What Stupid Stuff Do You Say To Your Dogs?

I tell Tempeh my exact movements and how long I plan to be gone as I'm getting dressed. She lies on the bed looking at me and making all these quizzical noises. If she is involved in the outing I tell her our full itinerary and timelines too! If I don't she pukes in the car. If I tell her she just lies on the floor in the back and goes to sleep. She's a weird dog. I do love her!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only recently realised I have a habit of saying "Whatcha doing Luka/Jenna/Mya?" Even though the answer, if they could give one, would most of the time, be "Just sitting here" :laugh:

I must say it 20 odd times a day :rofl:

After reading this thread, I realise my dog (if he understood) would have a huuuuuge ego. I'm always saying things like "Who's a gorgeous boy?" and when he looks at himself in the mirror in my bedroom "mirror mirror on the wall, who is the cutest whippet of them all?". :laugh:

He also has about a dozen nicknames (name is Astro... gets called Roo, Rooey, Roose, Smidgey, Whippy, Whippety Dippity, etc etc etc). Some people who know me from the dog park thought his actual name was Roo for a while.

I was just in the kitchen and the ads came on TV that were much louder than the show I was watching. I thought to myself "gawd that's loud" and then proceeded to yell out "Maddie will you turn that down please?"

I didn't ask Stan because he's too lazy :laugh:

Yep I've officially lost it :o

I was just in the kitchen and the ads came on TV that were much louder than the show I was watching. I thought to myself "gawd that's loud" and then proceeded to yell out "Maddie will you turn that down please?"

I asked Gruf to go in and get me more pegs this morning while we were hanging the washing out.

Oh goody! So I'm not the only person who does this :) I talk to Jester all the time. And my cats. My cats all have a zillion nicknames/pet names aside from their actual names.

Jester... well I say things like "Good morning my handsome boy and how are you? Is that a waggy tail for me? Why thankyou! I hope you slept well. I think maybe we should take you outside for a toilet break." Yeah I pretty much chat to him all day. He doesn't seem to mind. He just gives me a Sammy smile.

Studying from home atm and it's quite lonely while my partner is away from before the sun's up til after it's down. :(

I didn't ask Stan because he's too lazy.

Thats hilarious Hazy !!! You've cracked me up LOL :)

Edited by BC Crazy

I asked Gruf to go in and get me more pegs this morning while we were hanging the washing out.

As you do :laugh:

I always talk to mine. Mostly I say things like 'you are so good looking' or 'you're so handsome' to Arnold and I tell Simi that she is the prettiest girl in the whole wide world.

I also apologize when I'm going somewhere that they can't come and explain that it's because people are stupid and don't understand how special they are :)

We're moving at the end of the year and I've started telling them about all the adventures we will have.

Talking to your pets is perfectly normal.

It's when you transfer that habit to inanimate objects that it becomes a problem. Especially if you are out in public, and your stern "Stay!" to the wayward shopping trolley is overheard, or you hit the car horn with your elbow and tell it "Thank you. That will do, now!" embarrass.gif

I'm on night duty now and all I can think about was earlier today while I was trying to have a sleep I kept on giggling because I could hear my husband who was laying in the puppy pen with the pups talking to and singing nursery rhymes to our 4 week olds, I will be able to sleep tomorrow but geez he was so cute to listen too. :laugh:

Edited by Tapua

It's when you transfer that habit to inanimate objects that it becomes a problem. Especially if you are out in public, and your stern "Stay!" to the wayward shopping trolley is overheard, or you hit the car horn with your elbow and tell it "Thank you. That will do, now!" embarrass.gif

Hah yeah I have always talked to the dogs but find myslef talking to random object like the fridge etc as I go about my day. I think it is hereditary... i always thought mum was nuts when she did it, and now I am turning into her haha

My family all think I'm a bit ridiculous with how i talk to the dogs, but i think they appreciate it!

I had one of my pet sitting clients with a rescue dog that used to be used for breeding in a puppy farm. The dog was always very anxious, and the lady was getting to the end of her tether. She ended up getting a "pet psychic" to find out what was wrong (interesting option!) The psychic told the owner that the dog was scared of being abandoned, and never knew if the owner was going to come back when she went out to work etc. The owner was instructed that she needed to make sure she told the dog the schedule of the day, and when she would be home so that the dog wouldn't worry. Apparently, this made a huge difference, and it was part of the instructions while I was looking after the dog that i had to let her know i would be back in the afternoon etc etc :)

Hah yeah I have always talked to the dogs but find myslef talking to random object like the fridge etc as I go about my day. I think it is hereditary... i always thought mum was nuts when she did it, and now I am turning into her haha

My family all think I'm a bit ridiculous with how i talk to the dogs, but i think they appreciate it!

I had one of my pet sitting clients with a rescue dog that used to be used for breeding in a puppy farm. The dog was always very anxious, and the lady was getting to the end of her tether. She ended up getting a "pet psychic" to find out what was wrong (interesting option!) The psychic told the owner that the dog was scared of being abandoned, and never knew if the owner was going to come back when she went out to work etc. The owner was instructed that she needed to make sure she told the dog the schedule of the day, and when she would be home so that the dog wouldn't worry. Apparently, this made a huge difference, and it was part of the instructions while I was looking after the dog that i had to let her know i would be back in the afternoon etc etc :)

From what I recall, Little Gifts had a similar experience with her Tempeh, worked for her too (hence Tempeh gets told all about the plans for the day :) )

Also talk to mine all the time - I look at their faces and think they are answering me. Mine are both GRs and they do "talk" - they whine and make little tipping sounds when they are excited. When they know we are going in the car the noisy excitement can't be contained.

I mostly call them gorgeous girls

From what I recall, Little Gifts had a similar experience with her Tempeh, worked for her too (hence Tempeh gets told all about the plans for the day :) )

It was so interesting hearing her talk about it... and great to see an owner willing to go to those lengths to try and help their dog. Gave me chills listening to her talk about it actually ... she also mentioned that there were spirits from some of her previous dogs who were buried in the back garden, protecting the home.

It was so interesting hearing her talk about it... and great to see an owner willing to go to those lengths to try and help their dog. Gave me chills listening to her talk about it actually ... she also mentioned that there were spirits from some of her previous dogs who were buried in the back garden, protecting the home.

Yep we were told by a pet psychic that telling Tempeh our plans would calm her. I think she said Tempeh was not the brightest puppy on the playground and got easily confused about what she was supposed to do so needed clear instruction and routine. So my morning explanations are similar to what I might give a pre-school aged child. No idea why it should work given she can't understand the words but it does. If we take her somewhere new in the car and tell her the details, including how long we will be travelling for (we even add something in about traffic just in case) then she lays down and goes to sleep. If the timeframe passes she will be up on the seat crying. If I don't explain anything then she will cry during the whole trip and add a puke in for good measure. I used to follow amichien bonding techniques with my other dogs so all this talking and sharing and explaining was something that didn't come naturally to me, but now I'm taking it to the other extreme!

I talk to the ducks. Chooks, passing Galahs. Worst thing I ever said to Jake was when we were out and he was having a meltdown in front of shocked onlookers and I yelled..." This is not fun for mommy anymore, say sorry". When he has a meltdown he often says "hubba, hubba." I think there were some pretty startled onlookers.

I remember when Lulu :) arrived it was quite a while before I bonded with her.I always had at the back of my mind I should have bought a Keeshond to replace my Katie who had died a couple of months earlier (Lu is. a JS).My friend,a dog trainer,visited one day and suggested Katies spirit was still around me.I was really surprised as she's very practical and very grounded.Anyway,I did as she said,sat and said to Katie I was o k and she could leave.(I felt like a real idiot) It did happen ! Believe it or not later that day Lulu sat on my knee for the 1st time!I know,I worry about myself sometimes.....but we did get on much better after that!