Heredity Of Dalamatian Spots

raineth

I had a quick google and couldn't find what I was after... so I'm asking here :)

In Dalmatians, is the heaviness/lightness of the spotting inherited, or is it random?

i.e. if two heavily spotted Dals were bred, would most of those puppies also end up heavily spotted?

I had a quick google and couldn't find what I was after... so I'm asking here :)

In Dalmatians, is the heaviness/lightness of the spotting inherited, or is it random?

i.e. if two heavily spotted Dals were bred, would most of those puppies also end up heavily spotted?

Very difficult question to answer - I have heard that there are some in utero effects (which may also influence pigmentation in the inner ear and therefore deafness) but I'm sure there are some direct genetic effects. Another problem is that pups are born white and it is very difficult to know what their spotting will be like when you see them at 6-8 weeks.

Wow that is interesting! I thought it would be a simple matter, but it sounds influenced by several things. Yes I can see how it could be harder to keep track of considering the pups often aren't fully spotted before they leave the breeder.

Thanks for you answer TSD :)

My pleasure. It's also interesting that spotting (like any markings) can really change your perception of structure too.

Ziggy is moderately spotted (which I like) - having spent time with his breeders' dogs and seeing lots of photos of their dogs from babies to adults Zig's spotting turned out pretty much as I'd hoped -although it was the last thing that made me choose him (I was fortunate enough to have pick from 9).

Gratuitous opportunity to post cute puppy pics…

DCP_0304.jpg

Sage26Dec06-4.jpg

LittleZiggy.jpg

L1010255.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

L1010623.jpg

Ziggy is just lovely :) that's a good series of photos to see the evolution of Zig's spots.

I know what you mean about the spotting almost creating a visual illusion, the same can happen with harlequin Danes :)

Must not look… can't get one yet...

My friends are getting one, so I get to have baby dally cuddles :rasberry:

Oh very lucky!

Dotdashdot might join in the conversation later. Her liver girls spots have changed heaps as she's grown.

Ah that's interesting, I'd be interested to know how long they keep changing for.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd check that BAER testing seems to be the standard for Dals? They don't need hip and elbow scoring for instance?

Ah that's interesting, I'd be interested to know how long they keep changing for.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd check that BAER testing seems to be the standard for Dals? They don't need hip and elbow scoring for instance?

I reckon Zig's continued to change subtly until he was around 18 months of age.

BAER is really important - not just of the pups but knowing the history as well. However! Finding a vet with a functional BAER machine is a whole other story!!! If breeders don't BAER test I would want to know why.

Hips and elbows don't seem to pop up all that often from what I've seen - some breeders test, some don't.

Ugh the photos..... struck my weak spot... my love for Dalmatians! :cry: Soooo gorgeous. Someday, someday...

It's our evil plan….WORLD DOMINATION SPOTIFICATION!

Such fun dogs although I should dig out some old stories to remind you why my DOL name is "The Spotted Devil" :rofl:

the light/heavy of spotting does seem to be random, BUT from what I've seen, most breeders wouldn't breed a very light to another very light or vice versa. The breeder of my Nala kept Nala's sister because she wanted "more pigment" and I wanted a more moderate pattern. When looking at a dal pup, you are not seeing the full picture, those spots grow and grow and new spots appear and what looked moderate in a 6 week old can be fairly heavy in an adult.

Re. BAER, would never go with a breeder that didn't do it. For me when I breed this will mean travelling up to 5 hours with baby puppies but the things we do hey.

I am also planning on testing as many things as I can, hips/elbows, thyroid and other DNA tests. I plan on being fully transparent and don't want to say "it hasn't happened in my lines so I don't test" as some do.

Let your friend know that there is a great FB page for Dalmatian owners/adorers/slaves called Dalmatians of Australia and New Zealand which is great for dal specific stuff (diet is the most important, scary how many people don't realize)

AND PICTURE TIME!! (Love little Ziggy btw!)

about 6 weeks...

6f27d14c-91f3-4f08-93ea-1c34350daa8d_zps9d985c05.jpg

12 weeks I think...

8029d923-d54d-4441-a379-55748bcb04bf_zps61c7e3f1.jpg

5 months...

nalastack5mo_zps77564889.jpg

my two side by side....I will also post a photo of a little Cleo

UK1A4318_zpsd6596415.jpg

Cleo016.jpg

Ugh the photos..... struck my weak spot... my love for Dalmatians! :cry: Soooo gorgeous. Someday, someday...

It's our evil plan….WORLD DOMINATION SPOTIFICATION!

Such fun dogs although I should dig out some old stories to remind you why my DOL name is "The Spotted Devil" :rofl:

Yes please! I want Spotted Devil stories!!!

the light/heavy of spotting does seem to be random, BUT from what I've seen, most breeders wouldn't breed a very light to another very light or vice versa. The breeder of my Nala kept Nala's sister because she wanted "more pigment" and I wanted a more moderate pattern. When looking at a dal pup, you are not seeing the full picture, those spots grow and grow and new spots appear and what looked moderate in a 6 week old can be fairly heavy in an adult.

Re. BAER, would never go with a breeder that didn't do it. For me when I breed this will mean travelling up to 5 hours with baby puppies but the things we do hey.

I am also planning on testing as many things as I can, hips/elbows, thyroid and other DNA tests. I plan on being fully transparent and don't want to say "it hasn't happened in my lines so I don't test" as some do.

Let your friend know that there is a great FB page for Dalmatian owners/adorers/slaves called Dalmatians of Australia and New Zealand which is great for dal specific stuff (diet is the most important, scary how many people don't realize)

AND PICTURE TIME!! (Love little Ziggy btw!)

about 6 weeks...

6f27d14c-91f3-4f08-93ea-1c34350daa8d_zps9d985c05.jpg

12 weeks I think...

8029d923-d54d-4441-a379-55748bcb04bf_zps61c7e3f1.jpg

5 months...

nalastack5mo_zps77564889.jpg

my two side by side....I will also post a photo of a little Cleo

UK1A4318_zpsd6596415.jpg

Cleo016.jpg

Thanks for the info and the photos dotdashdot! Very insightful :)

They do already have a ped Dal, so they are clued in with the diet thankfully. I love how Dals keep getting more at a over their first year or so of life, I would never have guessed!

And where the spots are on the dog, is that random too?

So hang on, Nala is your liver spot, and Cleo is the black spotted? They are both very beautiful :)

dotdadhdot, am I correct in saying that your black spotted dally would not be acceptable/ideal for the show ring because some of her markings (ears & throat) are too heavy? Blotches rather than spots.

I love the baby photos. Oh the others are nice too. LOL

Edited by Airedaler