Male Vs Female

Hi my name is Kathryn Juraschek and I have two female cavaliers. Charlotte is a Blenheim and Allison is a Tri colour. These girls are my absolute world. Charlotte is amazing and a very relaxed.. Allison is a very strange cavi. She Is very small and very scary. She was also attacked by a German shephard when she was 6 months old. She cannot even go outside without Charlotte or eat or get left at home alone without Charlotte. She is extreamly dependant on her and it worries me. My husband and I think it may be good to have a third cavi to be there just in case and I would love to have another. Question is .. Boy or girl?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say a male, as groups of girls together can be such bitches :D

Seriously though, I don't think a male would be a problem assuming the females are desexed and the male gets done at a suitable age for the breed. Hopefully those more experienced than I will give you better advice though.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Edited by Yonjuro

Even if neutered the male dog will still probably have strong mating instincts around the females, whether that worries you or not .. :)

????

That surely depends on the male but my two male greys who were neutered at 4 and 6 ish have never shown any such inclination.

I'd go with a male personally. 2 girls are tough enough.

Are they both desexed? So long as they are all desexed it really doesn't matter which you choose. Cavaliers are pretty easy going and it's unusual for them not to get along. I have 5 girls and all live harmoniously along with other Cavs who come here for boarding.

Even if neutered the male dog will still probably have strong mating instincts around the females, whether that worries you or not .. :)

I have always had entire males with entire bitches - "strong mating instincts" kick in when the bitches are in season. Any other time the dogs don't dare behave so rudely, the bitches tell them where to go pretty quickly. Spayed bitches - no issue.

Humping, so-called dominance and all the other things people seem to think are automatic in entire males are training issues and the presence or absence of testicles makes no difference to how much training the dog needs.

OP - I'd go a male, as others have mentioned 2 bitches are enough to juggle. Even in a sweet breed like the Cavalier bitches aren't called bitches for nothing :laugh:

Really? Do you mean if the females are entire?

I have a male Cavalier and a female Cavalier. My neutered male has shown no mating behaviour towards the spayed female.

I have also had both male and female Rottweilers and the neutered males showed no mating behaviour towards the spayed females.

The OP did not tell us if her female Cavaliers have been desexed. Perhaps she might add that information.

Hi my name is Kathryn Juraschek and I have two female cavaliers. Charlotte is a Blenheim and Allison is a Tri colour. These girls are my absolute world. Charlotte is amazing and a very relaxed.. Allison is a very strange cavi. She Is very small and very scary. She was also attacked by a German shephard when she was 6 months old. She cannot even go outside without Charlotte or eat or get left at home alone without Charlotte. She is extreamly dependant on her and it worries me. My husband and I think it may be good to have a third cavi to be there just in case and I would love to have another. Question is .. Boy or girl?

Please tell us if your female Cavaliers have been desexed.

Before making the decision to get another dog, check with your local council. Many, if not most councils in Victoria have a limit of two dogs per property.

If your local council permits, I would add a male rather than another female. If you add another girl there could be squabbles between all three dogs.

Beautiful dogs to own AND to be owned by. Big welcome from a CKCS fan. :love:

Have you ever thought of getting help for Allison to overcome these issues?

That also may be a better option than another dog, imo.

I hope you will post photos of your dogs too.

We all love photos.

:D

Our male humps when he gets super excited, I wouldn't call it mating instincts and it's definitely not something that I would call a problem.

I have 1 male and 1 female and while I'm aware I probably projecting my own feeling on the matter as far as I'm concerned they love each other and they are so adorable together :p

I think someone here mentioned boys can be bigger sooks as well, so if you want a cuddle dog definitely go with a boy :)

Bitches do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason - nothing to do with mating instincts!

Yep. My intact male gets humped by a desexed bitch. Not exactly a mating instinct there.

I agree with the poster who suggested looking at other options for help .

3 dogs does not guarantee success ,whilst Cavies are very social creatures you have a girl who consider herself well down the pack & the new Cavie may not see her fit into the pack & the new dog may get on better with your older one & not work they way you think it will .

If your girl is so reliant on your older one that is how her world works at present changes may mean its hard for her to adapt so iw ould be looking at getting some very sound advice on how to best cope with her in allowing her to be more able to deal with the world ,she may also find a pup all to much for her & an older dog may fit in better