Puppy Jumping At/biting Our Young Kids Under 4

Wendie

Our 10 week old golden retriever sure is cure, but, any time our 21 month old son is on the ground (not always but often), she will jump on him and bite, his back if he is walking away etc. A trainer recommended getting between them, walking towards dog with 'uh uh' but that has not worked, so now trying to just pick him up and ignore dog. Also try time out for willow but she barks if in crate, outside or in laundry.

Feeling really anxious as it's pretty challenging with two kids under 4 to always watch and be there. I want to be able to put her outside if she does this, and ignore the barking to come back in but the kids talk to her through the glass so ignore doesn't help that. Thankfully I have understanding neighbours.

She is a delightful dog, but this, along with steeling food any chance she can get is challenging. We have a third child on our hands (first time puppy owners).

Any advice appreciated.

Thankful neighbours don't last forever & bad habits are learnt now challenging yes but you would have known this when taking on the pup so you need to make it work & that means both kids & pup learning the rules

What fun activities do you with the pup .

Outside shouldn't be about time out or a punishment ,outside is teaching the pup that a whole fun word exists out there where the pup can get some time out from children & have fun .

Teaching pup to be independent & happy to play on its own is very important so setting it up now for success means making changes .

The same applies to the crate the crate shouldn't be for when your frustrated ,learning to enjoy the crate happens at anytime ,so pup sleeps in crate,pup eats in the crate safely away from the kids .Ours love there crates because its enjoyable for them not the sin bin as such .They feel secure in there crates & will switch off themselves & chill if required to have the door shut BUT the kids need to be taught to not annoy or the crate needs to be placed in a safe area away from the kids .

Your pup just wants to play but it isn't acceptable so you need to either step in with a fun toy & encourage pup to play with the right toys & reward .

Training isn't about No but about the right options & encouraging it .

Chances are it has a certain time its more predisposed to doing this so make a note & plan ahead

Your puppy probably thinks your kids are other puppies, and is trying to play with them the way that puppies play. I don't know that for sure, but that's the first thing that pops to mind for me.

I would crate train the puppy so it can be in the same room as you but be separated from the children (and the children must be taught that they do not put their hands in the crate etc). Don't leave them unsupervised together ever. Get in to move the child before the behaviour starts, once it's started the game is already on so the puppy is being reinforced with even a small amount of "the game". In terms of putting the puppy outside, you need to stop the children getting to the glass so that the puppy has any chance of ever being calm while outside. Are you pupping her outside as a "punishment"? If you want her to spend time outside happily then don't use outside in a negative way.

Food stealing - that's an easy one. Make sure the food isn't somewhere she can steal!!! Again, the more times she does it the more times the behaviour is reinforced! So don't let it happen. I have a friend with a food stealing 10 year old and I can tell you as someone who has trained their dogs not to take food I find it a nightmare to have to think about clearing off every single benchtop when this dog visits.

I think you are brave taking on a puppy for the first time while you also have 2 such young kids. But take the time with the puppy now to get it trained so that it can live happily with your family. She is going to grow fast and be a big dog, much faster than your kids will grown. So put the time in to training while she is little, and then keep it up when she is big!!

Our 10 week old golden retriever sure is cure, but, any time our 21 month old son is on the ground (not always but often), she will jump on him and bite, his back if he is walking away etc. A trainer recommended getting between them, walking towards dog with 'uh uh' but that has not worked, so now trying to just pick him up and ignore dog. Also try time out for willow but she barks if in crate, outside or in laundry.

Feeling really anxious as it's pretty challenging with two kids under 4 to always watch and be there. I want to be able to put her outside if she does this, and ignore the barking to come back in but the kids talk to her through the glass so ignore doesn't help that. Thankfully I have understanding neighbours.

She is a delightful dog, but this, along with steeling food any chance she can get is challenging. We have a third child on our hands (first time puppy owners).

Any advice appreciated.

You may get some help also from this little book :) CLICK HERE

Thanks for your advice, noted re outside as time out, I won't do that. I am on the right track re supervising and anticipating, especially when my youngest wants to walk around with food in his hand (I can predict the outcome). The crate was in lounge and is a strict no go for kids, we feed her in there, has treats and she is happy to go in there which is good. Sometimes she barks when in there but I know this is because she needs some play time.

I have also made kids not eat their food on the little table but the big table so she can't get to it, that is much easier. So it is reassuring I am doing roughly the right things, just need to be consistent and like you have said distract with a toy or something else. I have trained her to 'come' so that works sometimes. The challenge is having time to give her to play, as time is limited. Yes brave for taking puppy on, I didn't realise to be honest but am so committed to her training, she can already sit, come, stay and is used to a lead around home also toilet training is going great and she sleeps happily all night (inside). So for a 10 week old puppy, this is the only challenge area, conversely the kids love to play with her too and there are good times.

Am I correct in the only way to stop her barking when outside is to ignore her? Not as punishment but if I get home and just can't get straight to her to let her in, she will bark.

Also this might be a really stupid question. But what are the best games to play with her? We play soccer, try to play fetch, any other ideas for inside? I am a first timer so any suggestions, also ways for the kids to play safely?

One thing I would recommend is that one of you commit to taking this pup to obedience training, preferably for at least the next 12 months.

In addition to learning manners, she will develop focus and a willingness to follow commands.

And it's amazing how well "sit" substitutes for a range of unwanted behaviours like jumping

With such young children you have to supervise and intervene while the pup is learning what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't.. Mouthing and jumping are behaviours you have to train out. Personally I'd have her on lead around you son, inside and out. If you cannot supervise, separate them.

I would have her crated at all times when the family is eating. Far safer for everyone.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Also place puppy on lead & have sit down time with your young children & encourage pup to be clam & quiet a challenge with your child but if you have help start training pup now to be gentle with the little one & it will also help the little ones interact .

Helping to brush the puppy at this age is great puppy learns to sit calming & the youngsters can brush puppy down the back .

Dogs are creatures of habit when you come home don't let pup in straight away & this includes whether she barks or not .

Her if you want pup to come in after being left out the first thing we do is go outside but not to greet pup as such but use it as part of toilet training as an excited pup will often forget to toilet so off we go "pee time : & once pup has weed its rewarded for that good behaviour instead of being told off for barking or left there to just bark ,if we still don't want pup in at that time the door is simply shut again ,we have two yards one with a doggie door access 24/7 & the grass side but if the door is shut then you sit patiently to wait .

Your pup will learn but you need to be patient but consistent it is also harder having a winter pup especially if its raining .

You can use baby gates if you have them as well so kids ine side puppy the other as it really is important for both parties to have time out & there time

The key is she needs her play time she will grow big quickly & become a powerful dog before you now it & its easier to train at this age then have to do it when there older & set in there ways

Definitely crate and pen train the pup. I would have a pen set up inside so the pup has a contained area to go in when you can't supervise her and the kids together. Trying to have your eyes on everyone all the time is near impossible and it is also extremely difficult to have a pup free roaming in the house without learning and practicing bad behaviours.