post-33739-0-14475700-1405984486_thumb.jpg