Canberra People

Remarkabull

So my husband has been posted to Canberra and we will be moving at the end of the year.

We will be looking for a rental and we have 4 dogs and 2 cats so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a suburb that the council is likely to grant me a permit for the dogs? We would also consider semi rural if that would help. Hubby will be mainly working near the airport but we don't me down a bit of a drive if it makes it easier to have the dogs.

I'm so excited and can't wait to leave Darwin!

Edited by Remarkabull

So my husband has been posted to Canberra and we will be moving at the end of the year.

We will be looking for a rental and we have 4 dogs and 2 cats so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a suburb that the council is likely to grant me a permit for the dogs? We would also consider semi rural if that would help. Hubby will be mainly working near the airport but we don't me down a bit of a drive if it makes it easier to have the dogs.

I'm so excited and can't wait to leave Darwin!

A lot of dog people who work in Canberra live in surrounding NSW because NSW laws at the moment basically amount to "however many you like as long as they're registered and no-one complains". It really depends on your tolerance for the commute. My OH and I live in Yass and commute, other common commuter locations include Bungendore, Captain's Flat, Queanbeyan, Murrumbateman, Bywong and Wamboin. The advantage with Yass and Queanbeyan is that there is a town with supermarkets, a hospital, post office etc etc. IOW, you don't have to go back into Canberra for the basics.

With Canberra itself, I will leave it to people like Haredown Whippets to comment, but it's not like places in WA and QLD where you have a kennel zone. There is also not a "council" per se but ACT Government, who licences for all of the ACT. You can pick just about any suburb, the killer point for the keeper's licence will be whether your neighbours object.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I've always lived outside of canberra. Wamboin, Burra and now we're in Captains Flat (this area is very dog friendly and rentals are cheap with big yards) but there are plenty of other good places which SSM has mentioned.

Goodluck with the move.

It takes my partner about 45 mins to get from Captains Flat to Queanbeyan so it wouldn't be much further to the airport.

If you're looking for a 40 min drive look around Wamboin,Burra,Carwoola,Rossi, Bungendore and Queanbeyan

Edited by Bjelkier

With Canberra itself, I will leave it to people like Haredown Whippets to comment, but it's not like places in WA and QLD where you have a kennel zone. There is also not a "council" per se but ACT Government, who licences for all of the ACT. You can pick just about any suburb, the killer point for the keeper's licence will be whether your neighbours object.

The rental market is a bit flat at the moment with all the job cuts so you may do better finding pet friendly accommodation than in the past. You will need a keeper's licence for more than 3 dog and as SSM says, the sticking point is neighbours. Most folk I know who've applied for them have had them granted.

It's pretty dog friendly here and lots of open space. I love it. :)

I moved from Canberra to Queanbeyan a year ago to find somewhere affordable that would take three dogs. I found that there were many more pet friendly rentals here at the time than actually in Canberra. And there are heaps of dogs around, every third house has one and you see people walking them around town all the time. Very convenient for the airport too :)

Oh, and as mentioned, you wouldn't need a permit for more than three dogs.

Different atmosphere to Canberra though, more country townish, so if you're looking for something a bit more metropolitan after Darwin you might want to go closer in to one of the Canberra town centres (not that it's anything like a 'real' city :laugh: ).

We shall have to have a welcome doggy get together when you get here!

Edited by Simply Grand

If you are getting a rental but closer in look for ones in Jerrabomberra or Queanbeyan. They are in NSW so better dog laws and reasonable distance for work. (If renting through your work they will hopefully have a few in Jerrabomberra. I also work near the airport).

Edited by espinay2

It takes my partner about 45 mins to get from Captains Flat to Queanbeyan so it wouldn't be much further to the airport.

If you're looking for a 40 min drive look around Wamboin,Burra,Carwoola,Rossi, Bungendore and Queanbeyan

Sutton Rd end of Wamboin only 15-20 mins to airport. Bywong & Bungendore it takes about 25-30 minutes to the airport. It's an easy drive with no issues even at peak hour.

Bungendore has shops, fuel, restaurants, cafes, galleries, two pubs & two vets; we are, however, the biggest users of anti-venene in the country - this is brown & tiger snake country!

We will probably try to get a house in NSW if possible. I dont mind the country town feel as long as it's not hours to the nearest city.

We could get a house through DHA but there probably isn't many down there to choose from.

I'd love to have a get together with the dogs once we settle in :)

Bungendore has shops, fuel, restaurants, cafes, galleries, two pubs & two vets; we are, however, the biggest users of anti-venene in the country - this is brown & tiger snake country!

This is an important point. I'm in the Yass region and where I am is mostly old sheep country converted to 15-40 acre lifestyle blocks. Despite being fairly close to the Yass River we would see about 1 snake a season. Friends in Bywong/Bungendore/Wambon seem to see many more of them, don't know why, some people say it's Lake George + all the bush. It's one reason why I'd be disinclined to move into that area tho', I used to really envy a fellow exhibitor's Bywong property until I realised how many snakes she deals with every season.

This is an important point. I'm in the Yass region and where I am is mostly old sheep country converted to 15-40 acre lifestyle blocks. Despite being fairly close to the Yass River we would see about 1 snake a season. Friends in Bywong/Bungendore/Wambon seem to see many more of them, don't know why, some people say it's Lake George + all the bush. It's one reason why I'd be disinclined to move into that area tho', I used to really envy a fellow exhibitor's Bywong property until I realised how many snakes she deals with every season.

Thanks for that tidbit about the snakes.

I am looking for a lifestyle block and have been looking at areas around Bungendore/Wamboin/Sutton etc..

I might change that and head towards Murrumbateman way.

Good to know Staffyluv. I'd rather be in a DHA house as they don't seem to have as many worries with the number of dogs or if I have them inside.

They seem to be a bit nicer than some of the privately owned rentals too, newer, better maintained etc, and more secure for you as a tenant so if you can get one, I would do it. Jerrabomberra (next to Queanbeyan, right outside Canberra but in NSW) has quite a lot of them I think.

The Lake George area is notorious for snakes. There is a property between Hoskinstown & Foxlow known as "Thuralilly", this was an important collection point for snakes which were milked for their venom. I have lived in Bungendore for 26 years, but have only ever had one dog bitten by a snake. I have owned 7 dogs in this time, 20+ horses & countless cattle, touch wood never had a fatality to a snake. I have however lost a couple of stable cats that have never come home..... :(

The advantage of being to the east of Canberra is in my opinion the coastal influence we experience during the hotter months in Bungendore. When the Braidwood doctor comes through at about 5 o'clock in the afternoon in summer the temperature can literally plummet. Very rarely do we have stifling, sweaty nights in Bungendore. The coast is also easily accessible, 1 hour 15 minutes away. For Defence personnel it is an easy drive to Russell & Campbell Park, & if you would like to stay for back to back postings, HQJOC is only eight minutes door to door. We have a lot of ADF & AFP families here with a dedicated liaison officer at the local primary school. We also have a medical centre with 5 doctors, a podiatrist, dietician, chiropractor, physiotherapist, gym..... & of course an awesome taxi service :D You don't get that in Murrumbateman, except for the latter! More info here www.bungendore.com.au

Thanks for that tidbit about the snakes.

I am looking for a lifestyle block and have been looking at areas around Bungendore/Wamboin/Sutton etc..

I might change that and head towards Murrumbateman way.

We do get snakes - browns and red bellies - and people have lost dogs to them. So it's not zero risk, but I think it's lower risk than those Lake George areas.

Yep, you should hopefully be able to get a DHA house in Jerrabomberra as they have quite a lot there as well as some newer areas of Queanbeyan. There is some in Bungendore but mostly occupied by people at JOC I think?

I live out the other direction (we have a property between Yass and Gunning). We do have some snakes here - cant get away from the blighters. But there have already been snake sightings in Bungers - I saw a pic of one seen in the township just this week!

I have friends in Wamboin.

Great rural area and good commute from there to Airport and Canberra.

They both work, kids at school in inner north Canberra.

Only concern there would be bushfires- as with any rural area.

Mostly owner-occupied out there, tho.

I just let our Canberra house and allowed pets (again).

Can confirm very flat market- rent is less than 18 months ago.

With pets, it pays to ask, even if the property says, "No pets".

Previous tenants offered $10 week more to have their pet Rotti. Huge dog isn't attractive to many landlords and he has dug up bits of lawn and scratched decking (no big deal IMO).

Usually pets come with a clause to say you'll have the place flea sprayed afterwards (regardless of whether or not your dogs have fleas).

We allowed pets because our lawn was already poor and house had tiles in living areas. Carpet in only average condition.

Would have been different story with new, cream, quality carpets throughout.

Good luck.