What Stupid Stuff Do You Say To Your Dogs?

This is going to sound ridiculous but when Stella is being loud in the back yard. Barking lots which she can at times. I go out & say ," Stella May, you need to be quiet now darling otherwise I'll have to put you in the dogs home & they don't have meaty bones in there. Only PAL, yep thats all !!! Think about it !!! "

Hmmm.... wonder what the neighbours think about that LOL ;)

Edited by BC Crazy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to sound ridiculous but when Stella is being loud in the back yard. Barking lots which she can at times. I go out & say ," Stella May, you need to be quiet now darling otherwise I'll have to put you in the dogs home & they don't have meaty bones in there. Only PAL, yep thats all !!! Think about it !!! "

Hmmm.... wonder what the neighbours think about that LOL ;)

:laugh: I tell Stan he's going back to Hawkesbury Pound when he's chucking a tanty because he wants food.

I say " RIGHT, do you want to go back to Hawkesbury Stanley? It's just up the F3, not far you know!"

He just gives me that vacant Stan look that always makes me laugh so I walk away mumbling "and it's not funny Stan" :laugh:

Everything I say to Sid is stupid, I guess - he can't hear me. But I chat away to him anyway.

Is Sid deaf? I never knew that.

Assuming that is what you mean, there is a deaf Dally who comes to our local dog park sometimes, I know full well she's deaf but I always talk away to her like I do to all the other dogs :laugh: I catch myself and feel like calling over to her owners that I do know she's deaf, I just can't help myself :o

I work from home most of the week so I have lots of conversations with the dogs (in the few minutes they are awake laugh.gif).

I have absolutely no idea why, but I talk to Patch (but not the others) in a spanish accent (Hola Patchy!) embarrass.gif

I've always talked to all of our pets, probably because Mum & Dad did it as well.

Our neighbour has a cat, and when they go away I look after her. The first time she asked me to do it, she said that she felt comfortable that I would take good care of their cat because she hears me talk to our dogs and chooks all the time, and her cat (and chooks) need to be talked to as well as they would be sad if no one was there to talk to them. It made me feel good that she was willing to leave her babies in my care while she went away for about 4 weeks :)

I'm always telling Harry he is the bestest boy dog in the world, and Whitney that she is loved and she is in a safe place (she's a bit anxious with storms and loud noises)and nothing bad will happen to her. Also, I tell them what they're having for dinner, and whether they can some of our leftovers, and anything else that pops into my pea brain!

I talk to my dogs all the time. They get a running commentary about what's going on during the day and the reason why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I talk to and sing to my little deaf Cavalier. I always have done, more for my benefit than hers I guess, but I couldn't not talk to her. She knows when I'm talking to her, she watches me closely and can see my lips moving. I get a tail wag when I say something to her. She is totally deaf to all sounds.

My boy Cavalier who hears well seems to understand a heck of a lot about what I'm saying to him. He has his own song and recognises it when I sing it to him.

I used to talk or sing to my dogs all the time until one day I realised that it was making my reactive dog anxious. She would keep looking at me trying to understand my prattle. Now I only use words she already knows and she is much more relaxed. When we meet another dog we just keep walking as if it didn't exist and she no longer lunges and plunges at the end of her lead.

Yep, it happened a few months ago. No one really knows why, something really deep down. He watches my face a lot more now, so he stares at me when I chat away.

Oh that's sad Huga. I'm sorry to read this, poor Sid :( Very unusual too I would think.

Thanks BC. We're ok though :) Lucky he had hearing previously, so we have something to work with - he knows sit, drop, stay, come etc, all from hand movements. Everyone assumes it's because he is white, but his hearing was tested as a pup and came back fine. And I know he could hear me when he did his ET, because he'd try to drag his breeder over to me every time they went past and I was chatting to someone. LOL. He's recently had a middle ear infection, which has affected his balance (he has a permanent head tilt right now) - so he obviously had something happen really deep in his ear to cause it. The bloody little bugger never shows any signs of infection though and has left the vet puzzled because he has great big ear canals and erect ears. Sorry to go OT.

Guest donatella

I ask mine to make me a coffee every morning...if only!

Edited by donatella

I've always talked to all of our pets, probably because Mum & Dad did it as well.

Our neighbour has a cat, and when they go away I look after her. The first time she asked me to do it, she said that she felt comfortable that I would take good care of their cat because she hears me talk to our dogs and chooks all the time, and her cat (and chooks) need to be talked to as well as they would be sad if no one was there to talk to them. It made me feel good that she was willing to leave her babies in my care while she went away for about 4 weeks :)

I'm always telling Harry he is the bestest boy dog in the world, and Whitney that she is loved and she is in a safe place (she's a bit anxious with storms and loud noises)and nothing bad will happen to her. Also, I tell them what they're having for dinner, and whether they can some of our leftovers, and anything else that pops into my pea brain!

That's a lovely post, Flashsmum. You sound a lot like me, too. :)

Only thing is that I even start conversations with strange dogs... & assorted animals... that I meet. Less pet-loving friends have often remarked that I can't walk past a dog without saying, 'Hello!'. I even spoke to 2 wild galahs on my morning walk... they were pecking away in the grass & I said, 'Morning, guys. Enjoying your breakfast?'

Edited by mita

Oh I feel so normal.

:thumbsup:

I talk to the dogs all the time.

I talk to the 'tiel all the time.

I talk to the Cockatoo when I am outside doing the washing or gardening.

Even spare a few words for the SO.

:rofl:

Nowdays I sing to both dogs when I am in the bathroom. *coughs* Dog bum in between my legs means back tickling whilst I sing to them.

Great thread.

:love:

Oh no.... do you all really mean to be saying that some people don't talk to their dogs :confused: . WOW, that is wierd! :eek:

Yep, dog talker here too, but then I spend my days with just the dogs, and chooks, so I have to have someone to talk to.

Di