Dog Beds

Ranga

Instead of hijacking Whiskeys Mum's topic, I thought this could be a thread of its own.

Little Gifts posted this link about making your own non sew dog beds ...

www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=236744.0

So, I made one this afternoon from an polar fleece blanket and a spare pillow ... Well, OH doesn't really need a pillow does he? :eek:

Here's the result ...

th_1355cad477e69875b066db548e385ad7_zps1186a393.jpg

But there's always room for one more ...

th_ee300eac77329ab4829eda4671de4b2b_zps808b5301.jpg

I notice I'll have to tie a couple of the ties more securely judging by the last pic :o

My aunt gave me two MASSIVE pillows to use as dog beds (golden retriever sized but look like a normal lounge throw cushion) because she couldn't find anything big enough to cover them with. I think I have a solution now! :thumbsup: this looks perfectly suited to my level of DIY ability

I think that will make almost 10 beds in the house for the dogs....not including lounges :o spoilt much?

Great job, I'm thinking of doing one, just have to work out what to use for the stuffing

As I said in the other thread my dogs 'help' me with the stuffing. One destroys pillows so I put the stuffing into something I can close (I have old/large zip up cushion covers) and give it a wash then dry. I then shred it again to fluff it up a I stuff the new beds. The same dog also destroys human doonas regularly so again, I put the bits into the big cushion cover, give it all a wash but then I cut it into strips and then down again into squares to stuff the bed as it wont wash well inside the bed as big pieces - it will imbalance your washing machine.

My other tip is to buy large ugly pillows from your local op shop. I recently found one selling cushions for 50 cents each and they were huge! Wash, dry and then shred the contents to fluff it back up and stuff the new bed. If you use recycled fleece blankets (fleece doesn't fray) or buy some cheap kids fleece blankets at Kmart you can make a large comfy bed very cheaply.

And here is a tip for cutting that fringing - cut yourself a piece of cardboard the width and length of the final fringe and just move it around the outer edge, using it as a guide to cut to. It saves loads of time measuring and marking - it doesn't need to be perfect.

In summer you can cover these beds with an old sheet or towel to make them a little cooler on the surface.

Here's one of our round models for those who didn't see the other thread. This particular bed is almost three years old so doing very well considering the fluff lover lying on it.

post-33739-0-11940400-1406382367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Gifts