3am Wee Time

Steph M

Hi!

Most of you here know Gus now, he's running for most spoiled dog title this year with his toddler bed and fancy jammies...

For those who don't, this is Gus, the happiest dog in the universe;

2EtidR3.jpg

Gus has a habit of asking for a wee most nights at about 3-4am. He has since he was a pup and we would wake him.to wee at that time (hes almost a year and a half) so I suspect its more habit than that he's busting. He will go when OH comes to bed (12 or so?) And I'm up by 6 to put them out. I know he can hold it longer, he's spent the whole day inside numerous times without incident, and if he happens to sneak onto the bed overnight (much discouraged, but sometimes he does what we call his black ninja routine and I don't wake up enough to shoo him off) he will stay asleep from 10-7.

I don't mind if its genuine, but is there a way to break the habit other than ignoring it or work out if it is genuine? Hes really good and always produces on cue so he always does a wee, but it doesn't always mean he needs to, if that makes sense. He will squeeze out a drop if asked and he's just done one and hasn't had a wee inside since 10 weeks.

So hard to ignore a cold wet nose or the creepy stare down and breathe down your neck routine he has down pat! And getting up at 3 to go stand in the cold sucks!

Are you praising him for going outside at 3 am? If you don't want to try forcing him to hold it. Try making it the most boring occasion for him. Straight out - Cue word - Straight in - back to bed. It may help him get out of the habit if he's learnt he gets praise for performing the act at that time.

Assuming he doesn't really need to go (and there's no medical reason) I would probably sleep him in a crate close to your bed. If he needs to go, he will whine and/or get restless but it sounds like he has a fair bit of freedom and this has developed into a behaviour chain. Wake up, bored, say hi to Mum, Mum wakes up and grumbles at me (yay! Attention!), go outside, wee, praise, back to bed. Gee that was fun!

Mine don't sleep with the crate door open until they are completely relaxed about sleeping through the night - less about toilet training sometimes and more about shoe and cat toy collections. Em knows that once she's had her goodnight biscuit she can switch between her bed and my bed and the bowl of water but that is it until told otherwise. Even if the cats are doing zoomies and Mr TSD is getting up early.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Are you praising him for going outside at 3 am? If you don't want to try forcing him to hold it. Try making it the most boring occasion for him. Straight out - Cue word - Straight in - back to bed. It may help him get out of the habit if he's learnt he gets praise for performing the act at that time.

That's exactly what we do. No faffing, no sniffing, no praise and certainly no getting in our bed for morning cuddle time.

Its not that I worry about forcing him to hold on, I know the jerk can, but the nosing and the snuffling and whinging beside the bed! Enough to drive me nuts.

I've always resisted crates as we just don't have the room or the inclination, I quite like them on their bed and they're pretty good. I might think about it though, TSD. You are the master!

And yes, perhaps he does get a leeeetle too much freedom. Ahem. Haha.