Type Of Halti Recommendation

My friend is having problems walking a pretty wild untrained 9 month GSD.

I brought her a gentle leader but she managed to let the dog mouth this and its wrecked.

I used pa gentle leader but i did notice its rather fine for him.

What do people reccommend?

I only used one on my kelpie for a while and don‘t use mine now.

Is there some type better suited for a big dog

The main issue is the dog pulling and rather bad lunging at other dogs. I don’t see this behaviour if i walk with her as much as i take 3 dogs hence the GSD is happy as he is with a pack of 2 and half dogs then. The half being my chihuahua

Any advice welcome.

Also she is attending training and has seen a behaviourist recently. Dog is not aggressive just untrained.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the Black Dog Infin-8 & I really liked it. It's the only halti type dog gear I would recommend. Works slightly differently to all other halti's. It is a martingle collar with a nose loop. As your pup starts to improve on lead, you can just remove the nose piece. Well worth a look :)

I have used the Black Dog Infin-8 & I really liked it. It's the only halti type dog gear I would recommend. Works slightly differently to all other halti's. It is a martingle collar with a nose loop. As your pup starts to improve on lead, you can just remove the nose piece. Well worth a look :)

:thumbsup:

Timely explanation. Was returning to the thread to ask the differences between the Black Dog halters.

Off to find a measuring tape.

Thank you :D

The Petlife Halti brand head collar is a different shape to the Gentle Leader so could be worth trying too.

If your friend is comfortable using a head collar AND knows how to use it properly I think it would be more useful than a front attach harness on an already pulling GSD.

Edited by Simply Grand

There are not various kinds of Halti. There is only one Halti head harness.

There are other types of head harnesses but they are not Halti's.

For a well designed head harness I would go with a Halti. I think they're the best.

A head harness needs to be fitted correctly.

Sizing is very important. Also for success the infin must be adjusted to fit the dogs face correctly. I don't like normal Halti's

as the leash attachment is under the nose which tends to pull the dogs nose down wards. The Infins leash attachment is on top of the dogs neck as it is martingale collar.

Most certainly perse. I would get an expert in to help especially a GHD at 9 mths of age. Extremely important time frame in a dogs maturity. Sorry didn't notice what state this pup was in. If in Vic I would give Nekhbet a call.

I was addressing the Halti issue but I too think professional help may be needed.

Edited by BC Crazy

Halti and Infin8 are my personal faves.

However, if the dog is constantly chomping on it whilst walking you (they) have other issues e.g. anxious behaviour.

The Halti no-pull harness would be the only one I'd fit for a lunging dog because the front strap can connect to the collar, but even then, there is a big risk the dog could jump then lunge and slip one or both front legs out of the harness.

A good trainer should help with not only the choice of head harness but the fitting of it.

Yes, good point. Skip, do you know if the trainer recommended something?

SG...That is why I originally answered about the 'halti'requirment :)

I certainly agree now's the time to make sure they have really good help learning to control a GSD! And I do worry about people using a tool like a head collar without understanding all the additional training techniques you need to use with it.

Also she is attending training and has seen a behaviourist recently

Please advise your friend to seek a trainer who is breed experienced with GSD's, that is if you get a sparky male cocky and dominant, there are specific training requirements for young dogs exhibiting that type of behaviour. It's easily fixed, but not with head collars. Is he perhaps a working line GSD?

My friend is having problems walking a pretty wild untrained 9 month GSD.

I brought her a gentle leader but she managed to let the dog mouth this and its wrecked.

I used pa gentle leader but i did notice its rather fine for him.

What do people reccommend?

I only used one on my kelpie for a while and don't use mine now.

Is there some type better suited for a big dog

The main issue is the dog pulling and rather bad lunging at other dogs. I don't see this behaviour if i walk with her as much as i take 3 dogs hence the GSD is happy as he is with a pack of 2 and half dogs then. The half being my chihuahua

Any advice welcome.

Also she is attending training and has seen a behaviourist recently. Dog is not aggressive just untrained.

The lunging makes a head collar entirely unsuitable for this dog. I'd also not recommend a harness - you cannot effectively control a dog if you do not have control of its head. Even worse for larger dogs.

Your friend should ask her behaviourist for a recommendation but frankly I'd have the dog on check chain and be doing some intensive training to regain control.

I'll take you word for the fact that the dog is not aggressive but a lunging out of control dog is not what I want to meet on my walks ESPECIALLY if it is in a halti or harness.

The lunging makes a head collar entirely unsuitable for this dog. I'd also not recommend a harness - you cannot effectively control a dog if you do not have control of its head. Even worse for larger dogs.

Your friend should ask her behaviourist for a recommendation but frankly I'd have the dog on check chain and be doing some intensive training to regain control.

I'll take you word for the fact that the dog is not aggressive but a lunging out of control dog is not what I want to meet on my walks ESPECIALLY if it is in a halti or harness.

:thumbsup: lunging dogs need training, not over the internet prescribed equipment. Save the money for a good trainer with experience in GSDs like Amax said.