Puppy Preschool On Central Coast - Around Gosford, Nsw

Skysong

Hi everyone,

I will be picking up my 9 week old Sheltie baby girl next Saturday and would like some recommendations on puppy preschools around the Gosford area! Preferably within a 20 minute drive, so might include Gosford, Woy Woy, Erina and Ourimbah. I've looked at a few vet run ones as well as the one at PetStock Erina but I'm having a hard time choosing. How do I know if it will be good or bad? I know it is an important learning experience so I don't want to make a mistake on it. Can you tell this is my first puppy? :laugh:

Thank you muchly for any advice or recommendations you can give!

Woofs and wags - Gail is lovely and experienced, classes are small, and she has a range of classes you can follow on with after the puppy preschool or you can continue with formal obedience elsewhere. She also runs classes in a few different locations. I went to both vet- run classes and hers and Central Coast Obedience at Kincumber previously and I've gone back to her to start with for our new puppy. The vet one wasn't bad in any way, but it was a bit basic for what I wanted and we spent a lot of time listening not doing.

Link is http://www.woofsandwags.com.au

• 2 months later...

I'm starting her puppy school at Point Clare 30/10. I took my AmStaff to Gail and she was great. And the Amstaff was hard work! She runs ongoing classes and more advanced classes so hopefully Ernie will be going for a while yet. It's good for him; it's great for me.

• 2 weeks later...

How did your first class go Stress? Passed this info about Gail onto my mum & she is contacting her today. Mum lives at Ettalong so it is very handy for her. Hope my plan works out as mum has a 6 month old ball of fluff with attitude that she needs some help with.

I like Gail. She's very much into lure or positive training and she's realistic about what people want out of a pet rather than an obedience/agility dog.

BUT:

you learn techniques for training your dog, you practice them and she moves on. She expects you to practice what she teaches and it's painfully obvious who trains one night a week and who works with their dog outside of class. It's a bit of organised chaos, as pups of that age are idiots and there's a lot of desperate attempts to play in class - which is why it's so important to practice. She's only finished the second week of class, so your mum might be able to join mine. Get your mum to call her.

Sounds great Stress :thumbsup: will suit mum I think. Heres hoping she may be able to join in. Mum's little Jedda has unfortunately been let run riot by all accounts & is quite full of himself. Mums inexperienced & this pup is pretty bright from what I've been told. So hopefully Gail will be able to show mum how to get him back on track. He is dreadful on lead as mum has allowed him to pull her pretty much where ever he wants to go. He is also quite fearful as well though, especially of other dogs/loud noises. So will see how he goes in class hopefully. I would of been able to help her but she would rather go to a professional which is the best idea really :)